What's new

Toho kaiju classics coming to blu (1 Viewer)

Kent K H

Supporting Actor
News from expert August Ragone’s Facebook page. Sadly, like all Toho releases, not English friendly. But here’s hoping they’ll get US/UK distribution now that the scans are out there.

VARAN! GORATH! DOGORA! SPACE AMOEBA! ON BLU! OH MY! This coming June 15th (same date that "Gunhed" drops), Toho Video's two-disc set containing four classic fantasy films: VARAN, THE GIANT MONSTER (1958), GORATH, THE ROGUE STAR (1962), DOGORA, THE SPACE MONSTER (1964), and SPACE AMOEBA (1970) will debut for the first time on Blu-ray!

Special features have been ported over from these four movies' respective DVD releases, including the mono and stereo audio remixes, audio commentaries, etc., while trailers, video segments, still galleries, etc. have been up-converted from SD. This release, entitled "Toho Kaiju • Tokusatsu" (Toho Monsters & Special Effects) will retail for ¥8000 JPY (USD $65.50).

I'm really looking forward to this release of Golden Age classics, all directed by Ishiro Honda with Eiji Tsuburaya conjuring up the visual effects for the first three and Sadamasa Arikawa on the fourth!

Toho.jpeg

Last edited:

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
News from expert August Ragone’s Facebook page. Sadly, like all Toho releases, not English friendly. But here’s hoping they’ll get US/UK distribution now that the scans are out there.

VARAN! GORATH! DOGORA! SPACE AMOEBA! ON BLU! OH MY! This coming June 15th (same date that "Gunhed" drops), Toho Video's two-disc set containing four classic fantasy films: VARAN, THE GIANT MONSTER (1958), GORATH, THE ROGUE STAR (1962), DOGORA, THE SPACE MONSTER (1964), and SPACE AMOEBA (1970) will debut for the first time on Blu-ray!

Special features have been ported over from these four movies' respective DVD releases, including the mono and stereo audio remixes, audio commentaries, etc., while trailers, video segments, still galleries, etc. have been up-converted from SD. This release, entitled "Toho Kaiju • Tokusatsu" (Toho Monsters & Special Effects) will retail for ¥8000 JPY (USD $65.50).

I'm really looking forward to this release of Golden Age classics, all directed by Ishiro Honda with Eiji Tsuburaya conjuring up the visual effects for the first three and Sadamasa Arikawa on the fourth!

View attachment 132415
how many discs?

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
DOGORA, THE SPACE MONSTER (1964), and SPACE AMOEBA (1970) will debut for the first time on Blu-ray! Are definalt in my wheelhouse!! Also it would be nice to see - the Secret of the Telegian 1960 - Arrow just released the Invisable Man/Avanger 1954- Also on my hit list is the Mysterians 1957...and some decent BD of the Toho Frankenstine Counquers the World and the followup Giant Garganuas!!

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
DOGORA, THE SPACE MONSTER (1964), and SPACE AMOEBA (1970) will debut for the first time on Blu-ray! Are definalt in my wheelhouse!! Also it would be nice to see - the Secret of the Telegian 1960 - Arrow just released the Invisable Man/Avanger 1954- Also on my hit list is the Mysterians 1957...and some decent BD of the Toho Frankenstine Counquers the World and the followup Giant Garganuas!!
Keep in mind this Japanese release has no English. So we are all hoping that a US label will pick these up.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Keep in mind this Japanese release has no English. So we are all hoping that a US label will pick these up.
I was so fed up not having a decent copy of Secret of the Telgain that I biught the JP edtion, I do have a dvd -R copy that I bought years before and really, although some of the nuances may be lost, the storyline moves forward and is still enjoyable. It's always a trade off, subtiles or a nice copy...I learned a lot of Japanese this way, OL!!

Kent K H

Supporting Actor
I'm not saying to buy the blu ray, rip it, and find subtitles off the internet from previous releases that could be put together, but someone more enterprising than I am and with more time on their hands could probably make that work. Like I said, I'm hoping an enterprising label like Arrow or Shout picks them up and we get dubs (for historical context), special features, etc.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I'm not saying to buy the blu ray, rip it, and find subtitles off the internet from previous releases that could be put together, but someone more enterprising than I am and with more time on their hands could probably make that work. Like I said, I'm hoping an enterprising label like Arrow or Shout picks them up and we get dubs (for historical context), special features, etc.
there is a company doing it now under the name creatuefeaturevideos...they buy the blurays and then add the english subtitles, but they're all BD-Rs...@ $25 each + shipping. and although they are better than the DVDs they still aren't as good as the Toho BD editions...

Last edited:

Kent K H

Supporting Actor
there is a company doing it now under the name creatuefeaturevideos...they buy the blurays and then add the english subtitles, but they're all BD-Rs...@ $25 each + shipping. and although they are better than the DVDs they still aren't as good as the Toho BD editions...
I totally get the market for those. I was just trying to be very careful about saying that people should be working with elements they've purchased since I don't want to go anywhere close to advocating piracy, haha.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I totally get the market for those. I was just trying to be very careful about saying that people should be working with elements they've purchased since I don't want to go anywhere close to advocating piracy, haha.
Agreed, yet the bureaucracy of so many studios in the production of phisical media is a set up for outfits like these guys, andat $20-60 a pop is getting to be like the drug trade!!

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Is that a Kaiju walrus?
Yes, from the uncut Japanese version of Gorath. The US distributor deemed “Magma” silly (it is, I have a bootleg DVD of the original cut) and cut its minutes-long appearance, but a shot of one of its flippers is still visible in the American edit.

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
Has anyone been able to see if Varan PQ is a step up on the Tokyo Shock dvd ? Without subs and about $60 shipped Not sure its worth it though it does have 4 movies . Gorath is horrible.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I wouldn't buy them without the subs. These are meant for the Japanese audience and those around the world who understand Japanese and do not need the subs. I still feel like Criterion has them and on any given month they could do a set of non Godzilla Kaiju movies. Or they can do the whole run which sounds scary expensive as I read they bought the whole series of Godzilla movies.

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
Warning on creatuefeaturevideos , This guy does not know what he is doing ,Horrible bootlegs .
I wouldn't buy them without the subs. These are meant for the Japanese audience and those around the world who understand Japanese and do not need the subs. I still feel like Criterion has them and on any given month they could do a set of non Godzilla Kaiju movies. Or they can do the whole run which sounds scary expensive as I read they bought the whole series of Godzilla movies.
If you have a Panasonic or Oppo you can add subs yourself . This is a great collection . But need to know what the Varan is like compared of the USA dvd . NO way criterion and they would ruin it like the godzilla set and give us cartoons for covers . pass . Shout would do a great job , could be part of there Takusatu part 2 or or Arrow UK/USA

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Warning on creatuefeaturevideos , This guy does not know what he is doing ,Horrible bootlegs .

If you have a Panasonic or Oppo you can add subs yourself . This is a great collection . But need to know what the Varan is like compared of the USA dvd . NO way criterion and they would ruin it like the godzilla set and give us cartoons for covers . pass . Shout would do a great job , could be part of there Takusatu part 2 or or Arrow UK/USA

Before adding subtitles I'd have to get my hands on the dialog itself...yeah, thats not going to haooen anytime soon.

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
Before adding subtitles I'd have to get my hands on the dialog itself...yeah, thats not going to haooen anytime soon.
I can't find subs anywhere for Varan the japan version . Tokyo shock dvd has them but I do not now how to do it from another disc and then try to synch . The yen exchange rate puts the set now at about $57 at amazon japan , Cd japan price is way too high .

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Seems like Creature Features receives good feedback for his products, he has a lot ! Not really many complaints so he seems to know what he is doing , it can't be all that bad

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
Seems like Creature Features receives good feedback for his products, he has a lot ! Not really many complaints so he seems to know what he is doing , it can't be all that bad
Being he sells stuff that rare some people don't know any better and are just happy to have it .Probably watching it on there 15" laptop . Trust me I dealt with him , nightmare and rude , he doesn't know how to use software and you will get a 600mb blu-ray of something that's 20gb . His dvds are 300mb of a 4gb dvd . + all bootlegs . The only positive I have to say is for his Spanish stuff he pays a translator in Mexico that sits thru stuff and subs them word for word , Very tedious . So people just be careful what you buy . Reviews aren't everything especially buy ebay'ers

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks