What's new

Theater lighting (1 Viewer)

Jeffrey J

Auditioning
I was in my local Menards a while back and saw a remote controlled dimmer wall switch that would be hard wired, just like a regular light switch, but could be controlled using your universal remote controll. I should have bought it then but it was the last one and the box was all tore up so I thought I would wait till they got more in but they dont carry it anymore. It was only like $25. Does anyone know where I can pick one of these up or who the manufacturer might be?

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
I picked up something similar at wal-mart it sucked! I tried another just incase it was bad too.

What you want is the lutron, you can get it at home depot it uses an infra-red remote but if you have a learning remote you can just learn the buttons there are only 4 or 5.

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
The Lutron lighting package that I believe James is referring to is the Spacer System, and I agree that it works very well. You get an IR-controlled dimmer switch and a remote control (and if you have a 3-way light switch, you also get an accessory dimmer). It comes in a "package" that is priced a little better than if you buy the stuff individually. I believe I bought mine from Laner Electronics online for around $70 - $80 since I was not able to find that model of Lutron light at Home Depot or other home improvement stores. I don't even use the supplied remote control since I have a Pronto.

A word of advice: I think there are two packages, and the more expensive of the two comes with a remote that has multiple buttons for "scene" lighting. You might want to check to see if you can download the IR codes from remotecentral.com before buying. If you can, you can save the money and buy the cheaper package if you plan to put the codes into a universal remote such as a Pronto.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I have had a Lutron Spacer for two years now. It works great. Home Depot carries it (approx $59.00). It is a decora style switch with a 3 button remote. (Bright, dim, and on/off). I programmed the codes into my Pronto. It adds a lot to the experience to be able to dim the lights from the couch. X10 may be great for some people, but since I have no desire to expand beyond this switch the Spacer works great!

Alan Lackey

Agent
About the Lutron Spacer...I have 4 wall sconces on separate dimmers right now. Can you set all four of the Spacers to operate on the same command?

They do not have these at my local Home Depot, so any link to an online retailer would be greatly appreciated.

Marty D.

Agent
I also will have 4 sconces on the same dimmer. I assumed that there was a lutron device to control all 4. I don't see how that would be different that any other dimmer. I would be interested if this was not true.

I am looking for a non infrared option unless the infrared can be obtained for less than $50.

Pam W

Stunt Coordinator
Ask your Home Depot lighting person if the Spacer is not in stock - they can order just about anything. A more advanced system would be the Grafik Eye, also by Lutron, but can get quite pricey. I am still trying to decide if I want the Spacer or go hog wild with the Grafik Eye. It'll be a while, though, since my husband has to finish "Taz-Ma-Tree-House" for the boys first! Then the home theatre will take shape!

Alan Lackey

Agent
Has anyone used Lutron's RadioRA system?

I see where you can replace your dimmer switches and control them all via RF as opposed to infrared, allowing control of several rooms, etc. from one location without any rewiring.

Also, I see they have an IR interface unit that allows you to control it with a univeral [learning] remote.

Sounds like a neat idea...but once again I have not seen these work in person.

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
If you have more than one sconce and want to control them with the spacer system, I believe you need to order an accessory dimmer for each sconce you want to control (beyond the first one). Check out Link Removed for more info but I think this is how it works. I remember reading soemthing about how you can install them in the wall next to each other, and the IR dimmer is able to transmit the IR code to each accessory dimmer next to it. Lutron's site will have much more info on this, I'm sure.
I couldn't find the Spacer system at my Home Depot system either, so I ended up ordering it from Laner Electric Supply. Click on the "Dimming Controls" link on the left side of the home page and you'll get the Spacer link from there.
X-10 and Grafik Eye owners: care to share your experiences using these products? How well do they work? Price? Reason for buying?

Alan Lackey

Agent
As I understand it, the way the IR blaster works on other dimmers is only if they are in the same wall box. The dimmers have clear back boxes and the master controller sends IR left and right and those adjacent dimmers pick up the signal and react.

At first I thought it would control a dimmer down the wall from the master...but no.

Let me know how you like your Spacer system....dying to get mine in.

Tom Rosback

Stunt Coordinator
Alan,

The Spacer dimmers all respond to the same IR codes. So you 'should' be able to effectively gang a number of Speacers in the same room, as long as there is plenty of IR coverage.

Basically, the invividual Spacer dimmers will all respond to IR codes in unison. By avoiding the "Toggle On/Off" command, (you can imagine the trouble this would cause if one of the dimmers missed an IR command) and using the incremental dim and bright codes, the dimmers should track pretty well. I say should because I haven't tried this to see if it works.

The Grafik Eye System is outstanding. Very flexible, long fade times, up to six independent channels of dimming. Prices vary from about $300 to $700, depending on model and options.

The RadioRA system is even more flexible, (and more Expensive!). It can handle an entire house. Probably overkill for all but the highest end theaters.

Alan Lackey

Agent
Thanks Tom!

I started investigating the RadioRA setup and had to quickly back off when I saw the costs. While I am a huge fan of my sconce lighting...it is just turning lights on/down/off after all [laugh].

Thanks for the info on the Spacer....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks