What's new

Trouble installing in-wall speakers-please help (1 Viewer)

Jeff Aguilar

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff
As my story goes...
I just bought a new home and had included in my loan to have wiring and in-wall speakers placed in several rooms in my house. I also had about $8,000 worth of equipment included. Well, the guy who does the install stuff only installed wire and I am stuck doing everything else. I hate paying for things twice. Yes, I had my lawyer go after him, but to no avail.
Anyway, I got brave and ordered some in-wall speakers from HTD. I bought 4 pairs. I painted them today to match the walls. I mapped out where the first pair was to go and cut my first speaker hole. Right in the middle of the hole is a 2X6. My question is, since my speaker is only 2 1/2" to 3" deep, would it be a BAD idea to cut part of the 2x6 out? It is an exterior wall. This particular wall is two stories high and is vaulted. There is not a second story area in this room, it is just a vault. I thought I could use my drummel and gouge out a small area to accommodate the speaker.
Please give me your advise.
Jeff

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Why not put it next to the 2x6 and just patch the wall board? It sounds like this would only be several inches.

Gene Severn

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff,
You will have to move the speaker over so as not to damage the structural integrity of the wall.
Before you continue, go to Rat Shack or Home Depot and buy yourself an electronic stud finder...it eliminates the type of problem that you encountered.
Gene

Jeff Aguilar

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff
I guess I will get a stud finder. Thanks.
I thought my wife was a stud finder, she found me didn't she?
laugh.gif

Jeff

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Jeff, you might want to order (it's free) or download "Guide to Home Theater installation" from Crutchfield electronics. They give detailed isntructions and advice on things like these. One of the things they mention is that in a load-bearing wall, you can make a notch in the stud IF the notch doesn't exceed 25% of the stud thickness. Since a 2x6 is 5 1/2" deep, that means you can only make a notch that is MAX 1 3/8" deep.
Check here:http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...p?I=000HTINSGD
/Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks