What's new

Time to upgrade receiver (1 Viewer)

air-assault1

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark
I'm looking for help as I no longer have any idea about what to look for in receivers any more.

I have just finished my basement and now have a semi-dedicated theater room that is 15x31 with a projector and 123" screen on order. Usage will be mostly for movies, some music and occasional tv.

Currently my setup is an Onkyo 7.1 HTiB but I will be replacing it with Def Tech for the speakers, BP6 for L, R, matching center, ProSub 1000, and 4 6.5" in-ceiling speakers.

Current recommendation for a new receiver is an Onkyo 626 but I was wondering what else is out there should I be considering that would be excel on the movie side? Budget wise for the receiver anything over $800 would be too much.

Any suggestions?

air-assault1

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark
I forgot to mention that there were four ceinling speakers so the Denon is out becuase it's only 5.1.

So what specs should I be focusing in on when comparing these receivers? How are these different/better than the Onkyo 626?

The brands I was being told by the speaker person there were good were the Onkyo, Denon and Yamaha.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
"Specs" are irrelevant.

What you care about are...

Does it have the features you need...without the fluff you don't need...

Want 2nd zone? Buy one with 2nd zone.
Want networking? Buy one with networking.
Need Bluetooth? Buy one with Bluetooth.
Need a V.Tuner? Buy one with one.
Need more than one component input? Buy one with more than one.
Want pre-outs? Buy one with pre-outs.
Need 12v triggers? Buy one with 12v triggers.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I meant the X2000.

Basically all I did was use your $800 cutoff and gave you all the options.(outside of the Sherwood)

Integra's opening AVR is $1300. Anthem is over your price range.

Many brands skip $800. Going from

air-assault1

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark
Almost like shopping between vehicle brands, very similar but with different options.

As for the options you mention, some I understand while others I have no idea what the benefit is.

Want 2nd zone? Not going to be needed.
Want networking? Can only guess that it would beneficial if wanted to run Pandora or another music site through it. Why not just hook up via tablet or some other networked device?
Need Bluetooth? Only if wanted to connect a device with that feature?
Need a V.Tuner? No idea what this is.
Need more than one component input? Is this the RCA plugs?
Want pre-outs? No idea what this is.
Need 12v triggers? No idea what this is.

As I said before, this stuff has passed me by so not sure what some of the features are while others I do but don't know why they are a benefit or used for.

My apologies if my lack of knowledge/experience is frustrating to you.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Not frustrating me.

V.Tuner is a networking feature to find internet radio stations. http://www.vtuner.com/
Component is the component. RCA is composite.
Composite is yellow. Component is red/green/blue.
Pre-outs. To use the AVR as a pre-pro.
12v triggers turn on/off exterior devices(those also have to have 12v).

So, if you only need 7.1...networking can be handled by something connected to it. You don't even need to spend $500.
http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR-1912-Channel-Streaming-Receiver/dp/B004U403XQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1383933790&sr=1-1&keywords=Denon+avr+1912
http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-NR515-7-2-Channel-Network-Receiver/dp/B0077V88VI/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1383933827&sr=1-1&keywords=onkyo+nr515

air-assault1

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark
OK, I can see how the V.Tuner could be nice.
12v now makes sense, explains how the TV turns on when the kids turn on the Wii.
Pre-outs. Not sure what you answer means.

So if I want to go with the something for the V.Tuner that means looking at:
Denon X2000 - $650
Elite VSX 70 - $700
Onkyo 626 - $450

The Yamaha 830 is $850 but they have 730 for $650. It looks like the 830 just has more watts. Am I missing anything else?

So of all these, sound wise what am I looking at? I truly can't go and listen to each one of them so that's where I'm needing help to figure out the differences.

Thanks!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The TV responding to the Wii has nothing to do with 12v. That is merely your TV set to "turn on" when it senses a live input.

12v is typically used for subwoofers, exterior amplification(which is why you would want pre-outs...so you can use external amplification) and projectors/powered screens.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/YAMRXA830BL/YAMAHA-RX-A830-7.2-Channel-Network-AV-Receiver/1.html

I would suggest you look there for other options as well. I started a post(around the same time as responding to this one) about my SR707's impending death(it has since died)...here are the ones I'm considering...
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVR4520CI/DENON-AVR-4520CI-Denon-s-Flagship-Home-Theater-Receiver-150wpc/1.html
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVRA100/DENON-AVR-A100-9.2-Channel-100th-Anniversary-3D-Ready-Receiver/1.html
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVR4311CI/DENON-AVR-4311CI-9.2-Channel-Network-Home-Theater-Receiver/1.html
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKTXNR3007/Onkyo-TX-NR3007-THX-Ultra2-Plus-140w-x-9.2-Network-Receiver/1.html (I don't need 3D. And if you don't either...)
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/MARSR7008/MARANTZ-SR7008-9.2-Network-Home-Theater-Receiver-with-AirPlay/1.html

My wants are different than your wants.

I won't buy an AVR without pre-outs.
I need Audyssey DSX cause I run width.
Thinking of a 9 channel AVR this time for this room cause it would simplify the Zone 2 porch over how it was ran with the 707.

air-assault1

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark
That's quite a selection. Will probably be purchasing from them.

After looking at these I have come up with another question that I have looked for in other threads and sites. The difference between Audyssey DSX and EQXT32 is the 32 is used for calibration and placement of speakers and the DSX is used for surround sound. Is that correct?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
EQ(whatever form) is always room correction.DSX is a sound mode addition. It can be applied to any other sound mode(DTS/DD/DPL/lossless/stereo)I use height in one theater, width in another. I find(YMMV) if you run height, IIz works best on anything not DTS. And for those AVR out there with it, DTS neo X is killer.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
By the way, some AVR have what is known as Intelligent Amp Design.Those AVR have more speaker terminals than channels.Why?So you could connect both height and wide and switch back and forth on the fly.

air-assault1

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark
You have me lost on the height and wide comment. From what I can find that's just another pair of speakers up front pushed to the ends and up towards the ceiling? Limited to my current setup up which is pre-wired for L,R,C up front on the wall and then pre-wired in the ceiling for the four speakers. Don't want to be tearing into the walls to run more wires and since the wall are spray foamed it's impossible to try and fish reel any runs.

Was looking at the Onkyo TX-NR818, the site you linked to is currently sold out but Crutchfield has it for $50 more for brand new. It doesn't support Air Play unless you spend upwards of $100 for Onkyo's add-on. Not a must have though.

Thanks for every one of your replies. It is helping me narrow things in.

mrasmussen

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael Rasmussen
with Denon for example, do you get better sound with the higher end models, for example the 500ish vs the 1500ish or is it just more power/features?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks