What's new

Trouble deciphering Mitsu product line (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Can anybody nail down for me just what the major difference is between Platinum, Platinum Plus and Diamond sets?
Got a chance to look at a 55807 this weekend and was fairly impressed. Storeroom price was $2999 which was also fairly impressive, figured I might be able to do better getting a pricematch too if that is the (notoriously overpriced) The Wiz price.
Unfortunately I havent been able to put a Platinum head to head against a plat plus or diamond, and the mitsubishi-tv.com website is a nightmare, and their spec sheets in PDF arent much help.
Also, I noticed that some of the 65's come in a splittable 2 piece box, but it doesnt seem like any 55s do, is that right?
I take it all the mitsu sets will do 480i, 480p and 1080i, but I havent seen any that say they will do 720p.
Is anybody even broadcasting in 720p and should I be concerned about that?
Any 'Gotchas' that I should be aware of with the Mitsu sets?
Sorry for the Noob questions, need to do some more homework and answer a few questions before I drop $3k on a set.
Sam

Wolf Jenkins

Stunt Coordinator
A couple answers:
No 720p on any. As far as 720p, I personally don't think it will be the 'preferred' HDTV format in the end (I think we're going to have 1080i most places, but we'll see.) I personally don't think it's worth losing any sleep over.
Platinum Plus & Diamond have VGA inputs.
55" does not split - 65" and 73" do.
Diamond has the gloss finish exterior (some like it, some don't.)
Diamond supposedly has the best optics; Platinum Plus is supposed to use last year's Diamond Optics. (note: I couldn't tell a discernable difference.)
I'm quite happy with mine. It was calibrated and looks quite awesome. VGA input was important to me - the Dreamcast ROCKS on it. However, the Platinum line is still quite nice - if you want that, Pricematching at Sears is a good way to go (Sears only carries the Platinum line.)
HTH.
- A happy 55857 (platinum plus) owner...

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
While I'm pretty sure none of the Mitsu's have Firewire inputs, been wondering if any other manufactures sets do.
My Video Camera supports both 16x9 and Firewire, just wondering how good a direct digital transfer would look.
I've yet to try playing back the 16x9 recording on my current Direct View RCA anamorphic set, dang i wish that thing had at least front panel inputs.
Sam

Wolf Jenkins

Stunt Coordinator
Also, there is the 'Mitsubishi promise' - this is a policy of Mitsubishi's that they will upgrade your TV for a minimal cost to any new HDTV interface techology - IE they have pledged to offer a minimal cost (a couple of hundred) for a firewire interface.

Dean_L

Grip
I compared the two lines side-by-side. I went with the Diamond series WS55907 set. I couldn't be happier! I thought that the Diamond series had a better color depth.

Craig

Second Unit
If you're looking for a Mitsubishi RPTV you might try a price scan on the internet and take the lowest price to Sears and get them to price match. Try not to take a printout that includes (or mentions) shipping since I've read that Sears will try to include that in the price. Sears doesn't carry the XX907 models but on the other models a lot of people have reported that Sears has been very aggressive about meeting internet prices.
------------------

Leonard Gee

Auditioning
I've been looking at the Mits Diamonds (high WAF) ie. 46, 55, and 65 inch 16:9 HDTV's. I've been told that they "lock in full mode" like the Pioneer Elites. Is that true? Is it a big deal and is there a way to work around that? I guess for that problem alone, many HTF members recommend Toshiba.
My viewing distance is about 10-12 feet. What size HDTV would you suggest? Mostly used for DVD, some cable, and eventually HDTV off Sat if I can receive a signal.
Thanks.

Wolf Jenkins

Stunt Coordinator
"I've been looking at the Mits Diamonds (high WAF) ie. 46, 55, and 65 inch 16:9 HDTV's. I've been told that they "lock in full mode" like the Pioneer Elites. Is that true?"
They do not lock in full mode. These TVs work very well w/ the Toshiba 6200 - you can windowbox a non-anamorphic picture.
"My viewing distance is about 10-12 feet. What size HDTV would you suggest? "
As big as you can afford and has an acceptable WAF. It may look big at first, but it will seem small after a while (Should have got the 73" but would be homeless - maybe I could sleep in the box....)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks