What's new

Time After Time-Is this actually for sale?? (1 Viewer)

Don Peskin

Stunt Coordinator
I pre-ordered mine from dvdempire for 13.99 but it's not due till 8/30 as I have a combined order. No sales tax, free shipping, no gas expenses, and I usually get my orders within 2-5 days after they're mailed.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I also got a copy at Borders using the 10% discount. This has been the place I have found older movies that are new releases to DVD. All my recent purchases have been competitively priced with other retailers. I actually saw four copies of the movie Z at the local Borders. I'm not even sure Best Buy has this on their web-site.

Jenna

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeanette Howard
Yep, I had a little trouble tracking this one down. I didn't see a single copy last week on it's 8/6 release date. After searching EVERY single shelf at BestBuy today, I managed to find a single copy "misplaced" in the
Special Interest section. It was $17.99, but I used their $3.00 off coupon, so final cost was $14.99.
I then went to Circuit City to browse their DVD selection, and didn't see a single copy of Time After Time there at all! Maybe they underestimated the interest in this "older" title when they placed their order???
Ya know, I've seen a trend at BestBuy lately with the new releases of "older" titles ["Better Off Dead" for example]. They didn't get any of these DVDs in on their release date, and only received a single copy a week later. In fact, it seems that their DVD section has actually been downgraded with fewer and fewer selections.
:frowning:

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
As I have mentioned before, the blue shirts have said BB is moving toward a Top 20 or 30 stocking strategy. Titles like this will be available from them ONLY online.

Ed Faver

Second Unit
The happy ending to my tale is that I sat down with my son this evening to veiw Time After Time and he was very impressed. I was very happy to have this favorite film in my library. Tomorrow, I intend to play the commentary track.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
The Suncoast near me only received two copies! When I was told the day before the release that they only had two copies of this title available my reaction was one of complete astonishment! Perhaps one of the best time travel movies of all time (OK, Back to the Future is better, but that's it IMO) on DVD in all its 2.35:1 anamorphic Widescreen glory (and with a Nicholas Meyer/Malcolm McDowell commentary track) ... and they only get in two copies???

Fortunately, I was told the evening before the release that they were going to be opening about two hours earlier than usual the next day due to all the Lord of the Rings pre-orders.

So ... I got there right at opening and picked up my Lord of the Rings:FOTR (with 6,000 bonus REPLAY points), Clash of the Titans, Wrath of Khan DC (also directed by Meyer), ... and snagged one of the two Time after Time discs before they could even put it out!

No doubt about it though: This disc deserved a much better promotion than it received. I know for a fact that that particular Suncoast could have sold at least 15 copies of that title that day alone if they had just had the inventory.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Best Buy's marketing strategy baffles me. They wipe out all of their VHS shelving for DVD (a good thing), but then only are going to stock top 30 titles? What's the point of that? The local BB has an entire rack of copies of The Other, none of which seem to be moving. But yet they won't carry catalog titles like Time after Time or 1776.... :thumbsdown:
Well, it'll save me money in the long run since I won't be tempted by all those discs.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I've checked out my local BB, CC and Borders a few of times since 8/6. Not one of these stores had a single copy of "Time After Time" in stock during a single one of my three visits.

It's funny how the pendulum swings. When DVD was in its infancy, online retailers were the way to go because of their great selection and awesome coupon deals. Then DVD became a mainstream product, the online deals pretty much evaporated, and brick and mortars like Best Buy and CC started carrying a good selection of titles. Pricing at B&Ms swung into line with net retailers, and the local store became a good place to pretty much guarantee yourself a copy of just about any DVD on its street date. Now, if this new (and poorly conceived IMO) Best Buy "policy" actually comes to pass, the edge will once again go back to the web retailers.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
I checked BB (Milpitas, CA) on Aug. 6th during lunch and their computer indicated that their total inventory of ... 2 DVD copies ... sold! :angry:
So, I went back to work, & ordered from Digital Eyes ...
1) Time After Time - $14.48
... excellent commentary
2) Hot Shots (also MIA @ BB!) - $14.48
... hilarious movie - 1st time I saw it!
... which qualified for their FREE S/H, and surprisingly, I received both DVD's 3-days later - Aug. 9 / Friday! :)
Phil

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks