What's new

Tried my hand at cable making! (1 Viewer)

So after lurking here for awhile, I thought it would be fun to make my own component video cable and save some money. I bought some good RG-6 coax, and attached RCA plugs on the end. I even used colored electrical tape bands to show the red, blue, and green labels.

Then I got mad when I saw some RCA brand component cable for only $22. I thought, "well, I bet mine are just as good as that stuff." Am I wrong, is my homemade cable just as good, better, or worse than a mediocre grade component video cable? I had lots of fun making it, but now I'm almost worried that I could have spend $22, had less fun, but had alot better cable.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I usually use Chris White's web site for how to make cables.

Here is the trick:

- Do you know the frequency-response of the coax you used?
- Did you do a real good job of connecting the RCA plugs to the coax and are the RCA plugs designed for video signals (75 ohm impedence) or are they audio RCA plugs?
- Did you make sure all 3 wires are as close as possible to the same length?

These first 2 items are the real key to good video cables. Coax designed for the frequencies involved, RCA plugs as close as possible to 75 ohms (Canare), and proper connections.

The BEST way is to buy coax & connectors & tools all designed to work with each other. See the web site for exactly what to get to have this.

Even without all this, good parts and careful construction can give you a very good set of cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks