Tom Welling as Superman (Alex Ross drawings)

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Chazz_S, Apr 17, 2004.

1. Chazz_S

Chazz_S Supporting Actor

Wow, very strange. This is artists Alex Ross's sketches on Tom Welling (the guy who plays 'clark kent' on Smallville) appearing as Superman.

http://superherohype.com/superman/index.php?id=1205

When I first saw the headline for this, I was expecting to be BLOWN AWAY with the awesomeness of the portrait/sketch. I really respect Ross, and pretty much EVERYTHING he's done has blown me away(if you need any evidence of how great Ross' work is, check out his official site- linked in the story).

Well... frankly I think these two drawings look dead awful! And this is not even a commentary on Welling as Superman, I mean, just judging them as drawings- they look terrible! Probably the first things I've seen Ross do that look remotely anything less than spectacular. I'm really thinking they're fake, but reading the story it looks like Ross sent them to SHH directly..... strange strange

2. Shawn_KE

Shawn_KE Screenwriter

Maybe they were quick sketches.

Welling is still to young looking to play Superman IMHO. But since they have been unable to find someone, he is there best bet.

3. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

I actually like Ross's portrayal of Welling as Superman better than the way he usually draws Superman.

I'm not a big fan of the huge "S" though...

4. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    The one thing is that Welling would have to gain about 40 pounds of muscle to match those drawings.

5. Robert Anthony

Robert Anthony Producer

That S IS huge.

It seems like Ross is making Welling look a lot more feminine than he actually looks. Maybe it's the penciling? I mean--the 2nd picture looks like he's wearing lipstick. I dunno. Then again, Ross just did em for his own amusement as a rough idea, so I wouldn't expect TOO much.

That is one big ass "S" though.

6. Chazz_S

Chazz_S Supporting Actor

Undoubtedly. Still, I've never seen any Ross art that was less than amazing. That's what comes as a surprise to me.

About the body being too muscular thing, I just chalk it up to Ross basically sticking Welling's head on how he normally draws superman(with a big square jawed guy). I don't think anyone really expects Welling to bulk up like that. I don't even think he could, that's just not the way he's built. Not really a barrel chest type of guy.

7. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

The rendering in both pieces is great, but I don't think Alex really captured Welling's face.

I'd still buy a print of the second one, though [​IMG]

8. Bill Williams

Bill Williams Screenwriter

I have to admit, Alex Ross got Tom Welling's head quite a bit smaller for a really big Superman body. It makes him look more like Superboy a la HHH. Thankfully, it's only a speculative look.

Now when Ross did the four TV Guide covers featuring Tom Welling, Kristin Kreuk, Michael Rosenbaum, and Superman a couple of years back, he got Welling's face spot-on. But he does a great Superman that looks like a cross between George Reeves and Christopher Reeve.

9. Chazz_S

Chazz_S Supporting Actor

Oh wow, I didn't know he did TV guide covers for smallville.

I found the Lex and Lana ones on google image search, here's lex:

http://www.universohq.com/cinema/images/01120303.jpg

I gotta say.....those doesn't really wow me either. I'm beginning to think that likenesses just aren't his strong suit. And this is a fair playing field for comparison now since these are definitely fully painted finished pieces.

The search pulled up this image as well:

http://www.alexrossart.com/rossrepor.../superman.html

Amazing.

10. Chazz_S

Chazz_S Supporting Actor

11. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

[c]Paul H. Cassidy, 94; Gave S to Superman[/c]
    By Dennis McLellan
    Paul H. Cassidy, the first ghost artist for "Superman" comics in the late 1930s, credited with adding an S to the superhero's cape, died of natural causes May 15 at a senior facility in Milwaukee. He was 94.

latimes.com

12. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    I've seen those two sketches before months ago at the Superman homepage and am still quite impressed with them. They are very fanciful renditions of Tom as Superman, like how he would look a few years from now after he had discovered and accepted his calling and did some serious bulking up.

I'm telling you, if Welling puts on about 30-40 lbs and hits the gym really hard every day, the man would make one of the best Supes we've ever seen!

13. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

I think Ross is a amazing talent,but I really like his older work,like Marvels and Kingdom Come better. I preferred the looser style

Nowadays,his paintings look kind of plastic to me.

"I'm beginning to think that likenesses just aren't his strong suit."

He is very good at portrait(which is difficult). I just think those are bad examples and they do look to be quick sketches.