What's new

To boost or not to boost? (1 Viewer)

John_Bilbrey

Second Unit
My JVC 9010VBK has the "bass boost" feature along with a 5 band electronic eq. I haven't messed with the eq yet, but I have played with the bass boost function. My question is this: is it acceptable to use this function? The reason I ask is that I don't have a sub yet and I'm using some 3 way Kenwood towers with 10" woofers. I haven't noticed any audible distortion or anything negative like that. It sounds better to me due to the lack of a sub, and of course that added low end helps things out quite a bit during movies/etc. Will the purists give me grief about using this function?

Duke

Stunt Coordinator
If it sounds good to you, then do it.

just be carefull not to blow you speakers, too much boost could cook the woofers.

You may find that you grow tried of the boost after a while.

I use my bass boost or loudness button for low level listening only.

John_Bilbrey

Second Unit
Yeah, I noticed it really helped out at lower volume levels. It still sounded good at higher levels, I didn't notice any distortion which could damage the woofers. With my center and surrounds set to small, I didn't think any bass would be routed to the them.

John Desmond

Stunt Coordinator
Purists may well give you grief but it is what you like that counts. Do be careful. You may not hear audible distortion, but if those woofers are asked to go beyond their limits too much, they could be damaged. The real long-term solution is to get a good sub and let it do the dirty, er deep work:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks