What's new

Today's winner of... (1 Viewer)

Hunter P

Screenwriter
Anybody remember those SNL skits with Billy Crystal and Christopher Guest? They would moan about stuff like...

"Have you ever taken a really long nail and stick it in your ear? And then you take a...um..."
"A ball-peen hammer?"
"Yeah, that's it. You take a ball-peen hammer and just start wacking at the nail all the way into your head."
"Yeah, I hate when that happens."

(In case you were wondering, I watched too much TV growing up.)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I hope they're prosecuted as terrorists. "It was just a joke," should no longer be an accepted defense.

And this is not sarcasm.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Really, that should be saved for....um...er...when exactly is a good time?
I always thought finals week was an appropriate time. Of course, that was back in the carefree days when hardly anybody worried about getting shot at school, and "bombs" consisted of a couple of firecrackers in a cardboard tube - more Wile E. Coyote than Osama Bin Laden. :)

Currently the cops are looking for the last of several suspects in a "prank" that involved setting off pipe-bombs packed with M-80s in mailboxes. The mailboxes were shredded, covering the area with shrapnel. Only sheer luck in the timing of the explosions prevented anyone from being injured. (One exploded only minutes before the mail truck arrived at that house.) After two bombs exploded police found several others and disarmed them without incident.

The dry-ice bombs the kids at the link made were a far cry from the explosives and metal bombs the freaks around here were responsible for. I'd say the dry-ice kids were stupid and irresponsible, rather than vicious and evil. Granted, a dry-ice bomb can cause a serious explosion and injuries, but the guys responsible probably didn't know that or didn't really believe it. Regardless they should be held accountable, but I don't think they should be treated as severely as the high school kids who packed four or five M-80s into a sealed pipe, stuck it in a mailbox on a weekday afternoon as the mail was being delivered, lit the fuse and drove away.

Regards,

Jod

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
In fairness to the guys responsible for this, they gave themselves up after they realised the danger in what they'd done after the first bomb went off:

"But after they saw stories about the incident on TV, they came to us. They realized they had erred."
They're fools, but I don't think they're evil. However, punishment is not just about making the perpetrators see the error of their ways, it is also about sending a warning to others. The sort of moron that makes bombs 'as a prank' will have a take-home message of 'they got on the news but no real harm was done' unless there is punishment of some sort as well.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i agree with andrew 100%. the kids were at least smart (and mature) enough to realize what they'd done and come clean. that's more than can be said for most.

i agree we need to drop the bomb on them (ugh...) to let people know that sort of stuff isn't tolerated, but i don't think we need to be overly heavy-handed about the whole thing.

boy, when i think about the things i got away with in high-school and college... :b

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
but i don't think we need to be overly heavy-handed about the whole thing.
But I bet you'd be signing a different tune if it hurt or killed someone.

Imagine if someone you loved was killed by it. Do you think the fact that those kids didn't mean any harm would make it any less of a loss to you?

Why does a loss of life have to make things more serious? It shouldn't.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
But I bet you'd be signing a different tune if it hurt or killed someone.
totally agree. if someone was actually injured or killed it would be a whole different story.

but i believe you have to judge each case on it's own merits.

Hunter P

Screenwriter
New DumbAss winner today:

I know someone whose kid goes to this school and she told me that they had a copy-cat bomber today. They found another dry-ice bomb today in their school. Since the cops have the original kids in custody, this is a brand new genius.

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
True story:

During my senior year of high school, four boys (all who I knew very well) decided to "bomb" our Band teacher's house as a prank because they didn't like him. The pipe bomb they made was more powerful than any of them realized and minutes after they hurled it out of the car while driving by, the house was up in flames.

This all happened about 9pm and luckily half the house was saved. The part of the house that burned down included their 7 year old daughter's room. Luckily, though, the girl hadn't done all her homework that night so she was still in the living room finishing it up, otherwise she would have been in bed sleeping.

Three of the boys were sophomores and after they were expelled, they all moved in seperate directions to live with relatives because no school in the city would accept them. The forth boy was a senior but because he had already completed the state requirements for HS graduation (this incident happened in February) he was still able to get his HS diploma. Incidentally, had he actually been allowed to attend the graduation ceremony, he would have been valedictorian. The upside, I guess, to all this is that I got bumped up from 4th in my class to 3rd. The "Top 10" was thus renamed to "Honor graduates" because "top 9" just doesn't have the same ring to it. He also managed to get his probation transfered to California where he started attending Standford on a full scholarship.

I have no idea why I wanted to tell this story. I don't know how the 3 younger boys faired, but this senior was obviously very intelligent and even with his punishment (expulsion and 5 years probation) it didn't seem to damper his life one bit.

Eric Mitchell

Stunt Coordinator
From the story: "Deputies neutralized the unexploded bombs by shooting bullets into them, releasing the pressure in the plastic bottles."
Is it just me or does this seem like a funny way to disarm dry-ice bombs? Wouldn't bullets do large amounts of damage, as opposed to tossing a garbage can over them and letting them go of on their own accord? Or maybe just hit them with a stick.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks