What's new
World Wide Stereo

Toshiba 2.8 Firmware Problem (1 Viewer)

Barry A

Grip
I've got a HD-A2 player and I bumped it to 2.8 when the disk came recently. Since the update, I've noticed my player freezing when I try and rewind. It's doing it on multiple disks, both old and new, but it's not consistent. I've tried unplugging it for a while, but it hasn't made a difference.

Anyone else seen this? Is it possible to downgrade back to 2.7?

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I haven't bothered to go from 2.7 to 2.8 (and your experience is not encouraging). I recall reading (I believe it was at AVS) that there is a way to revert to the previous firmware, but it is NOT simple or easy. It involves changing code in hexadecimal format (something I would never attempt as, if not done correctly, it will wreck the player permanently and I am NOT skilled in such matters). Otherwise, there is no "going back".

Any chance these discs are dusty, smudged or scratched? With scratched rental SD DVDs, my SD player would sometimes have trouble rewinding/fast forwarding (not to mention playing--sometimes I'd have to switch to my hi-res audio player that, while not quite as good for PQ and a slower layer change (it's why I use it only for hi-res audio), has a much more powerful error correction capability--it has played through some really badly scratched rentals that no other player (including laptops, there are 8 other ones) in the house--I tested them to see--could get through without freezing or skipping).

I have noticed that with SD DVDs, my A2 is less tolerant of scratched rentals than my (formerly) main SD player. Perhaps it is a weaker error correction capability and not the firmware. Just a thought.

Ensign Eddie

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
Recently, I have had two SD DVDs lock up on my HD-A2 (with 2.8) while trying to fast-forward. Actually, I think I was starting and stopping the FF several times and eventually the picture froze and playback commands stopped being recognized from the remote. However, Display and Power Off both worked and the machine came back as if nothing happened.

I didn't really connect this with the new firmware, but I suppose it is possible.

Barry A

Grip
The disks in question were clean and scratch free. Most of the movies I've noticed it on were my own, not rentals. The fact that it froze rewinding a scene on "I Am Legend" last night prompted my post. I also emailed Toshiba, but they haven't responded yet.

Mine comes back fine too. I don't have to power it off, just eject it and close it again to recover. It's just annoying to get back to the spot I missed.

Sometimes, I've noticed, if I only go back at 1x, it'll work ok. It's when I try to go faster that it freezes. That wasn't the case on I Am Legend last night though. It frooze after a few seconds at any speed.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomkzufomsg
Recent bookmarks
SVS Outlet Sale