What's new

Theater prewiring question (1 Viewer)

alexlane

Auditioning
Real Name
Alex
Hey, I will start with saying this forum is awesome and very helpful. I just want to make sure that I have everything right before I sheetrock. I am doing a 14x20 theater in a basement (yeah I know it is too small) and I want to make sure that I use the right cables and quality cables. Will some please tell me if I have everything. I will use a projector and prewire for 5.1 and 6.1.

HDMI to projector, component to projector, 12 guage speaker wire for all speakers, and a subwoofer cable. Is there anything that I am forgetting? I keep reading about people making cables. Is this the best way to go? Also, where is a good place to purchase these cables and a good brand? Thanks for your time! I really do appreciate it!

SethH

Senior HTF Member
I would definitely pre-wire for 7.1 instead of 6.1. Also, you might run at least two subwoofer cables as you do not yet know where the sub will sound best (this will also give the option to have two subs later). You might consider a piece of conduit (maybe pvc, maybe something flexible) running to the projector with some strings run through it to help pull any cables you may need later.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
I know you were specifically asking about A/V but I would make sure you consider some add-ons like wiring for a powered screen, curtains and especially some lighting options. Wall sconces, overheads on different switches etc. It's just easier to do it ahead of time. I didn't have that foresight and wish I did. I recently added a dimmer switch controlled by my universal remote and that made a huge difference. I only wish I had done the wall sconces for that true theater feel.

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
As far as pre-made cables....try Blue Jeans Cable. Reasonable prices and quality products that can be ordered to the proper length. You might also want to consider a separate circuit for your power needs as well.

Mort

alexlane

Auditioning
Real Name
Alex
Sounds good! Thanks very much for the help and I will hopefully have some pictures and post them when everything gets finished. Thanks again!!!

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
You don't know what's coming in the future. Doing in-wall wire for speakers is a good idea. My house is wired for 7.1 though I'm only using 5.1. For the connections from your rack to your projector, I'd recommend a 3" conduit. You can then wire anything you want including future connections.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks