What's new

Troubleshoot new Denon AVR-1913 (1 Viewer)

David+H

Grip
Just unboxed and setup my new 1913 I got from Accessories for Less. Setup process was pretty simple and I am only runnign through HDMI and have 2 sources setup for now, a Directv DVR and a WD LiveTV Hub. All connections are good and I can see the feed back from the AVR on my TV (volume, source input, etc..) except I am getting nothing when I tune to my two sources, just the DENON logo across the screen. Any ideas? Is the HDMI input part of the board possibly bad? I know the monitor out has to be ok because I can see all teh setup menus and such on the monitor and network setup is good as I can tune to and hear internet radio.

David+H

Grip
Yeah I went thru the automated setup wizard when I first booted the unit up and set the inputs for both sources to HDMI. I don't think the HDMI cables are at fault because each one between the source and AVR have been used previously and worked. The long run HDMI that runs from the AVR in my home theater closet to the display is fine as well because I can plug it straight into my Directv box and get image and sound.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The issue "could be"...HDCP/Handshake.Was everything unplugged from the wall when you put the 1913 in? (by the way, that is the main reason you use some form of "power brick" for all your devices...UPS or whatever, makes no difference...so you can turn everything off...and flip the switch on the "power brick" or simply unplug it from the wall...and yeah, the UPS causes another headache...and yeah, you have to sit through the 15-20 minutes of the DTV box "waking up")Technically, that should make zero difference for the Directv box. I have no idea about the WD LiveTV.But the fact you can(apparently...cause you didn't say) hot-swap the AVR to Directv and get a picture means Handshake wasn't reestablished and the display(which is?) isn't communicating with the DTV and WD-LTV with the 1913 in the middle.

David+H

Grip
I plugged everything into the AVR while it was not hooked to the power supply and the DTV box and live hub were powered down but not unplugged.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
That still means "hot swap".

Anymore..."off" is unplugging the thing from the wall...

TV(especially LG) are prone to "absolute compliance with HDCP"...

Which typically means a rain dance, a seance and a ouija board are needed in some circumstances...

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Give you HDCP hiccups I've experienced...I have a Pioneer DV420 1080P universal DVD player. It is "blessed" with automatic HDMI detection. Everytime I rearrange the theater...I spend twice as much time making that thing work...than it takes to connect the entire rest of the stereo. The last time I unhooked it from the theater(to do my current review of the SVS Ultra)...it took 5 attempts over 2 days to get that thing to "wake up" and send a picture over HDMI. And it was connected exactly the same way, after, as it was before.My newest Panasonic. Everytime the power "blips"...I have to go in the room and let everything sit, unplugged, for about an hour. It wants nothing to do with the AVR, DTV, BD or DVD player.So yeah, HDMI is fickle beyotch...

David+H

Grip
My TV is a Pioneer Kuro Elite. So what would the remedy be? Unplug everything, reboot the AVR processor, and then start over with connections?

David+H

Grip
K...I will give it a try when I run home at lunch. If it doesnt work I will just leave everything unplugged for the rest of the afternoon and try it tonight.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks