What's new

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
tremors_1280x720-1024x576.jpg

In the town of Perfection, Nevada, population 14, things are really shaking. Literally. Without warning a new species surfaces from deep underground: enormous, carnivorous worm like monsters. Thanks to Rhonda (Finn Carter), a seismologist from the local University, the townsfolk start to realize what they are up against and band together for survival. Val (Kevin Bacon) and Earl (Fred Ward) are two handy-men just about to leave town for better prospects elsewhere. Burt (Michael Gross) and Heather (Reba McEntire) are gun hoarding survivalists. Walter (Victor Wong) runs the only general store for miles. They and others in town devise ways to outsmart the beasts they christen Graboids. Turns out the Graboids are great at sensing movement while lurking under ground but completely blind when above ground. With supplies running out and the sun beating down, options are running out...

Continue reading...

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
At $60 it’s a steep investment, but if you love this movie as much as many of us do, it’s well worth it.
Thank you for your 4K review. I was able to purchase this 4K release for less than $33 from DD. The movie was a disappointment at the box office, but some of that blame is on Universal because they didn't know how to market this movie. I actually watched this movie in a movie theater in 1990 and it immediately became one of my favorite monster movies. I love this movie so my film grade is higher than 3.5. I like this movie so much a quote from Earl Bassett is in my signature.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Like you Robert, I was able to snag a copy at DD for $33, but I would have gladly paid $60 for it. This is a WONDERFUL release from Arrow. I might even venture to say that, as a package, it should be in the running for disc of the year. Thanks for the great review, Sam!

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I saw this when released in the theater too. I'm going to pick it up going by the positive review(and a bit of nostalgia).

Anyone know if any of the many sequels are good? I don't expect them to match the first one in quality, just fun monster movies.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I think 2 and 3 are REALLY fun. And though super low budget, the 2003 series was also really fun. 4 was less so but okay. 5 and 6 were good enough, but not super noteworthy. Haven’t seen 7 yet, and I’m honestly not in a hurry.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I think 2 and 3 are REALLY fun. And though super low budget, the 2003 series was also really fun. 4 was less so but okay. 5 and 6 were good enough, but not super noteworthy. Haven’t seen 7 yet, and I’m honestly not in a hurry.
I thought 7 was the best since the early films. I'm hoping for another, though the way this one ended it seems like a finale.

JoeStemme

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph
In honor of Fred Ward, I took a look back at 1990's TREMORS - one the best "50s movies" made in the past few decades. It's silly, hokey and a barrel of enjoyment. Fred Ward and Kevin Bacon should have done a series of movies together (and not just Tremors sequels). They made a great team, as did the gun nuts Reba McIntire and Michael Gross (with whom I had the pleasure of working with). It's amusing that Finn Carter is considered an 'ugly duckling' - only in Hollywood, eh? The whole cast obviously had a ball.
Brent Maddock and S.S. Wilson's screenplay get the tone just right, as does Director (and co-writer) Ron Underwood. As with CITY SLICKERS, Underwood never makes the comedy too broad, while still keeping things light (he has also directed the decent remake of MIGHTY JOE YOUNG and several episodes of The Walking Dead). TREMORS is certainly a 50s throwback, but it never condescends the genre nor makes an effort to endlessly wink at the viewer. It knows what it is and has fun with it.
The low budget effects are still quite effective. I have never bothered with the sequels, but, the original is still a 'buried' treasure.

Kent K H

Supporting Actor
The original film is basically a perfect film. Whenever someone gives it a backhanded compliment about being "so bad it's good" or "dumb fun," I honestly feel a little insulted, because it is a masterclass of set-up and pay-off.

The sequels? Second is pretty fun. Third, I can take or leave. The Jamie Kennedy ones are gawdawful.

But that first one should be taught in screenwriting classes.

JoeStemme

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph
The original film is basically a perfect film. Whenever someone gives it a backhanded compliment about being "so bad it's good" or "dumb fun," I honestly feel a little insulted, because it is a masterclass of set-up and pay-off.
Yes, the folks who compare it to something like THE ROOM or the Sharknado franchise have no idea what a great cult film truly is.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks