What's new

Tivo Basic Service in a Standalone Unit? (1 Viewer)

AnthonyJS

Agent
I see companies are planning products that incorporate Tivo Basic Service in them (e.g. Toshiba's PS DVD player w/ Tivo). I was wondering if anyone knew if any manufacturers are planning standalone units that only have the hard drive and Tivo Basic Service? Or will I never see my ideal VCR replacement?!? :frowning:

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Note sure what your ideal product is.

All current Tivos have some sort of Tuner, be it OTA or satellite, plus they will accept an external A/V source. My older Sony 2000 is used with cable (for locals) and DTV via an S-Vid connection. In essence my current box matches your ideal, plus there is an RF tuner in there.

I am also not sure what Basic Service entails, but I suspect it simply the standard Tivo functionality that has existed since day one, minus the Home Media stuff.

If you are envisioning a Tivo without having to pay for Tivo service, I don't see that happening, but there are other HD recorders that work just like VCRs, and some use other guide data sources (Gemstar, etc.).

That may be more what you have in mind, but you give up virtually everything that makes a Tivo a Tivo (extended guide data, search capability, season passes, etc.).

I have read a few posts from people that just don't see the point of paying for all that. Fair enough and to each his own. I can say though that Tivo changes the way you watch TV in a profound way.

It is the only piece of gear in my A/V system (which includes DVD, DVD-A, SACD, HDTV, etc.) that my wife would NOT let me get rid of.

BGL

AnthonyJS

Agent
Brian - what I'm looking for is a hard-drive and TV tuner in an A/V component-sized box! Our TV viewing habits do not warrant spending $250 (minimum) for a Tivo/ReplayTV unit and then $300 (or $13 a month) for service. If I truly felt that I would get all the benefits of a full-blown Tivo or ReplayTV I would already own one! During new TV season, the wife and I tape 1 or 2 shows per week to watch back on Friday night. I do not keep anything I tape. I'm just tired of dealing with tapes and looking for something that gives me better quality video than VHS. A DVD recorder would be the next step but again, $400 and now I have to deal with discs (of course, it does solve the video quality issue). As for Tivo Basic Service, from what I've read, it is Tivo without the program guide, etc. It still lets you pause live TV though.

I would imagine that I'm not alone as far as who this would be ideal for...

Tony

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
For a description of TiVo basic service, go here.

Never say never, but I don't think you'll see this stripped-down version of TiVo in a basic HD recorder anytime soon. It was created specifically for combo products, and as noted in the CNet article, TiVo won't be collecting a monthly fee from the enduser for the service.

A DVD recorder would be the next step but again, $400 and now I have to deal with discs (of course, it does solve the video quality issue).
Your best bet might be a DVD recorder with built-in hard drive (e.g., the upcoming Panasonic E80). It's more than you want to spend, but it will give you complete flexibility on what and how to record without the cost of a service.

M.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
For a description of TiVo basic service, go here.
Thanks Michael. I was unaware of that.

Interesting that one of the guys quoted in the article pretty much echoed Anthony's comment: Its too much $$$ for too little product.

I guess there is no free lunch. While you don't pay a monthly fee for service, you know damn well its built in to the price of the box.

BGL

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
Go find one of the older models on e-bay. They will still work, and if you ever choose to upgrade to the full deal, great. Plus, at that point, you're no longer staring over $500 in the face...

That being said, they do not record a lot, but they will give you the functionality...

Steve Owen

Second Unit
All current Tivos have some sort of Tuner, be it OTA or satellite, plus they will accept an external A/V source.
I think that statement needs some clarification. The DirecTV satellite TiVos do not accept external A/V source for recording. They can only record the bitstream from the satellite.

-Steve

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
I think that statement needs some clarification. The DirecTV satellite TiVos do not accept external A/V source for recording. They can only record the bitstream from the satellite.
Correction noted. My knowledge of DTivo has been limited by the fact that I have never been able or willing to do a DirecTivo because I can not get my locals via DTV.

I always found that a major shortcoming of the product. If there was an RF tuner and the required MPEG encoder, I would have probably jumped on one the day they were released.

Oh well, help is on the way, locals via DTV should be available in my city later this year. Of course now, I have HDTV in my rig, so I will be looking at an HD Tivo. Of course, I am sure there will be some sort of shortcoming where I will not be able to smoothly integrate it to my rig.

BGL

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Tivo 'Basic' sounds like worthless crap to me.
You really need to get in touch with your feelings, so you can better articulate your views:D

Yeah, I own a Tivo, and to me all the stuff that they leave out is, IMHO, what really adds value to the product.

I tried to make that point to someone in another thread, and the reply was basically "Who needs that stuff?" He said he knew whats on, and when its on, so all this guide data, wishlists, search capability was useless.

Whatever. To each his own.

I consider Tivo (and Replay) to be the single most revolutionary product category since the VCR. That said, I find a lot of people automatically reject anything that has a subscription fee attached to it.

I know I have friends that would absolutely flip for what Tivo can do, but they just don't see the value. I have another friend that travels around the western two thirds of the country towing a racecar doing SCCA Solo II competition. I though he would be a prime candidate for XM radio (another killer technology, IMHO). As soon as I said $10/month, I get the standard reply that he sees no point in paying for radio.

But I digress....

Methinks that if Tivo wants to really grow, they need to find a way to lower the upfront cost, like DTV and Dish are doing. Charging a grand and up for the Pioneer PVR's ain't gonna do it, even if there is no recurring fee. The price is just way too steep.

If you give the hardware away (or make it really cheap) people will try the service. And at that point, like crack, they are hooked.

But if the cost of entry is in the neighborhood of $250, plus another $299 for lifetime service, you just are not going to get the customers. Word of mouth just ain't getting it done. People need to experience what Tivo or Replay can do in their own homes. At that point, you have made the sale.

BGL

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks