What's new

Toronto or Windsor Paradigm prices...need help! (1 Viewer)

Joe Hsu

Supporting Actor
Can someone in either Toronto or Windsor call their favorite local dealer and let me know what the current price is on Paradigm Monitor 7s and 9s? If I'm lucky, they'll still have some v2s left at a good discount, but if not, I guess I'll only be able to afford the v3 Monitor 7's.
Thanks to whoever helps me out with this...someone's selling some PSB 5Ts on audioreview, and I was very interested in those speakers, so I have to pick up my search speed on other speakers.
(Oh, and if you'd be so kind, maybe you could get me some prices on Axiom Millenia M60ti's?)
:)
EDIT: SOMEONE FROM TORONTO PLEASE PM ME. ^_^

Shawn Solar

Supporting Actor
Joe, no need to all the way to Toronto. There are a few dealers about 45min-1hour from the Niagara Falls border.
Gibby's audio and video in St. catharines, Ontario and East Hamilton Radio in Hamiltion Both just off the QEW highway or 406. I can call tomorrow for you. There is also a dealer for the new energy connsuier series nearby also. And a B&W dealer in the area. Let me know.

Joe Hsu

Supporting Actor
Thanks a lot Shawn, whatever you can do is appreciated...I just mentioned Toronto and Windsor since I frequent those cities. I might be interested in the Connosieur line, but I haven't listened to any yet, and I'm fairly sure that B&W is out of my range.
I guess if you could, PSB 5T or 6T's too. :)

james e m

Second Unit
Joe...
I live about a half an hour from you (New Baltimore) and I bought my Paradigm speakers from Live Wire Audio. I highly recomend them, go to the web page and email Bob and tell him that I sent you. They are great people and a great store. It's real easy to get to, it's only about 20 miniutes from the Detroit tunnel.
James

Joe Hsu

Supporting Actor
Thanks James....where exactly is New Baltimore? I know I've heard of it, maybe driven through it at some point, but I'm not quite sure about where it is.

As for Live Wire, I've talked to them in the past (Mark, not Bob, however), and I was just curious as to what other dealers were offering. Thanks for the suggestion tho

MikePeroni

Stunt Coordinator
Joe, Ive done the Windsor trip as well. I ended up at a great shop called Stereoland in Windsor (5 mins. from tunnel...dont forget your birth cert.)

They sell Def. Tech., Energy, PSB , Martin Logan and a few others. Even though I picked up the Energy Take 5.2 package (for a steal I might add). The PSB 5ts are awesome!! I went back a few months later with a buddy who bought the 4ts and hes extremely happy...

Wherever you go, dont forget to bargain for your best price. These places will come down in price if your persistant. A quote from another store works great too.

Mike

james e m

Second Unit
Joe...
New Baltimore is at the very end of Jefferson, I live in the area of 21 mileand Jefferson off of Anchor Bay. Kind of by 21 mile rd. and I 94.
Good luck with your shopping!
James

Kevin_W

Second Unit
Wow... sounds like a Southeast MI home theater meet is in order! :)
Joe... Pecars gave me great discounts on the Def Tech speakers I bought from them... can they give you no good deal on the Paradigm's? They are an authorized dealer for them. I just wonder what duty would be getting them back over the border.

Joe Hsu

Supporting Actor
Yeah, the duty thing has me worried...and as for Pecars, I haven't been there in a while, and I live just 2.5 miles away from them. :) Kevin_W, if you don't want to say on the forum, could you PM me what DefTech's you got, and for how much?
Paradigm, Axiom, PSB...you silly Canadians. :)

Joe Hsu

Supporting Actor
oh, heh, cool. :)
Now I just need some people to help me out with the prices. ;)
In the meantime, any suggestions as to which speakers would be best mated to a Denon 1802 and a sonosub (yet to be bought and yet to be built ^_^)?
Looks like I know what I'll be dreaming about tonight.

Not only no duty, the taxes are refunded as well. You'll pay 15% for taxes at the store, but about half that will be refunded at the border, then you mail in for the other half to be refunded. It took about 3 weeks for me to get my refund in the mail.

Kevin_W

Second Unit
Joe,

I bought BP8's, BP2x's, Procenter C2, and Denon 3300 from them over 2 years ago. I can't remember exactly I paid for each (as I got different percentages off for different speakers) but the discounts were in the 20-25% range... not bad considering some dealers give you no discount on Def Tech and I didn't even haggle for those prices.

But considering what Rich says, exchange rate, no duty, and refunded taxes are probably better than anything Pecars could do!

Kevin

Joe Hsu

Supporting Actor
Yeah, the BP-8's are one of the pairs I'm looking at...however, they're most likely out of my range. Guess I'll have to see.

BobJ

Stunt Coordinator
Not only no duty, the taxes are refunded as well.
:emoji_thumbsup: Thanks for the info. I knew about getting the taxes back, but didn't realize there was no duty. My brother is looking for some PSBs and he was thinking of driving up to Vancouver to try and get a deal. I'll pass the word along to him.

james e m

Second Unit
Where is this Pecars store? I've never heard of it. Is it worth checking out? I go to Almas Hi Fi or to the Gramophone. Just curious!
James

Kevin_W

Second Unit
Joe,
I went to Pecar's with the intention of purchasing the Monitor 7's or 9's... just had to listen to them and pick which one. I ended up walking out with Def Tech BP8's. :) If the bipolar design is something you're interested in, maybe the BP6's would be more in your price range.
Anyway, I am more than thrilled with the DefTech and they've served me well. Though I do often wonder what a whole Paradigm Reference Studio setup would sound like in my room.

Kevin_W

Second Unit
James,

Yea Pecars is one of the veteran hi-fi stores around metro detroit. You should see the install they did for Herman Moore of the Lions... They're on Rochester Road between 16 and 17 mile road. A couple nice listening rooms. Primarily a Def Tech, Paradigm, and higher end Infinity dealer for speakers. Also, there is A/V/S on Rochester Road *just* north of M-59. Good place to go see Pioneer Elite RPTV's and Klipsch.

How is Almas? I haven't made my way there yet but have been in Gramophone.

Joe Hsu

Supporting Actor
Yeah, A/V/S on Rochester also carries Bostons and B&W, not to mention Rotel and Denon.
I plan on dropping by Pecars after dinner and see what they'll offer me...seems like I have no chance in Canada with Paradigms unless I somehow find a place that still has v2's in stock, as the Monitor 7 v3's are 600 USD. (at least, that's what he says in email, but he can't go MUCH below that I'm sure)
Has anybody compared the PSB 5Ts to the Axiom M50ti/M60's? I'm really looking at those two right now, as Paradigm and DefTech are looking more and more unattainable. I like the aluminum drivers that I've heard, and I think those would be a little more suited to my musical tastes...(they should be a little punchier, tighter, right?)
Wish I didn't have to drive out to Farmington and Royal Oak to test PSB and Axiom, but maybe I'll just make a night of driving around and auditioning. :)

Kevin_W

Second Unit
Joe, may I ask what your budget is? BP6's list for $600 a pair, and maybe less if they can give you a deal. Though a bipolar requires some serious auditioning if you plan to use it for a lot of music.
Maybe even consider something like the Swan Diva series... I know its mail order, but definitely affordable and praised around here.
Anyway, good luck on your auditioning tour. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks