What's new

Thughts on Toshiba SD6200 DVD? (1 Viewer)

Jake T

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all.
I've had this DVD player for a few months now. It's the first one I've owned so I have nothing really to compare it to. The picture is good except for some artifacts
frown.gif
-- usually noticed on slow panning scenes on still objects----
Can anyone tell me what they think of this model?
Also, I'm looking for a new player for my family room. Any suggestions up to $1000.
Thanks in advance,
Jake T

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Panasonic DVD-RP91 seems to be the one to beat.
Perhaps with regular anamorphic and progressive scan modes, the Sage/Faroudja chipset players coming out will be better than Panny, but they may not have the very, very good non-anamorphic to pseudo-anamorphic scaling in progressive mode that the Panny has.
Also, will these new S/F chipset players have the chroma bug? The Panny doesn't have it.
Dan
------------------
Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
I don't own a Tosh 6200 but I do own a Tosh 2150 which I've been happy with. Mine also has some artifacts, I think that is just normal for the Toshiba's. It also depends on what connection you use to your moniter. Composite usually shows more artifacts. I use composite so that is part of my problem.
-Keith-

Gruson

Second Unit
I own the 6200 and love it. I have never had one problem with any DVD.
Anamorphic DVDs look incredible on my 65907.

Eugene Hsieh

Supporting Actor
My understanding is that the 6200 does not do proper 3:2 pulldown. Correct me if I'm wrong. If true, it's not really even in the running for a spot amongst top end players. Nonetheless it does seem like a pretty good player, and if you can get a good price I trust you'll be happy with it.
quote: Perhaps with regular anamorphic and progressive scan modes, the Sage/Faroudja chipset players coming out will be better than Panny, but they may not have the very, very good non-anamorphic to pseudo-anamorphic scaling in progressive mode that the Panny has.[/quote]The scaling on the Panasonic is good, but at least for me the image is significantly poorer than true anamorphic. People keep saying that it rivals anamorphic, but I just don't see it (and it seems about right that it doesn't really rival anamorphic). Plus I wish it had more zoom modes. One cannot "custom" zoom like you can with the Malata (which I don't yet recommend because I have not yet tried it).
------------------
Eugene Hsieh, VisorCentral FAQ Editor
1000 km on a tank of gas??? Check out the Prius and drive the future now!
[Edited last by Eugene Hsieh on August 03, 2001 at 02:44 PM]

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor
The 6200 most certainly does 3:2 pulldown.
Jake, are you certain that the 6200 you saw was in progressive mode?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I just replaced my Toshiba 6200 with a Panasonic RP-91, and I am much happier with the Panasonic. The Toshiba played most discs fine, but exhibited glitches on Rocky: SE (picture breakup and player freeze consistently at the same point on the disc) and the seemless branching version of T2 (audio pops and dropouts at the branching points). The player would also fail to recognize discs on occasion -- requiring the drawer to be opened/closed again. After owning two glitch-free Sony players, I found these errors annoying.
The Panasonic's zoom/scaling feature also has brought new life to my non-anamorphic widescreen discs (I own about 85 such titles). The only features in Toshiba's favor were its ability to display time remaining on the disc (I really miss this on the Panny, since my previous Sony players also had this feature) and the dual disc drawers (which I rarely used, anyway).
------------------
My DVD Collection
AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 7

Eugene Hsieh

Supporting Actor
quote: The 6200 most certainly does 3:2 pulldown.[/quote]Does it do it well? I dunno, since I've only ever seen this player in interlaced mode.
Link Removed is the Link Removed review.
------------------
Eugene Hsieh, VisorCentral FAQ Editor
1000 km on a tank of gas??? Check out the Prius and drive the future now!
[Edited last by Eugene Hsieh on August 03, 2001 at 04:05 PM]

Neil Weinstock

Stunt Coordinator
On properly flagged DVD's, it does fine. It does comb on improperly flagged material.
From my perspective, the 6200 has two issues: lousy 4:3 downconversion algorithm (only an issue if you have a 4:3 TV without anamorphic squeeze capability), and the cockamamie dual-disc system. Does it ever do what you'd expect it to? Not in my experience. Of course, it's easy enough to ignore it, so it's also not a big deal.
Overall picture quality and general performance are excellent, though if I were buying right now I'd go for one of the newer players (e.g., the RP-91.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks