What's new

Toshiba owners: Convince me that the 42H80 is OK to buy! (1 Viewer)

SteveA

Supporting Actor
I'm planning to take the plunge (at long last) and buy a 16:9 set in about a month. I've decided that based on my viewing distance (about 8 feet) and the desire NOT to overwhelm the room with an overly large set - the Toshiba 42H81 seems to fit my needs pretty well.

Lately, though, I've been seeing a few posts complaining about how the Toshiba upconversion to 540p causes a loss of picture detail with progressive-scan sources. Toshiba owners: have you noticed this phenomenon? How would you rate the picture quality when used with progressive-scan DVD players? I'm interested in hearing what actual Toshiba 42/50/57/65H81 owners have to say about this. Most of the complaints that were voiced were by non-owners.

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
I asked the same question recently. i'd still really like to get this set but I'm also concerned about this upconversion issue. Will other TV's show *more* detail with progressive scan? If it was downconversion I would understand, but i guess i just don't see how a LOSS of detail could occur with a progressive scan dvd and an HDTV television.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

While it is an issue with me ... as a calibrator ... unless you plan on watching only test patterns, I would be less concerned. You normally cannot see this interference and resolution drop on real world material.

Whether a DVD is played back at 510 lines resolution or 540 lines ... when it is moving, you cannot tell the difference anyway.

By itself, you will have a set with a great looking image. And unless you are strange, the set will sit by itself.

I just would not consider it because of what I know is not there.

regards

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
You normally cannot see this interference and resolution drop on real world material.
Especially true if you don't have another TV right next to it to compare to! *I* can see a small amount of artifacts in carefully chosen scenes, but I do this for a living. Even then, it would not deter me in the slightest from buying one of these sets. The 42H81 is an absolute delight!

Meaux

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Meaux
I bought a 50H81 because I don't buy a TV every year, my last Toshiba RPTV lasted me 10 yrs.with no problems, and sure I could've gotten it fixed but I was tired of the "square" screen, bought a new house etc. I wouldn't worry about all this technical ka-ka. All products have problems, Heck, I have 2 Porsches! No problem with my 50H81, I like it after 4mos. of ownership.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks