Toshiba owners: Convince me that the 42H80 is OK to buy!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by SteveA, Dec 20, 2001.

1. SteveA

SteveA Supporting Actor

I'm planning to take the plunge (at long last) and buy a 16:9 set in about a month. I've decided that based on my viewing distance (about 8 feet) and the desire NOT to overwhelm the room with an overly large set - the Toshiba 42H81 seems to fit my needs pretty well.

Lately, though, I've been seeing a few posts complaining about how the Toshiba upconversion to 540p causes a loss of picture detail with progressive-scan sources. Toshiba owners: have you noticed this phenomenon? How would you rate the picture quality when used with progressive-scan DVD players? I'm interested in hearing what actual Toshiba 42/50/57/65H81 owners have to say about this. Most of the complaints that were voiced were by non-owners.

2. Sean Patrick

Sean Patrick Supporting Actor

I asked the same question recently. i'd still really like to get this set but I'm also concerned about this upconversion issue. Will other TV's show *more* detail with progressive scan? If it was downconversion I would understand, but i guess i just don't see how a LOSS of detail could occur with a progressive scan dvd and an HDTV television.

3. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

While it is an issue with me ... as a calibrator ... unless you plan on watching only test patterns, I would be less concerned. You normally cannot see this interference and resolution drop on real world material.

Whether a DVD is played back at 510 lines resolution or 540 lines ... when it is moving, you cannot tell the difference anyway.

By itself, you will have a set with a great looking image. And unless you are strange, the set will sit by itself.

I just would not consider it because of what I know is not there.

regards

4. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

5. Meaux

Meaux Stunt Coordinator

I bought a 50H81 because I don't buy a TV every year, my last Toshiba RPTV lasted me 10 yrs.with no problems, and sure I could've gotten it fixed but I was tired of the "square" screen, bought a new house etc. I wouldn't worry about all this technical ka-ka. All products have problems, Heck, I have 2 Porsches! No problem with my 50H81, I like it after 4mos. of ownership.