What's new

Time for a new TV. Recommendations please. (1 Viewer)

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
I'm looking to replace a 10 year old Toshiba RPTV 57HX81. I'm looking to get a 60 inch LED. But I've been out of the loop and haven't kept up with the new TV's. Took a spin through Best Buy the other day and left a bit confused. Hoping you guys could help out. I'm thinking of either a Sony or Samsung but I'm open to other brands. Also what should I be looking for in terms of refresh rate? I saw 120hz, 240hz, 480hz? Is there anything else I should be looking for? I will also be looking to buy a Blu-Ray player so any help there would be appreciated also.

Thanks in advance,

Vlad

GeorgeAB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
G. Alan Brown
If image fidelity is your primary priority in selecting a new TV, get a top line plasma. Imaging professionals and display calibrators, whose business it is to demand correct pictures, prefer plasmas. The contemporary popularity of LCD TVs in the mass market is due primarily to the fact that plasmas are not available any smaller than 42" diagonal. Another big factor is a combination of marketing hyperbole and mass consumer ignorance about what constitutes a correct video image.

Best regards and beautiful pictures,

G. Alan Brown, President

CinemaQuest, Inc.

A Lion AV Consultants Affiliate

"Advancing the art and science of electronic imaging"

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
What are the "top line plasma" TVs? Everyone raved about Pioneer, but they're gone. What's left?

GeorgeAB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
G. Alan Brown
The top line models are the most expensive ones, including the THX Certified models.

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
Thanks for the replies. Image fidelity is important but not my only criteria. My viewing room is bright so I'm concerned about glare. Also will be using for gaming.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks