What's new

Toshiba 36AX60 and 6500K (1 Viewer)

Larry Hoffman

Stunt Coordinator
I've had this TV for awhile and have set it up using Video Essentials. Before doing so I asked a tech at Toshiba which of the built-in color temps was closest to 6500K. He advised that it was probably the medium. There are Cool (blueish), Medium (neutral), and Warm (Reddish).That is how the owner's manual describes them.

Was the tech correct, or is one of the Cool or Warm settings the closest to 6500K?

If I change that setting, is it then necessary to set up the TV with Video Essentials again?

Thanks in advance for your assisstance.

Larry.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings
Now I have a machine gun ... ho ho ho!:rolleyes:
The Warm mode on the TV is the theoretical setting for being closest to D6500K. This is where the Movie mode sets the colour temp.
And regardless of what you read ... D6500K whites are neutral ... everything else higher than that are blue tinted. It is not reddish white ...
5400K is reddish ...
The problem is that you stare at things that are too blue for too long ... and then what is correct looks red to you.
Our very adaptive visual system at work.
Chances are slim though that even the warm mode on the TV is anywhere close to D6500K. It can often be all over the map.
Regards

Larry Hoffman

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Michael,

I'll try changing to warm and see how it looks. Also,

can a direct view set like this be calibrated? Can the temperature and grey scale be adjusted?

If it is a good idea, what should I expect to pay to have it done?

Thanks for your input.

Larry.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Grayscale calibration on this set is very straight forward and easy. (Without documentation, it can be done in 5 to 10 minutes if the person is skilled enough with the equipment.)

Expect to pay in the range of $250 to $300 CDN for this service.

Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks