What's new

Times you thought the greatest film critics Siskel, and Ebert were wildly wrong about a movie! (1 Viewer)

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Heaven's Gate and i still remember seeing their review of the movie on tv. Have seen it a few times including the first time on the old Bravo cable channel and own the Criterion Blu-ray. They were really tough on the movie and wonder if they saw the director's cut would they changed their review a little?

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I always scratched my head over Gene Siskel's admiration of Saturday Night Fever. For me it never really rose above its B movie ambitions. Now I realize that it became a cultural phenomenon due to its soundtrack. That might make the film more relevant, but not necessarily better. (I wasn't exactly the biggest fan of disco music at the time which no doubt colored my perception of the film.)

- Walter.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Anyone remember this?

(Roger Ebert's Thumbs Down on Full Metal Jacket :) )...

- Walter.

I do and would watch their review show every week including the early shows they did at our local WTTW PBS station in Chicago. It was when they did a show on laserdiscs that i switched quickly from VHS to laserdisc in the early 1990's.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Same here. Whether he liked a movie or not, I was able to get a good idea of how I would react to the movie. I disagreed with him a lot but always loved watching and reading his reviews.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Supergirl. When the movie came out I couldn't believe that S&E didn't like it. I was 9 at the time so of course S&E were right about that one, but the memory of that disappointment sticks with me.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Porky's -- in 1980 language and time. Actually Ebert may have been 25-30 years ahead of his time in the review, but what can you say "right age, right movie, right era." Maybe they were right in the end, but oh so not.

My wife even finds Coach Beulah, Lassie, the Coaches and Principal hysterical

Interesting to see 1st Takes on Das Boot, Deathtrap and El Salvador in the same grouping

Last edited:

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
There are quite a few reviews of films I love in Ebert's "I hated, hated, hated this movie" collection. Like "Dead Man" and "the Blue Iguana."

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
If I remember, he liked Mulholland Drive too. Maybe saying "most" isn't totally accurate but I think he didn't really like pretty much everything Lynch did until The Straight Story (and he hated some of them).
I really liked The Straight Story, and while I have never been the biggest fan of David Lynch, even I was scratching my head at why both Siskel and Ebert gave 'Wild At Heart' two thumbs down. That movie was great.

I'm not sure there was a love/hate relationship with them, and watching those vids shows that they seemed to despise each other...a lot of the time.
I think when Gene got sick that changed things though. Man, being a lifelong viewer of that show it was tough to watch at the end.

EDIT: Nevermind. Seems they were the best friends, and fierce enemies. Complex!

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
No, it's not really fair. That's why it's important that you trust the reviewer(s) you use. In the end, I'd rather a movie I know I won't like, based on a review from someone I trust, not take my hard earned dollars so I can use them elsewhere. If it means a movie fails, then it fails. Were there some quantifiable way I could exit a theater after seeing a "dog" and get a full refund I'd not use critics, professional or friends, at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks