What's new

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
When Alfred Hitchcock protégé Joan Harrison went off on her own to produce films, one of her most effective efforts was They Won’t Believe Me, a tidy little noir suspense tale with the expected twists and turns and a surprise ending.

They Won't Believe Me (1947)

Released: 16 Jul 1947
Rated: Approved
Runtime: 95 min

Director: Irving Pichel
Genre: Drama, Film-Noir, Romance

Cast: Susan Hayward, Robert Young, Jane Greer, Rita Johnson
Writer(s): Jonathan Latimer (screen play), Gordon McDonell (story)

Plot: On trial for murdering his girlfriend, philandering stockbroker Larry Ballentine takes the stand to claim his innocence and describe the actual, but improbable sounding, sequence of events that led to her death.

IMDB rating: 7.2
MetaScore: N/A...

Continue reading...

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Don't forget this is the uncut (95 minutes) version of this film that most of us haven't seen beforehand. I have this BD on pre-order, but I will watch this uncut version for the first time this Saturday on TCM during their 2021 film festival.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Many thanks for this review and congratulations for managing to avoid spoilers! I'm delighted to hear that the picture quality is so good although, as the disc comes from Warner Archive, I'm not surprised. I very much look forward to seeing this film again. I did once see the full version and when later I saw the film again on television, I noticed immediately that some scenes were missing.

mackjay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jay
Enjoyable, definitely not great melodrama, "pulp fiction" as the reviewer says. I've never seen it as truly "noir" (even if we can say it has an "homme fatal"). The females are all top-notch, but I've never thought Robert Young was effective in this part. He didn't have the looks to charm the women, nor did the character's personality. Agree Mitchum, or maybe Tyrone Power would have been a more effective choice.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Enjoyable, definitely not great melodrama, "pulp fiction" as the reviewer says. I've never seen it as truly "noir" (even if we can say it has an "homme fatal"). The females are all top-notch, but I've never thought Robert Young was effective in this part. He didn't have the looks to charm the women, nor did the character's personality. Agree Mitchum, or maybe Tyrone Power would have been a more effective choice.
Zachary Scott would have been perfect.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Just watched this Warner Archive blu-ray that I bought recently. Solid film noir from 1947. Good picture quality. Certainly a different kind of role than Father Knows Best....

they won't believe me.jpeg

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Just watched this Warner Archive blu-ray that I bought recently. Solid film noir from 1947. Good picture quality. Certainly a different kind of role than Father Knows Best....

View attachment 170672
That's also the uncut version that most of us never seen before this Blu-ray release. A great looking disc!

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
The ending has to be depressing if it’s going to be a true Film Noir.
Very true. The best and most authentic noirs end on a note of creatively conceived irony and despair (Sunset Blvd., Touch of Evil, Detour, In a Lonely Place, Kiss Me Deadly, Scarlet Street, Double Indemnity, Night and the City, The Killing, Criss Cross...) Even if the good guys win - like at the end of The Big Combo or The Big Heat - there's a shit ton of human collateral damage left behind.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks