This doesn't happen often: Spending more on a VCR than a DVD player.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KeithH, Oct 15, 2001.

1. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I was in a high-end audio store today and witnessed someone buy a Marantz interlaced DVD player for $350 and a Marantz S-VHS for $500. Does anyone really need a Marantz S-VHS? Amazing. If you own a Marantz VCR, sorry. Just expressing an opinion. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

I paid more for my JVC 9600 S-VHS vcr than for any of the 6 dvd players I have owned.
    If one wants a vcr that will produce picture quality acceptable on a halfway decent HT system, it's not gonna be cheap.
    I don't know about the Marantz, but my 9600 will make recordings off DirecTV that are virtually indistinguishable from the original broadcast. This is largely due to it's Time Based Correction circuitry and some other digital picture enhancements that just aren't available on $99 vcrs. The current 7800 model will do the same, and can be had for $250 or so, but quite good progressive scan dvd players can be had for less.
    ------------------
    Steve S.
    I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

3. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Ditto Steve; I have the 7600 and when you get a system that you can appreciate, you would want the best out of all your equipment, and that includes a VCR. I had a Proscan but when I heard about the JVCs with DNR I said it should make a difference, but I didn't know it was going to make a big difference. I record from Dish Network and you can't tell in most cases if it's broadcast or tape.
    ------------------
    ONCE, I CONSIDERED SPARING YOUR RETCHED LITTLE PLANET CYBERTRON, NOW.., YOU SHALL WITNESS IT'S
    DISMEMBERMENT...

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Yeah, I thought of the better JVC VCRs when I posted my initial message, but I was also thinking of so many people here that buy the better progressive-scan DVD players (Sony DVP-S9000ES, Toshiba SD-9200, Panasonic DVD-RP91, etc.). Most of my friends that are not home theater junkies have more expensive DVD players than VCRs.
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime