What's new

Thoughts on DVDSpot.com ? (1 Viewer)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I spent the last few days monkeying around and transferring my collection over to this new listing site. I've always used DVDaf, but this one has a lot of fun little bells and whistles. I know that we all have our favorite DVD tracking sites, but it's always cool to play with a new one.

(Btw, I'm not affiliated with this website in any way. Just sharing it cuz I like it!)

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
This is, by far, my favorite online DVD collection site. While I still also update Profiler, I've abandoned all others in favor of DVDSpot. It's continuously getting better, and with the new stats page is leaps and bounds better than it was just last week. Croy, the guy who runs it, is very responsive and takes care of bugs seemingly as quick as people report them. He's working on making it even more community-friendly (being able to see who has similar interests and checking others' collections, reviews, etc. more easily), so while it's great as is, it's continuously getting better. The database is supported/maintained by the members, so if there's something missing from your collection it's easy to have it added. The submission process is also extremely user friendly. I can't sing the site's praises highly enough.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I switched over to this site a couple weeks ago and love it.

I had to add 25 titles (all R2) and it took a matter of minutes before they were in the database. Usually, I'd submit one and by the time I submitted the second one, the first would be in the datebase already.

The only issue I saw was that some people were a bit lazy and didn't enter all the information or some didn't include the right information. For example, a DVD with 3 movies only has it listed as 1 movie so your total movies is a bit lower than it should be. When I get the time I'm going to try to go back and fix some of these.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I wish they had a section for "to be sold" or "up for sale". I started using "Loaned out" for DVDs that I have decided I don't really want anymore.

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
I also love this site. I read on their forum that they are thinking of putting a section for "For Sale" DVDs.

Someone also suggested creating a new filter for your unwanted DVDs and when people search your collection, they can choose your "For Sale" (or whatever you call it) filter.

But I agree that it's easier (or more visible) to click on a separate tab that says something like "DVDs For Sale" than to do a filter search.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Any suggestions on an easy way to export from DVD Profiler? I tried a batch and it's kind of a pain trying to match up inconsistent titles. It would be ideal if one could export the UPCs from Profiler, but it looks like DVDSpot uses the full string and Profiler doesn't export that info anyway.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Is there anyway you can't just copy and paste your titles to a notebook and go from there? That's what I had to do.

I also wish they'd change "watched" to "unwatched". I've got so many unwatched discs that it would be nice to have a seperate place for them so I could push myself into watching them quicker.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I can export titles in a csv document, but not all the titles match up and sometimes there are multiple titles to choose from. The UPC is the most accurate piece of info, but it looks like I'm out of luck. What will take more time - matching up titles or creating a fresh document with a list of UPCs (fortunately I have a CueCat scanner that may make this easier)? I get kind of anal about little things so I know it would bother me if I pick the title with the wrong UPC.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Well, I plowed through and got my collection put in. I don't think I would have bothered if the features weren't so great. I'm still not sure if I'll give up DVD Profiler for my personal record keeping, but DVDSpot is a nicer way to share my collection with friends. I also gave up on trying to get an exact match on the UPCs. I did a small batch of actual scans and a few weren't found, so I just decided to let it go.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
I have three submissions I need to do; but cant find where to submit them.

Other than that its great.

Edit: Nevermind, found it.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
It's kind of buried, perhaps to prevent misuse, but you still wind up with crap contributions in the system. I submitted seven last night and they were all approved today. Nice turnaround.

To contribute:

- Go to "My Front Page"
- Click on "Manage Membership"
- Two headings down is "Contribution Manager"
- The button to "Add DVD" is on the top, far right, on the same line as the heading "Contribution Ticket Manager." This takes you to the form to make your contribution.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks