What's new

THX Requirements....? (1 Viewer)

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek
I am under the inpression that THX standards require extremely strict adherance to room type, accoustical qualities, equipment certification, etc. Does this mean that while I can get an amp with THX select, but that does me no good unless I have THX-certified speakers? That my room accoustics have been modified in order to meet THX standards? I don't have a lot of room to tweak in my HT, and when I upgrade to uncompressed hi-def sound, I would like to know whether I should bother (with THX I mean)....?

Edit: This is what I get for not looking at the forum I'm in when posting.... mods, please feel free to move this to where it belongs (speakers or amps). Thanx!

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Companies that sell THX labeled equipment have to buy their certification, it costs the company big bucks to wear the label. You can be basically sure any THX labled stuff meets the requirements, but that does not mean that non-THX stuff isn't up to snuff. Some companies see the THX label as a silly expense (I agree) and simply do not fork over the cash to have their products certified. There are many, many products that do not carry the THX badge that meet or far surpass the THX specs. I would not worry too much about the THX label if I were you, buy quality stuff from quality manufacturers and enjoy.

P.S., I would especially steer clear of THX subs. I've never heard one that would not be trounced by a quality sub that costs 1/2 as much from Hsu or SVS.

Tony Loewen

Stunt Coordinator
Not sure if this is right or not, but as it was explained to me, to get the THX certification, certain requirements need to be met. When it does get certified, though, THX lisenses different software/firmware to be added to the receiver that does a few different things. One, which I like, is that it compensates for that fact that most digital soundtracks are mastered to be used with acoustically transparent screens, and are therefore a little more bright than if it was to be played through speakers that are not behind the screen. Also, it will spit out a dolby digital soundtrack as THX SurroundEx, which I prefer to any of the other surround formats. This is completely subjective though. I also like the THX Music format better than straight Dolby.

JackS

Supporting Actor
THX's forte lies in their software i.e., DVD's. This is not to say that THX DVD's are better than every disk, but they are consistantly better than most.
Next time you buy a favorite film, check first to see if it's availabe with THX. If it is , the couple of extra dollars spent should be well worth it.
As for hardware, well thats your choice if you actually do hear an improvement these purchases may be considered money well spent also. I don't but many people do.
One life to live so if it cost a few extra bucks to get what you want, get it and live without regret.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I have a THX Select receiver (though I didn't buy it for that purpose). To me, the pluses have been ease of setup (as the test tones automatically are calibrated for 75dB on the SPL), and, for two movies now (LOTR-Return of the King-EE and I, Robot), the soundtracks sounded noticeably less harsh with THX engaged--so I leave it on for all movies (as I haven't noticed a sonic "degradation" on others). I haven't tried it with concert DVDs yet, though.

It's nice, but I wouldn't make it a criterion of purchase.

tommy_E

Agent
i have the yammie 5790 THX certified...yawn

all a hoax...the THX website makes it sound like just because THX is on the receiver....dvd plyer...or whatever its "amazing"
its not..:angry: i wish it really had a dramatic effect like the impression that it gives off :angry:

ciao

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks