What's new

THX Select -- best speaker system? (1 Viewer)

John_Bla

Auditioning
Hi there.

I've had the same speaker system for about 7 years, and while they've served splendidly over all this time, I'm ready for an upgrade.

I've pretty much determined that I want to purchase a THX Select System -- I don't really need the ULTRA, but I would really love to have the THX specs.

I've pretty much narrowed my choices down to two systems:

Atlantic Technology System 270 THX Select

or

M&K 750 MK II THX Select Complete System

I've read killer reviews for both, so any opinions or suggestions would be great.

I'd be using the systems for a lot of music listening as well, so that is certainly a factor.

The biggest factor, however, lies in surround speakers [at least I think so]...

...I haven't heard too much about the 'best' way to set up a 7.1 surround system. While I wouldn't have an EX/ES receiver for a while, I certainly want to have this system 'ready'....

What I mean is are Bi-Polar speakers used in the 270 THX system better for a 7.1 setup than using the regular M&K speakers?

...and what if I was to add in a rear center speaker eventually...how about then?

Lol, I realize there is a lot of concern and detail in this post, but this is quite a big purchase for me, so I want to make certain that I make the right choice on systems.

Again, any comments on my predicament & THX Select systems [even other than the two I've mentioned] is certainly welcome -- and indeed hoped for.

Have a nice day everyone, and I hope to hear from you!

John

jason celaya

Stunt Coordinator
I have had the same quandry recently and I've decided to go with the M&K due to there accuracy. If you are concern aboutthe surronds being dipole or not, M&K offers the 750 package with tripoles for a couple of bucks more. They seem to work pretty well in both diffusing sound and givig the directionalty of monopoles. I think they are called 55s or something.

I currently have the M&K 750 and love them! I also would suggest getting the Tripole's (Surround 55's) instead of the direct radiating Surround 550's. I currently use the 550's. I've been trying to convince my fiance' that the 55's would be a great wedding present :) Mmmm... 6.1 setup. Of course that would also mean she would have to get me a 2-channel Amp as well.
My receiver is the Integra 7.1. I love this receiver as well. I haven't had any problems driving the 4 Ohm loads or getting to reference levels. The only problem I have with this receiver is the fact that 4-6 months after I bought it they released the 7.2 receiver with DTS-ES and DPL-2... Dooh! :angry:
So if you go with Onkyo/Integra check out the 7.2!
I really enjoy the setup. I also opted out of the 1250 sub and went with a SVS 20-39PC. Oh Yeah! I recommend doing this a well.

John_Bla

Auditioning
Hmm.

Well a few more questions for the two of you [and anyone else!], if you don't mind:

If I was only in a position to buy the M&K's with the 550's, which then would you prefer/recommend: the M&K system, or the Atlantic Tech 270?

And, just as a reminder, I'm looking for the system that may handle music better as well...

...and of course my previous question about future upgrading to a es/ex setup is still there [as far as if the 550's or the 270 di-poles would be better].

Thanks again.

John

John Sully

Stunt Coordinator
Have you listened to them?

The best speakers are the ones you like best, and THX certified speakers are controversial at best.

John_Bla

Auditioning
I looked up 'local' THX retailers here [Fresno, CA]...but unfortunately there's isn't one for about 3 1/2 hours away...
So no, I haven't heard either of the systems yet...
though I certainly wish I could!
I may be down south further in a few months...but I'm not sure if I can hold out not buying a system until then. :)
We'll see!
John

Wyatt_Y

Stunt Coordinator
Not quite a month ago I bought 3 M&K 750's for front L/C/R. I can't imagine a cleaner sounding speaker for my 14x14x8 size room. Music was a big concern also, I took 4 CDs and drove 175 miles to listen to them.

Movies are great just as I expected, however, I find myself listening to music more than I ever did in the past. Continues to amaze me with the roomful of music coming from those two speakers (stereo mode) - I have to keep reminding myself that the center and surrounds are not operating!

I moved my prior main speakers (Bose 701's) to the rear for full-size surrounds so I can't help with that question. Also, I use an Infinity HPS-1000 for a sub.

Wyatt

DavidRM

Auditioning
Hi John,

THX standards call for using dipolar speakers. One thing I would definitely keep in mind is what is best for the type of room you are trying to design it for. THX is not always the best way to go. THX is just a recommended system. There are many speakers and receivers that exceed specifications for THX, but do not want to pay for the right to be called "THX". I love THX for the right room, but by no means is it always the best. For example, THX gets good discrete dipolar separation, but it is designed to hit a "sweet spot" in a room. If you plan on having more than a few people watching a movie in your room it will be difficult for them to get the same experience if they are sitting slightly off to the sides. A good way to go for multiple people spread out in a room is to get a matrixed back and good diffusing speakers for the sides.

I would recommend holding off on the 7.1 set up. There is no material being written for it and there is no set consensus standard for placement of the additional speaker. I have heard everything from mounting it overhead to placing it above the center front.

One last thing. I have some good specs for THX 2 (better than Ultra) if you want to email me. Hope this helped you.

Tony Genovese

Supporting Actor
"I looked up 'local' THX retailers here [Fresno, CA]...but unfortunately there's isn't one for about 3 1/2 hours away...

So no, I haven't heard either of the systems yet...

though I certainly wish I could!

I may be down south further in a few months...but I'm not sure if I can hold out not buying a system until then.

We'll see! "

No need to go down south. The following dealer is listed on the M&K web site:

FutureHome Systems & Design

230 W. Fallbrook

Fresno CA 93711

559-435-9400

John_Bla

Auditioning
Wonderful! Thank you so much -- I'll be giving them a visit!
John
...now I just need to find a place to listen to the Atlantic Tech set... ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks