What's new

True Audiophiles are gonna PUKE when they read this!!! (1 Viewer)

Hi,
I have just recently became involved in HT. I have purchased a 53UBX10b and now find my AIWA NSX-V90 Dolby Prologic Bookshelf system to be lacking. I am currently lookin at the Denon 1602 or 1802 as an entry level receiver. My dilemma is that with the recent purchase of the RPTV and expected purchase of the receiver I will have to wait to upgrade my speakers. My question...I know it's hoky but all I can afford right now :frowning: ... can I use the speakers from my current system with these receivers? The salesperson at Bleeker in Ottawa says yes. Here are the specs on my existing speakers:
Centre- 30w 8 ohms
Fronts- 80w 6 ohms
Rears- 40w 16 ohms
Sub- 100w (powered ENERGY es-8)
Both Denon receivers state the following for speaker impeadance:
Front A or B / 6~16 ohms
A + B /12~16 ohms
Centre / 6~16 ohms
Surround / 6~16 ohms
I know this is a cheesy compromise, but it would be temporary until I could afford the Mission speakers that I currently have my eye on. Will this set up work? What are the pro's and cons? Will I be hurting the amp or speakers with this scenario? All input is appreciated! :)
Also want to know what people think about the AVR-1602 receiver. I am choosing it because of the Denon reputation and it seem to be the cheapest option for DLP II. Your thoughts?
Sonny

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Sonny yes you can use those speakers with the denon for the time being. Its far better to provide clean power to speakers then underpower them so its ok so use a 1000000 watt amp to drive speakers only rated at 10 watts...just means the amp will have a very easy time:)

Thanks Andrew....that's what I thought. With the 5.1 will I notice a huge disparity due to the serious wattage difference between fronts and rears? I stresss that this is only temporary setup (3-6 months max).

I appreciate the input!

Sonny

RicP

Screenwriter
Its far better to provide clean power to speakers then underpower them so its ok so use a 1000000 watt amp to drive speakers only rated at 10 watts
Eh...Sort of. While it's better to have more amp power than less amp power, going overboard can very easily blow the speaker.

In your example if you used a Million Watt amp to power a 10 watt speaker, if there is a heavy crescendo in the signal, there is a possibility that you could blow the speaker.

Bottom line is be careful and try not to run your system too loud until you upgrade the speakers. The one that concerns me is the 30w Center Channel. You might notice an imbalance between that and the mains.

If possible, an experiment you may want to try is to leave out the center channel altogether and redirect the signal to your mains until you upgrade. Just tell the Denon that you have no center speaker, and don't connect it. The Denon will re-route all center channel information to the L&R speakers and you wont be missing anything if you are sitting in the center of the speakers.

This may be an option if you notice that the 30w center speaker just isn't cutting it.

JohnnyN

Stunt Coordinator
The 1602 is great. I picked it up recently and in a small to medium sized room Movies sound great, it's not the greatest for 2 channel music, but it is very solid in all other respects.

Thanks for the info guys...I really do appreciate it. Johnny I am sort of wavering between the 1602 and the 1802. The 1802 has 80W per channel rather than 75 plus it seems to have a significant # of additional out/in puts. What kind of set up do you have? Do you find yourself wishing for one more input output?

Sonny

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
[sound of me puking]

Look at it this way. If you blow the speakers, their resale value is only ~$50 anyhow, and you were going to replace them anyway. Yes, you CAN blow speakers with a comparatively low wattage rating quite easily if you don't watch the volume carefully.

I do agree with the philosophy of upgrading piece by piece where I cannot buy everything of high quality in one swoop. I'd rather get good stuff, and buy it over time, then OK stuff all at once. When you upgrade your speakers, you might start with the center, then mains, then sub, then rears, depending on budget limitations.

Sonny,

I just bought the 1602 a few weeks ago and I couldn't be happier with it. I don't think you will really notice to much of a difference with the 70W vs. the 80W with the 1802. The extra inputs would have been nice but not worth the extra $$ for my setup.

Good luck!!

Again...great info..thanks for the posts. I really do like the fact that the 1602 offers Dolby Pro Logic II while most others only offer it on their units over $1000- (REMEMBER I am Canadian that only seem like alot to other Canadians ;) ) I think this is the avenue I will take.
Sonny

GregoriusM

Second Unit
I guess I'll have to be the one with a slightly different opinion.
I think you are much better off with the Denon 1802 over the 1602.
If you are going to keep this unit for a while, which it seems you are, then go for the 1802. I have noticed a difference in sound, particularly in the lower end. There seems to be more control of the sound at all levels.
You also get the 3 front channels pre-outs for if you want to use it as a pre-amp down the road.
I believe it is worth the extra money, which you will especially notice when you get your upgraded speakers.
IMHO! :)
... Greg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks