What's new

Time to Upgrade DVD (1 Viewer)

Barry_R

Stunt Coordinator
I'm looking at upgrading my DVD Player. I have an older Toshiba SD-5109. It's a good unit and one of the only progressive scans available when I bought it, but I'm guessing that there are better ones out there now. I have not paid much attention to new models, technology, etc. but am doing research into makes, models. I'm interested in hearing some current opinions from owners, or directions to some good reviews.

Only requirement is that it be progressive scan with digital optical outputs. Will be used with Toshiba 55HX70 HD set and HT system. Thanks in advance.

Barry.

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
I'd recommend a top-rated Faroudja-based DVD player like the Denon DVD-1600.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm, I am fond of some of the older Tosh Progressive scan DVD players. Are you really unhappy with it, or are you just wanting to do a technology upgrade?

3:2 pulldown would certainly be a nice technolgy upgrade, that is for sure. I think you should add that to your requirements list of possible players for purchase.

I will probably addressing similar choices when I actually recieve my new HDTV.....

Barry_R

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not unhappy with the older Toshiba, and maybe I'm wrong in thinking that some of the newer units with newer technology would be an improvement. But my wife asked me what I wanted for Christmas / Birthday, and that's the only piece of my home theater I haven't upgraded recently.

I've seen some units that do automatic scaling to 720p or 1080i, a couple discussed on this forum and also a I saw a Samsung somewhere. Does this improve the pic quality noticably on HD sets?

Also, I took a look at the Denon. It seemed a bit pricey for what it offers, and a I read a couple of mixed reviews. So I'm not sure about that one. Any brands I should stay away from?

Thanks again. Barry.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I'm sure I will be in the market soon as well.
So your findings will be of great interest to me as well.

I wonder if new products will offer such things as scaling for other products such as the Xbox, ect... But still provide the best of DVD player capability.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks