What's new

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Thor: Ragnarok turns the Thor sub-franchise on its head, delivering an often hilarious turn on the super hero genre after the two previous entries took the lead character sometimes a bit too seriously and very by the numbers.

Disc Information

Studio:
Distributed By:
Video Resolution:

Aspect Ratio:
Audio:

Subtitles:
Rating:

Run Time:
Package Includes:

Case Type:

Disc Type:
Region:

Release Date:
MSRP:

The Production:

Video:
3D Rating:

Audio:

Special Features:

Overall:

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
Got the 3D version and I am quite happy with it. No jumping out of the screen’s black bars like GotG, but my eyeballs were suitably entertained.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
I ordered from Amazon.UK for the 3-D version.

I loved the commentary track with Taika Waititi's two year-old daughter. "Uh-oh...!" "Yeah, lots of uh-oh in this movie."

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I had a great deal of fun watching Thor: Ragnarok this afternoon. Gorgeously detailed in UHD. Lots of laughs throughout. The Doctor Strange sequence near the beginning was so wittily done with its seamless special effects and the droll Benedict Cumberbatch.

I had to crank up the sound. Both the Atmos and DD+ mix were encoded rather softly, I thought.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Is it me, or is it overkill to have a Dolby Atmos 7.1.4 (with TrueHD 7.1 core), Dolby Digital Plus 7.1, and Dolby Digital 2.0 stereo tracks, all in English, on the 4K UHD version?

I think it it's overkill. I purchased a BD recently (can't remember which title) but the studio included English Dolby Atmos, DTS-HDMA 7.1, and Dolby Digital 5.1. Just a waste of disc space, as the Dolby Atmos track should play just fine for anyone who is Atmos equipped, for anyone who can't play Atmos but can play lossless 7.1 and/or 5.1, and anyone who's stuck with lossy 5.1.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I like when they include a Dolby 2.0 track optimized for late night viewing, with the sound effects and music placed lower in the mix and the dialog placed higher in the mix, so you can watch it at a lower overall volume when you're trying not wake anybody up.

I also like when they include an English Descriptive Audio track so that people with visual impairments can enjoy the movie.

But other than those two scenerios, I don't see any point in including multiple English audio tracks on the same disc.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I think it it's overkill. I purchased a BD recently (can't remember which title) but the studio included English Dolby Atmos, DTS-HDMA 7.1, and Dolby Digital 5.1. Just a waste of disc space, as the Dolby Atmos track should play just fine for anyone who is Atmos equipped, for anyone who can't play Atmos but can play lossless 7.1 and/or 5.1, and anyone who's stuck with lossy 5.1.
Warner is almost as bad. They have included both Dolby Atmos and DTS-HD MA 5.1 tracks on their 4K and Blu-ray releases, often defaulting to the DTS-HD track.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
I had a great deal of fun watching Thor: Ragnarok this afternoon. Gorgeously detailed in UHD. Lots of laughs throughout. The Doctor Strange sequence near the beginning was so wittily done with its seamless special effects and the droll Benedict Cumberbatch.

I had to crank up the sound. Both the Atmos and DD+ mix were encoded rather softly, I thought.

...and here I thought it was my new 7.1.2 setup.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

You’re not the only one. I had to turn it up higher than my normal level and it still seemed somewhat weak. And as mentioned the menus are louder which is quite annoying.

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
I used the regular True HD mix in my setup and my subs rattled stuff like normal, and it sounded good. Wonder if they messed up the Atmos side only? Volume wise it was about the same level I use for every flick, but I am only running a 2.2 system.

Anyways, I loved the movie.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Did the special features have anything about Zoe Bell stunt doubling for Cate Blanchett?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Thanks, I ordered the import and hope it works for my ps4. I looked all over the internet and it went back and forth as to whether it would play. This will be a 25.00 experiment.

It's an all-region disc, so it should play in any machine worldwide.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
The low audio thing reminds me of the low sound on the Phanton of the Opera.
That one was low by about 10 dB

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Not sure if it applies here, but on certain other releases that had a lower overall volume, I remember reading or being told that this was due to them using the original theatrical version of the mix, rather than a remix optimized for home video. So the volume seems lower because the track is set to take advantage of the dynamic range in theaters, where the lows are low and the highs are very high, and it can spike between them. Lossless audio formats used on BD and UHD can reproduce those swings but some releases opt to remix for a more friendly home environment. (Anyone remember Andy Su from these parts? This was his #1 complaint about movies on disc.) I remember that a similar softness on the Star Wars: The Force Awakens track (also from Disney) was attributed to it being the theatrical mix rather than home video remix.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks