What's new

Trailer: BORN TO FIGHT. Thai stunt-acular looks aboslutely nuts! (1 Viewer)

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
Haven't seen this mentioned around here, but there's a new Thai action movie coming out called BORN TO FIGHT that looks like it might put ONG BAK to shame. It's from the writer/action choreographer of that film, Panna Rittikrai (I believe he directed, but no sure yet). This is exactly the kind of movie that got me into Hong Kong cinema 15 years ago. Real, raw action, with minimal wirework and what looks like almost no CGI, something that has plagued HK martial arts cinema of late. If Thailand keeps cranking out stuff like this, they might supplant Hong Kong as the action capital of Asia.

Story seems to concern a bunch of athletes banding together to kick large objects at the heads of a nasty regime that has taken over their village, but I wouldn't quote me on that.

Check this baby out:

http://www.borntofightmovie.com/media/movie02.WMV

Travis W.

Second Unit
I just saw Ong-Bak last night and I was blown away. A fun movie and some awesome fight sequences. Looks good but not as good as Ong-Bak. But I'll definitely check this out when I get the chance.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Damn! I'd forgotten how CRAZY overseas action movies can get! That fall from the semi was wild! Thanks for the link, Brian.

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
That fall from the truck is cool, as is the scene where the guy rides the motorcycle into the flaming shack and his body goes sailing out the other side. Un-real! I'm dying to see this movie!

CoreyII

Second Unit
Hey Brian thanks for the link to the trailer. Do you know when this film is coming out and is it going to be released in the states. Or do you think this will be like Hero and Ong Bak, a movie that will come out on DVD first before it gets released in the theaters.

I had a chance to buy Ong Bak at the San Diego Comic-Con but I decided to pass it up for some other things (tight budget). To be honest it didn't seem that interesting to me, it looked to be nothing but kicking and no upper body moves at all. If my assesment of the film is wrong please let me know.

Did I truly pass up a good action film. If Ong Bak is anything like Fist of Legend then I'll reconsider buying it.

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
There is upper-body fighting in ONG BAK, but due to the influence of Muay Thai kickboxing, there's probably more kicking going on, as there appears to be in BORN TO FIGHT. The story in ONG BAK is fairly simple: a precious statue is stolen from the hero's village by villains connected to an stolen art ring, and he undertakes the mission to get it back. Not the greatest story ever written, but a great framework on which to hang some very real looking fights and giddy stunts. Quite worth the money, although I think the only subbed version is the Hong Kong VCD. www.ethaicd.com has the unsubbed DVD, loaded with extras, for about $12 shipped, and as the story is not that difficult to follow, I'd recommend picking that up instead of waiting for the U.S. DVD release, which could happen who-knows-when. My only complaint about ONG BAK would be that it was a little longer than necessary for its story. I've heard it will be tightened a bit for international release.

I don't have much info on BORN TO FIGHT beyond that trailer. I'm not even sure if it's been released theatrically in Thailand yet, but it looks like it might top ONG BAK in the quantity of action department. I would imagine a Thai DVD might be forthcoming over the winter, but don't quote me on it.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i gotta say, with some of those moves that i saw, this movie reminded me of another.

any guesses??? ;)

gymkata - especially when i saw the girl on the uneven bars. :D

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
While I was certainly impressed by the stuntwork of ONG BAK, I was underwhelmed with the film itself. Thai filmmakers still have a ways to go.

I'll probably see this as well, but I'm not going to be in a big hurry to do so...

Jason

Cassy_w

Second Unit
You can Ong Bak on DVD via eBay. Imported with English subtitles. What a trip this movie is. This is the only guy I would ever compare to the young Jackie Chan of the 80's. Simply astonishing. :emoji_thumbsup:

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member

Aw, Ted stole my silly joke. I was watching the trailer thinking 'soccer ball, spinny horizontal pole, balance beam... what is this, Team Gymkata??' but then I was overwhelmed by the insane-o action stuff and it was fun.

Also count me in as an Ong Bak fan. That flick totally took me by surprise.

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor

Hell, I watched Gymkata once without sound!

Actually, it wasn't so bad that way...

Somehow, I suspect BORN TO FIGHT will be just fine without subs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks