What's new

Times I hate drivings, others I REALLY hate it... (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Only rarley do I enjoy it :).
Case in point, I was travelling along NJ's RT 287 today in Bergan County. Those that travel this road, know the former intersection near Nabisco, that used to house the dangerous traffic light.
Well, there's a buisness district(Small one) to the right side of the road. Sometimes the cars stop and wait for it to be clear as they pull out of the lot. Others, they merge on without looking, or others will ride the sidelane untill it's clear to go... This time, I passed up three cars that looked like they where going to do the middle option, albeit it at a slow pace, but none the less, still dangerous.
I was going about 45MPH, and decided to speed up 5MPH to pass them, and move over just an inch so as to make sure I didn't hit them. I knew slowing wasn't the right thing to do, since the car behind me was too close. Either I moved over farther than I intended, or the driver behind me thought I was going to pull up right in front of/on him, because he honked at me and decided to speed up, causing me to jitter a bit in unexpected shock as I pulled back over..
Sigh...I hate making decisions like this on the road, but luckilly nothing happened except one spooked driver to my left, who decided to speed up as I was inching over. When I drove back, looked over the other side, thankfully no crashed cars..... but maby they should put a stop sign near those parking lot exits...might make it a bit safer than the traffic light did.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
You mean the Nabisco that used to smell like cookies all the time I drove by. That's not Rt 287, I believe that'd Rt 208 (right by Maple Ave). I go by that usually on the way to Campmor which is on rt 17 in Paramus (I love that place, I could live there, lots of gear to fondle)

What I don't like about that type of merging is that you mingle people who are merging onto the highway with people who are exiting the highway onto the exit so you got fast moving exiting people criss crossing with slow moving entering people and it can get hairy. There are other places like that and one reason I hate Rt 17 up by Paramus, there are so much traffic and so many cars going in and out up there. Fortunately, I can take 208 (past Nabisco) and Maple to Ridgewood Ave right onto Rt17 and campmor is just a 1/4 mile north of there so I can avoid Rt17 as much as possible.

Jay "gear-fondler" H

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
I enjoy driving but I hate the traffic. Here's what happened to me last night on my way home from work:

Some lady in a car in front of me started to cut into my lane without looking then saw me, freaked out, oversteered to the left, oversteered to the right and hit the front driver's side of my car, sending me into a spin. I hit the right side of the road, rolled about 3 times and came to a rest upside down. Miraculously I was able to walk away from the accident with only minor scrapes and bruises.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Gads...Even stranger, I woldhave thought the car wouldhave been pounded like a flatcake, or at least more damaged than it looks in that picture, thankfully everything is Ok, car and person.
That almost happened to me today. If they guy to the left had freaked out as he saw me coming over, or had pulled up next to me as I was pulling over, the same thing probably would have happened to me today. All because it seemed like I was going to be hit on the right side by a merging car...
Damn quick judgments...
And to the first poster, yep, my bad. Route 208. 287 is the one I use to get to my fathers workplace in the other direction. Don't know why I still get those two mixed up after almost 15 years here :).
BTW, if I accidentally cut off a fellow HTForumer, my apologies :).

KyleS

Screenwriter
Ouch Tim I certainly hope that she stopped and had insurance.
Glad to see that you are allright. Neil I know where you are coming from. I love to drive when there are not a lot of cars on the road but unfortunately that doesnt happen very often. Anytime I get in heavy traffic I am always looking for some idiot to pull something out of his A$#. Heck I was driving in Portland Oregon the other day on a 4 lane freeway and some guy in the FAR LEFT lane decided that he meant to take the exit he was just coming up on. Well instead of going to the next exit and coming back he decides Hell I can just cut off 5-8 cars and make the exit. 2 of the cars did end up crashing and he drove off without stopping. :angry: Thats when you want a cop car to be right there.
KyleS

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
The other car wiped out also. The driver completely lost control and ended up off the side of the rode a little ways in front of where I was. Both cars were totalled. Fortunately she wasn't injured seriously either.

KyleS

Screenwriter
Well that is certainly good to hear Tim though I doubt her insurance will be too happy about the replacement bill of your Corvette. ;)
KyleS

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Yeah Tim, good to hear that both of you are OK... Looks like your windshield pillar held up OK. Now you can buy a Z06 or even a 50th anniversary one, 2003 is the 50th anniversary model year for the 'vette. :)
Jay

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Ouch tim, that looks really bad... especially to a beat of a car like the 'vette.. GOod thing you got out of there with just a few minor scrapes.
Some lady in a car in front of me started to cut into my lane without looking
I hate it when that happens.. one time i was driving on the right lane of a 2 lane road. This old guy comes out of a driveway on my left. Now normally you would turn into the left lane, then signal to change lanes to the right.. This idiot cuts straight in, and starts changing lanes. The car was within arms length of our car. My dad who was driving fortuneately was real smart about it, and veered off to almost the curb, while honking.. thank goodness we didnt touch. :rolleyes:idiots...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks