What's new

Thinking of Wharfedale (1 Viewer)

Chris Shelly

Second Unit
I was thinking about ordering the Wharfedale Zaldek speaker line that Best Buy is currently selling. Problem is the way these speakers are marketed and very little information on them I just can't justify it at this time. They are being marketed as a loud rock and roll PA style speaker. The Zaldek line looks pretty cool and is horn loaded. They might be pretty good and very affordable. But again very little information about the Zaldek line.

I have raised my budget a little and now looking at the Diamond 8 series speakers. I can get them from an online retailer with free shipping.

Diamond 8.4
Diamond Center
Diamond DFS Bipolar Surrounds
Powercube 12

Only thing I have not decided yet is the surrounds. I preferred bipolar surrounds in the past but they sort of disappeared when 5.1 digital formats came out. They are now making another comeback and some critics say even with 5.1 bipolar is better. With my JBL NSP1 speakers I have now I find the surrounds a little to direct even though it is calibrated at the proper level.

Chris Shelly

Second Unit
Yeah,

That is a feeling I am getting about the Zaldek line.

However the Diamond series is rated much higher among audiophiles and they are not that much more. Well maybe almost doubled but speakers are one thing you don't want to skimp on.

I think the speaker companies are being forced to make cheaper lines that unfortunately don't sound as good. I picked up on another forum that Klipsch is dropping Tweeter and Magnolia Hi-Fi and signing on with Best Buy. They are going to develop a cheaper line for the masses.

This day and age with $100 DVD players and $200 receivers its only natural that people want cheap speakers as well. Unfortunately speakers are hard to make cheap and also sound great.

Chad A

Stunt Coordinator
Chris,
I would forget about the Zaldek line and go for the Diamonds like you're hinting at. The Diamonds have won much praise and many awards so for the price they are a steal.
I currently have a set of,

8.3 towers
Diamond 8 center
Diamond Dipole surrounds

shipping my way. I went through alot of info from all over and determind they were the best deal going with the Dahlquist a close second. The clincher was I found a store that is giving well over 25% off MSRP! It made my day when they returned my price request. So give them a call or e-mail for an actual price quote. Best of luck.

www.ayselectronics.com

I've got the Diamonds in my 6.1 system. They sound great for music and even better for HT especially for the price. I did not go for their sub thought it was a little weak. I don't think you will be disappointed with the diamonds.

Mike B

My Home Theater

sheldon M.

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Diamond 8 setup also-in my bedroom. Downstairs I have an all JMLab setup that cost way more and let me tell you something-for the money the Diamonds are a steal! I have the 8.3's for mains, the Diamond Center, and 8.1's for the rears. I can't say enough about how smooth and tight the sound is from these speakers. I originally bought some 8.1's for my system at work and later built up the home system b/c I was so impressed. I think you might want to look elsewhere for your sub however. I have the Powercube 8 and it had a bigtime humming problem until I bought a cheater plug which cured it. I have been told that this is not the safest thing to do but so far so good. I have subsequently read other reviews slamming the Powercubes. Don't, however, let that stop you from getting the awesome Diamonds though. Check out Amazon.com b/c I was there today and it looks like, in error, have mispriced the 8.4's. They have them at like $274 I think-cheaper than the 8.3's-hopefully they have to honor that price!!!!!!! Good Luck

Chris Shelly

Second Unit
Thanks for the info about the Diamond line.

I plan to upgrade as soon as my tax return comes in. Hopefully in the next 4 to 6 weeks.

Is the Diamond line being discontinued by any chance? I would hate to wait 6 weeks and then find out they are no longer available.

My budget for this complete system will be limited. Right now I have a JBL PB12 and I am happy with its bass output. I would be even happier if the Powercube 12 put out more bass even if it is slight.

The the price at amazon.com is priced individually. So in reality they are $548 per pair. Pretty much the same price as Wild West Electronics. For minute I thought I could get them as a pair for that price until I read further.

I am pretty happy with my NSP1/PB12 system but it sounds a little tiny. Hopefully upgrading to the Diamonds will provide a richer fuller sound.

Chris,

I have had Wharfedales for about 6 months now. Diamond 8.4 mains, Diamond 8 center and Diamond 8.1 rears. I got the entire package for about $1000 from Wild West Electronics. It was free shipping and they are an authorized Wharfedale reseller.

I personally think the Diamond line sounds amazing, for both music and HT. My speakers really opened up for music playback after about 75-100 hours of use. They do have a long break in period. I added the "Mighty Little DLS" sub to this setup, it is on it's way now so I can't say how it will perform with the Wharfs, but I have a good feeling :)

Also, for the price I don't think the Diamonds can be beat.

Hi guys. In my opinion you should also consider the Wharfedale Emerald series.You can sometimes get them cheaper than the Diamond series.I have spoken to IAG America, the importer/owner of Wharfedale, regarding their different lines, and they say the Emeralds are much better than the Diamonds, but the Diamonds are better known due to more reviews. I can personally say the Emeralds are excellent for home theater or music. Thanks

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks