What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

The Zodiac Killer (1 Viewer)

MattBu

Stunt Coordinator
Would anyone that was cognizant of the events surrounding the Zodiac killer let me know what the public reaction to his killing spree was? While reading about the accounts I find him much more disturbing than any of the serial killings that I have been alive for (Jeffrey Dahmer and the DC Snipers so far, as well as the Greenlake killer though his exploits were early in my life).

What brings this question on is that the Zodiac killer seems to have had much more contact with the press than the more recent serial killers and seems to have been the type of pure evil person that certain segments of the population are attracted to. Were people following this story with great interest in 1969 and beyond?

Were any movies made about the Zodiac killer, or any documentaries (Either of which might be available on DVD).

Thanks!

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

KathyBeck

Stunt Coordinator
There was a movie released about him. Don't know if it's on dvd or not.
He sent taunting letters to the press and the police bragging about his murders. Some were in code, which weren't cracked until several years after they were sent.
He obviously enjoyed the fear and hysteria he was causing, and his attacks were totally unpredictable as far as timing and location was concerned.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
In Exorcist III, they make use of the Zodiac Killer, but its entirely fictionalized

Chris Harvey

Second Unit
There's an independent film about him that was shot on location in Vallejo this summer (well, more about the killings and how they affected the community than him specifically). It's in post-production now and should be completed (at a guess) sometime in the spring.

It stars Rory Culkin, Robin Tunney, Justin Chambers, and Philip Baker Hall, among others, and its IMDB entry is here:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0371739/

MattBu

Stunt Coordinator
I found that B-movie and it looked just HORRIFIC. I was hoping there was some movie I had missed and could watch, bummer :frowning:

Guy Martin

Second Unit
Scorpio, the killer who terrorizes San Fransico in the first Dirty Harry was based on the Zodiac killer. In fact I believe that the note from Scorpio that Harry finds in the opening scene used the handwriting of the Zodiac killer (presumably forged or pieced together from his actual writings).
- Guy

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
The Zodiac killings are undeniably interesting, but I wonder how a prominent filmmaker like Fincher things that he can make a satisfying film on the events. Assuming the film stays within history, there will be no killer revealed at the end and cracking the codes the Zodiac Killer sent didn't really help the case.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
The Graysmith book has been heavily criticised by Zodiac "enthusiasts" for being innaccurate, making up some of its facts and being downright fiction in other parts.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
3 very advanced reviews have come up on AICN for Finchers Zodiac which has been changed to The Chronicles.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks