What's new

To whom it may concern....... (1 Viewer)

David Keith

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys, just a pet peeve of mine, and no hard feelings please, but here goes,

bass = the lower octaves in the audio world !

base = 3 square cushions on a ball field i.e. :
first BASE, second BASE, third BASE ! And before anyone goes there, home is home plate, not home base.

bass = also a fish, but we rarely talk about fish around here, so we pretty much know that bass means BASS !

It's all good.......

Tim Stumpf

Stunt Coordinator
I think your pet peeve is baseless. I think you have a bass bias. To put it into Seinfeld term, you are the opposite of a high talker, which you would think would be a low talker, but in your case it's a bass talker.;)

David Keith

Stunt Coordinator
Tim,
Actually you are correct. I am a bass talker, but not a low talker. I have a feeling this thread will end up being alot like a Seinfeld episode.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
LOL. I ranted about this one before as well :crazy: Unfortunately, it's one of those things spell check wouldn't catch also.

Also love: There and their, your and you're.

Tim Stumpf

Stunt Coordinator
It's acutally "allot" according my Word spell checker, but what does Bill Gates really know? Also, I have a question. If you were to compare one subwoofer with another, would that be considered a bass tournament? This thread is starting be smell kinda fishy!!:D

GrahamT

Supporting Actor
It is "a lot" as in a large quatity, a large amount. "Allot" means to distribute.

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
LOL!!! Thats nothing.

I hear people call center channels = MIDRANGES, subwoofers = A BASS, normal speakers (like a bookshelf speaker) = A TREBLE, and so on.

Grrrr....

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
I lived in Tasminia for a year, I know ;)

BTW, you guys get BURNED on audio gear prices - but a very cool country, I would love to live in Sydney.

Richard_M

Second Unit

Tasmania, lovely place pity about the two heads though:D

Audio prices are much better these days, although still expensive compared to the US.

Sydney, great place to visit, very expensive to live there and property has gone through the roof.

Mark Seaton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark Seaton
Ok... If we are starting in on pet peeves and grammar corrections, let's talk abbreviations!

When someone travels 1 mile we abbreviate 1 mi. When that same person travels 10 miles we abbreviate 10 mi.

We don't write 10 mis. or 10 mi's.

When discussing Sound Pressure Level we talk about relative numbers in a logarithmic scale for power known as the Decibel. We abbreviate with the annotation "dB."

For the same reason we don't write 10 mis. or 10 mi's, we abbreviate 1 Decibel as 1dB, and 10 Decibels as 10dB. There is no need for the S!!! In fact it is incorrect notation. To be perfectly clear technical texts should specify at the begining of a paper or throughout what scale they are using. In our world of home theater, most of what we discuss as readings from the Radio Shack meters are dB SPL. We should in fact be more precise in our notation of dBA or dBC when weighting is applied.

If you want a great site to peruse if you are feeling geeky, check out HyperPhysics

For more direct information on the origin and meaning of the Decibel, check out this link at HyperPhysics: Decibels

I feel better now. :emoji_thumbsup:

Cheers,

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
Hey all you English teachers out there give us a small break would ya. Alot of us Base or Bass folks arnt fishy.
Not bad huh?

Mike~Sileck

Supporting Actor

clever mike, but hey, if we're gonna go all out, make it: Alot of us Base or Bass folks ain't fishy.

:-p

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks