Trigger Question

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Ray_C, Jan 24, 2004.

1. Ray_C

Ray_C Stunt Coordinator

Hello All,

Got a question about the trigger function on a Marantz MM9000 5-channel amp. Bear with me on this one. The amp has an RCA jack for a trigger in that's marked as 'video signal', originally intended for hookup to the composite video out of a TV or monitor out of a receiver. The manual states that this same trigger jack can be used for other trigger signals, from 5V to 13V. I'm using a Denon AVR-2803 as a pre/pro, and its trigger out is a mini-plug (typical 1/8" mini-headphone-type) that's marked as 12V max. Can I use the 2803's trigger out via mini-plug to RCA plug adaptor to control the 'power on' and 'standby' on the MM9000? Thanks in advance.

2. Craig_Kg

Craig_Kg Supporting Actor

It should be fine.

3. Ray_C

Ray_C Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the reply, Craig. Just wanted to make sure I had the right approach.

4. Ray_C

Ray_C Stunt Coordinator

Works perfectly. Thanks.

5. Leo

Leo Second Unit

Along this same line, I have a similar question, but I have 5 monoblock amps and 3 triggers from my pre/pro NAD T163. I want to trigger the 5 Marantz monoblocks. What's the best way to accomplish this?

Nevermind. I looked at the Marantz MA500 manual and found the picture I wanted. It shows a Marantz Preamp with a single remote connection and the monoblocks have a D-Bus (remote signal via RCA) in and out to send the signal from each amp to the next one in the chain. Sweet. Now all I need are the cables to hook this up.

6. George Caronan

George Caronan Stunt Coordinator

Ray C.,

Glad you asked this question as I was trying to do the same thing using my AVR5800. I guess I'll be going to Radio Shack to get an adapter.

7. Leo

Leo Second Unit

Well after further research it turns out that the Marantz Monoblocks us a proprietary remote trigger which can not be switched by other pre/pros (that sucks, but such is life). Just another reason to sell off these 5 amps and get myself the NAD T973.

8. Michael Mohrmann

Michael Mohrmann Screenwriter

Leo,

Your other alternative is to get some other Marantz amp that can accept a 12V or video trigger, like the MA-6100 or MA-700 monoblocks. The MA-6100 replaced the MA-500, and they have virtually identical specs, but the MA-6100 can accept a 12V trigger. From there, you can have the MA-6100 trigger the other MA-500s.

An option should you decide you like the MA-500s and plan on a 7.1 setup.

Michael

9. George Caronan

George Caronan Stunt Coordinator

This sucks. I bought the RCA adapter then realized that the Denon AVR5800 does not have a friggin' trigger but just a remote out to a second zone. Totally useless for the MM9000. What can be used as trigger? Video sensing won't cut it. Aaarrrggghhh. There is an amp out on it though but I don't know what kind of cord to use since the manual is a disaster in that area. Help!

10. Michael__M

Michael__M Stunt Coordinator

George ,

I have read others using a 12v adapter plugged into the switched outlets on their reciever to achieve a 12v trigger.