What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

True Blood season 1 (HBO) (1 Viewer)

mylan

Screenwriter
I think Maryanne is one of those entities that Sam referred to when Sookie asked him what all is out there and he replied something like " more than you know". She does not have Sam's shape shifter powers but was trying to shift with the pig.

Jason's new religion is going to clash with Sookie's lifestyle.

I thought it was a good episode, it certainly left me wanting more, however, I do feel like a glaring plot hole was when Sam and Tara were sitting around when Sookie awoke, as in "the gangs all here" when I get the feeling Maryanne wouldn't let Tara out of her house that easily. She is evil I just don't know what kind yet.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG

Well, it could be anyone, really, unless the books say it was definitely Lafayette. I hope not, I thought he was hilarious. And, even if that were him in the car, he doesn't have to be dead...

Now, a more interesting mystery: did Bill feed off Lafayette (or indeed any other human) to get better?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I think she's a demon or something along the demonic lines. Or that's the vibe I got when she laughed at Tara's suggestion of her being "a Jesus person" or referred to Sam as her pet (I know he can transform into a dog but I was thinking it had more to with her being an evil master) or even a simple thing like that she drives a bright red car.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
She could just be a plain old-fashioned witch. The pig being her "familiar".
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Jeff Pounds

Second Unit

Well he did tell Sookie that he "fed" didn't he?

I was thinking that it was a bit too obvious when it showed those scenes back to back...

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I think that other vampire chick fed off of Lafyette.. the one that got dumped on him.. I think that's what we'll discover. Who Bill fed off of or what will be up in the air. But his murdering crazy made vampire girl.. that's who I see as Lafyette's end.

(See how many viewers forgot all about that segment by the end?)

Jeff Pounds

Second Unit

I may not be remembering correctly, but didn't Eric arrive with the "annoying" vampire girl after Bill had recovered and Lafayette had gone missing?

IIRC, we saw the scene where Lafayette was attacked, followed by Bill showing up at Sookie's, saying he was recovered.

Then, wasn't there a "two weeks later" title card or something?

Following that, we saw Jason in the church, and then the scene with Eric dumping the "annoying" vampire girl on Bill, and then finally the last scene at the bar where they find the body.

This is all from memory, so it could be wrong... and of course they could be deliberatly messing with the timeline... but it seems to me that the annoying girl didn't even show up in town until after Lafyette had been missing for a week or two.

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
I just hope whatever got Lafyette was something pretty formidable. He was a strong character and didn't seem afraid of humans or vampires. Seemed like he should have put up some kind of fight. I guess they don't want to give away what happened.

Dennis Castro

Second Unit

Bill showed up healed awfully quick.

He did mention that he fed.

They showed Lafayette getting attacked by something that did not seem human.

I'm putting 2 &2 together.

I think that's what most likely happened to Lafayette

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"I think tight storytelling can be accomplished even having one book = one season."

After the heartbreak of Deadwood I said no more HBO shows. But like it or not, due to my Anna love, I am watching this weekly.

Yes they can do one book a season,but theres alot to cover. I doubt the show will run for 8 or 9 seasons. I dont know how long some of these characters appear in the books and such, but I hope we can at least get some resolution to the characters we're seeing now - in case the show gets the axe down the line.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
There are to many changes from the book to make me totally happy about this series. The show telegraphed who the killer was well in advance which the book did not. There was no Tara. Jason was not such a huge idiot. No crazy Jason's girlfriend. Andy Belfluer wasn't such an a#$hole. Casting, IMHO, hasn't been that good.

And yet, I'm still watching.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
That's exactly what the writers want you to think. It's Mystery 101. Relate two distinctly UNRELATED events (Lafayette getting attacked, Bill saying he fed in the next scene) in the audiences' mind.

It's traditional misdirection. Bill absolutely did not feed on Lafayette. Lafayette was almost certainly killed because he "threatened" the local politician. They showed that in the "Previously on...", meaning that it has relevance to the current episode. I assume it is relevant in the attack.

I can't say I'm too thrilled with the show. 13 episodes for Rene to be the killer?!? Not sure I'll be back for S2. I do appreciate the attractive woman quotient, though.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Yeah, I seem to be running on the same train of thought as others. No one character or story thread really stood out for me yet I watched the entire show. Maybe because its so atmospheric, I dunno. Must be the pretty woman quotient.

Love the opening credits and song though.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
I agree that there is a misdirection on about Bill feeding on Lafayette, however the "Previously on..." is little indicator of relevance to an episode. On HBO, these tend to be recaps of highlights from the immediately previous episode, instead of refreshers on important details from everything that came before.

Dennis Castro

Second Unit

I am well aware of that of that.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Normally I would agree with you. Bill is a bit obvious though It is possible that it could be something other than Bill. The reason why I say "something" is because of the way it was shot.

The jittery motion of the camera.
The POV prospective.
The speed at witch the camera was closing in.

Lafayette looking horrified with "Oh my god.." reaction or something to that effect.

These things suggest to me that it was something that was not human that killed him.

I have also seen this "Classic misdirection" used to make you think that it's not the obvious person and it turns out that it is.

Weather it was Bill or not I agree is debatable.

Vince Butler

Agent
Real Name
Vince Butler

This is my thought also. The politician looked pretty pissed after LaFayette left. Seemed odd they would build that up just to have LaFayette killed in an unrelated incident.

Also, considering Bill was buried in the graveyard between Sookie's and his houses, it seems unlikely he would go all the way to the bar to feed, then back to Sookie's place. More likely he found an animal or hit the fridge at his place for some Tru Blood.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
katarianig
Recent bookmarks