What's new

TiVo 2.0! (1 Viewer)

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
My unit downloaded TiVo 2.0.1 yesterday, and it kicked in at 2:00am this morning. Wow! I've just gone through all my season passes using the new Season Pass Manager. There are now options to record first-run vs. all showings, to record a minute or more before and after the show (no more truncated credits, yea), and to prioritize one season pass over another should two overlap.
That's just one of the upgrades...see the TiVo site for the rest!
- Steve

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Geez, I'm envious. I've printed out the pdf file from the TiVo site, but so far the upgrade hasn't arrived here.
Did either of you find that, with ver. 2.0, you have less space to record programs?
M.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Did either of you find that, with ver. 2.0, you have less space to record programs?
Yes, I now only have 28 hours, 25 minutes in Best Quality and 103 hours 25 minutes in Basic Quality. That's a loss of about an hour in Best and 5 hours in Basic.
- Steve

Mike Lang

Stunt Coordinator
I've been using 2.0 for about 6 months and it's a huge improvement from 1.3. Don't forget to play around with the wishlists...they can be a lot of fun!
------------------

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I just got a Tivo a couple of weeks ago, and was mightily impressed with it. Then last Tuesday they sent me a whole new product!!!
The wishlist feature is incredible, found all kinds of stuff I didn't even know was on. I just plain don't watch live tv anymore except for the morning news.
The machine's ability to learn my preferences and record things for me on it's own is kinda eerie, though.
------------------
Steve S.
I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
I called them about a month ago. I told them I have owned a TiVo for almost 2 years and have 2 machines. I really want my 2.0. The guy said they are doing the upgrades by area. I imagine the big cities will get it first. Because I live in a small town I will be lucky to get it by the end of the year.
frown.gif

Frank
tivo_logo.gif

Rod Martin

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rod
Compared to the number of televisions or VCR's out there, there aren't that many TiVos. I would be very shocked if it took that long to upgrade.
By area doesn't make sense either. What happens if you buy a new TiVo (still with 1.3) and plug it in the day after upgrades roll through the area. Are you stuck with 1.3 until the entire country is upgraded?
They say they are doing 500-1000 units a day. To me that shouldn't take all that long.

Mike Lang

Stunt Coordinator
It's not done by area, it's by random serial number. Any unit with 1.3 (or lower) and active service will get the upgrade in due time.
------------------

Kevin Goodwin

Stunt Coordinator
I signed up via a link on the AVS forum (www.avsforum.com) Tivo board for 2.0.1, and received the upgrade a couple weeks ago. I was excited about getting it until I turned on the TV the next day, and my Tivo was stuck in an endless cycle of rebooting.
So, now I'm waiting for a replacement unit from Tivo. And guess what? I've got to download 2.0 again. Hopefully, it'll work this time.

MikeM

Screenwriter
For all of you without 2.0, at least you're not like me.
I bought my TiVo from Overstock.com which has 1.3. Loved it so much, I bought one for my dad for his birthday....
...over the weekend he called me and said, 'Hey, I got upgraded to 2.0!" Damn! I'm still at 1.3!
He had his TiVo for a grand total of 1 day and got the upgrade....Grrrrrr....
wink.gif

------------------
mike_sig.jpg

PeggyManson

Auditioning
I am very excited about the prospect of TiVo 2.0, but it hasn't arrived at my unit yet. I certainly wish this upgrade would allow the capability to watch one program live on the TiVo while it records another, but I suppose that is asking a bit much. I know you can do so with the DirecTiVo units and a satellite dish, but I wasn't quite ready to go with a dish, just yet. I probably won't until such time as my local cable provider does away with analog cable all together.
I'm glad to hear that the upgrade has been a positive experience (for most)!
Peggy

Steve Zatkoff

Stunt Coordinator
Peggy,
At this time, TIVO has not activated the software on the DTIVO units that allow the viewing of one channel, while recording another. If you want to watch one program while recording another, just splice your cable, so that one connection runs to the TV and the other to the TIVO. You can also watch programs previously recorded while TIVO is recording a new program.
I have had 2.0.1 since February an I love it. This version really enhances an already great product.
Steve

PeggyManson

Auditioning
I already have my cable split, but with an older television set (about 9 years old), and a DVD player, VCR, A/V receiver, N64 and now the TiVo to hook up to the set, it appeared that the only viable connection options was to split the cable between TiVo and the VCR, and run everything else through the A/V receiver. That allows me to hook up the A/V connection to the alternate source input on the TV and the TiVo to the antenna/cable input. So, while it is possible under the current scenario for me to watch a live program while TiVo is busy recording, it is not a simple process. First, set the TV to its auxiliar source, turn on A/V receiver making sure it is set for VCR, then turn on the VCR and select the channel. Sounds simple enough, but with all the different remotes involved, it does get to be a bit of a bother! I know, I know, I need one of those fancy programmable remotes to replace them all. It's on the wish list, believe me! Plus, I've gotten so accustomed to all the features available with TiVo while watching live programs, especially being able to channel surf through the guide without having to actually change channels, watching live TV through the VCR tuner is rather a let down
frown.gif

Although I love my TiVo and don't know how I lived without it before, I had held off purchasing one until I found the answer to the question of whether you could watch one program while recording another. Their FAQ questions on their web site indicated this was possible, but failed to mention the part about having to split the cable between the TiVo and the VCR in order to do so. I was quite disappointed when I found this out upon opening the box when it arrived and reading the various installation scenarios.
I am considering disconnecting the N64 as I don't play it much, and it is currently occupying the auxiliary input on the VCR, which left me with no way to connect the TiVo to the VCR for archiving purposes.
If anyone has any better suggestion, I'm open to them! I will hopefully be replacing my Sony Prologic receiver with an Onkyo in the next couple of months, but I'm not sure just how much "learning" it's learning remote will do for the other components in this mish-mash of a system.
Peggy

PaulG

Stunt Coordinator
I've had 2.0.1 for awhile, and one of my favorite features is to set Keep At Most=1 and Save Until I Delete on some Season Passes. TiVo will record one, then not record anymore until I delete it. This way I have some of those old shows I like on hand to be watched when I feel like it, and it frees up the timeslot for suggestions. It also allows me to have more than one season pass in the same timeslot. I have only been caught once with a "to be continued" show. I also like Recording History, which also has the future in it. It can explain why a show is missing, or help you catch a show that may not be recorded for some reason, and fix it. Wishlists are great too. These can be setup to auto-record, or to just give you a list of whats available. TiVo TiVo is pretty neat, I even started accessing Now Playing on the Sony this way. Season Pass Manager is also a new feature that at first I didn't think was all that important, but after using it, I discovered it adds great value to the package. There is more, but I am going to end my ramble here. Go TiVo

MikeM

Screenwriter
As luck would have it, I received version 2.01 last night! VERY NICE!
The Wish List feature is a HUGE bonus. (I've been trying to see this documentaty on the Hoover Dam on the Discovery Channel for a while now. Just pop in the word "Hoover Dam" as a keyword Wish List and Presto!)
The menus also seem much much snappier, and the only drawback is that v2.01 reduces my maximum recording time from basic quality 117 hours to 110 hours...I think I'll live.
wink.gif

------------------
mike_sig.jpg

Don D

Grip
If you don't have 2.01 on your standalone TiVo yet, you can sign up here to put yourself at the front of the list:
Link Removed
This is only for standalone TiVo boxes, not DirecTV receivers with built in TiVo.
-- Don

Jeff T

Auditioning
I got my upgrade over the weekend. The upgrade just made a good thing even better. I like the feature of changing the recording quality on the fly rather than delete the program and re-enter at a different quality.
Wish lists are great too.
Man, I am so impressed with TIVO, television is not the same. No complaints other than I now need more than 30 hrs recording time. This is a must have device.
Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks