What's new

The worst experience ever with Canada customs, help sought please! (1 Viewer)

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
I've visited 22 countries (a lot are small caribbean islands) and nothing compares to the bs my mother and I went through to get into British Columbia back in 99. It would have been funny if it wasn't such a nightmare. Driving into Mexico and the U.S. were a complete breeze (which could be another thread altogether) and driving from European country to European country was never a problem either. I thought my experience was an isolated incident, but after reading this thread I can tell it was not. Well at least they don't boo our national anthem...
Oh, wait.:D

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member

No kidding, the guy at heathrow was AWESOME. Chatted for a few about where we were staying and what we were doing, and got a stamp and moved on.

Jason GT

Second Unit
Ah, everyone seems to be bagging Canada.

First off, many people seem to be mixing up the customs (goods) side, and the personnel entry side of things. They're very different.

1. Stones T-shirt -- what's the big deal? No border guard would stop you (in EITHER direction) for wearing something like this.

2. Why would a customs officer give an airport passenger trouble, unless they had a legitimate reason to give them trouble? How often has one had trouble getting through an international airport? Were you tyring to import something?

This doesn't justify the actions of any border guard but for the love of whatever religious deity you believe in (or don't believe in), don't think that Canada customs is a constant nightmare. When it comes to taxes and duties CCRA is known for being ... anal.

As for everybody from the states, just be glad that you're not trying to visit the states from an outside country and

a) have a muslim-sounding name
b) have a middling-dark colored skin

and hopefully I won't have to add to that.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member

That will just about close this thread.

You shouldn't take it so personally, we are all just telling our similar experiences we have had with the Canadian border patrol trying to drive across the border, not "bagging Canada".

I hope you get your dispute settled Serge and Alex, most people can see what happened to the both of you was wrong.

Mark Philp

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark
Serge, Perhaps it's as you say, but we should all remember that with the way things are in the world today the customs officers, in both our countries, are under great stress. If you really think they treated you badly and you or your friend were not at fault, I would imagine that there must be some formal way to file a complaint. I don't know about Canada but here in the U.S. there is also a procedure to appeal the amount of duty and taxes one has had to pay. Didn't mean to imply you guys were doing something wrong, its just your story was so long and complicated it sounded a little odd to me. Anyway, good luck.

Jason GT

Second Unit

It actually isn't my intention to close this thread (if it was my purpose I'd probably give examples, but ... anyways);
I am taking a bit of offense when people who live in glass houses throw stones. That's all. And like I said, importing goods and simply crossing the border are different actions.

Jimi C

Screenwriter

That wasnt my point. I was simply stating that it was a nice boarder lady, it was 3am, we were 5 teenagers shoved in a pontiac and all she did was ask about the show. I mentioned the shirt because if i didnt you would have to beleive that she was a psychic or mick jagger was in the back seat.
Generally they ask, where were you born, where you are going, what is your purpose for going there and check id's, she didnt do any of this. Just "how was the show?" "have a good night."

Brad_Harper

Stunt Coordinator
I think it all depends on what country your a citizen of. Being a Canadian coming into Canada from the U.S is very easy. I have never had a problem. Going into the U.S. is a completely different story. Lots of questions and sometimes a search. Obviously if I was a U.S. citizen crossing from Canada back into the U.S. should be easier then coming into Canada. The border patrol will usually be nicer to it's own citizens.
A lot of times it all depends on the mood of the officer you happen to drive up to that day. If they want to make your life hell that particular minute, they can.

Mark Murphy

Supporting Actor
I used to drive to Montreal frequently and never really had a problem. Once I did get stopped and searched because my friend was driving a rental but we were only detained for about three hours. I won't go to Canada now, though. I can't see spending my time and money in a place that hates me. My friend was up there last summer and was physically attacked because he is American, so he obviously supported President Bush, according to his attackers. The poor guy is as left as they come.

Brad_Harper

Stunt Coordinator
I am sorry that your friend had a bad time in Canada but I must say that the anti-American feelings that many of you have spoken about have been way over exaggerated. I don't know of a single person in my social circle that hate Americans. We may not like some of the decisions your government has made recently, but we don't like the decisions our own government makes either. :)

Our media likes to make fun of the American need to rule the world and their perceived lack of knowledge about anything outside of their country. And I know the American media makes fun of us for being backwoods country folk that only drink beer, watch hockey, and wear beaver pelts.:D So it's a two way street.

Do not fear your nothern friends! We are home theater loving folk just like the rest of you, even though we may not agree with your choice of speakers! :D

BobV

Second Unit
Brad_Harper is 100% correct. All these 'horror' stories are for Americans trying to enter Canada. I'm sure there are multiple stories for Canadians trying to enter the US, I know I have my own. Of course an American coming back to the US is going to have a very easy time of it in comparison to going to Canada.

I don't mean to be unfeeling or anything, but other than the Customs Officer's rude attitude, I can see why the problems.

Let's pretend that the sale actually wasn't final until the 'demo' was done. So, now how is Canada Customs and Revenue supposed to collect the taxes and duties on the item? Is the buyer going to voluntarily go to Customs and pay these? Ya right. CCRA must assume the unit is going to be purchased and charge the applicable taxes, fees, and duties, and collect at that time. If I'm a CCRA officer (who will know nothing about the HT lingo of 'demoing') hears that it's not actually sold yet, their first thought is going to be 'ya right', and they will assume that the person is trying to mislead the CCRA. That person will now be treated with more contempt than normal as they are being viewed as trying to hide something. Since that is the case, double PST/GST now applies.

CCRA also does not have the time to phone every Tom Dick and Harry about finding out how much my product costs. I am to provide adequate proof and then the judgment is made from that. Your bill said $1199+50, so thats the price.

$1249USD
x
1.35 exchange
=============
$1686.15CAD

GST/PST (15%) would be $252.93 x 2 (fine) = $505.86

That means duties of around $56.14 were paid... this amount could probably be appealled. The unit was manufactured in the US, although I don't know if the documentation that was provided mentioned this. If not, the duty would logically be charged. It must be assumed the product was manufactured elsewhere if there is not proof of US manufacturing.

Please understand I'm not trying to be rude at all, but I can see why the charges were as such, and I can see why you were fined. I'm not saying I agree with everything that happened (especially the lack of respect for your posessions and person), but I understand... and actually, if push came to shove, am glad that the process happened as it did as it shows that the CCRA are not easily fooled (or hopefully thats what it shows).

Best of luck on any further crossings and hope you had a good time while in Canada. :)

Alex-Mic.

Stunt Coordinator
The receipt had svs' address on it but it didnt say made in the US on there. I believe it has a Made in the USA logo in the manual. On the original box which I also brought along there is roughly a 12''x12'' made in the usa logo with a US flag.
I dont know about all the tax lingo. I'm sure they probally had seen the made in the usa somwhere, either in the manual, receipt, box or on the sub itself but if we dont mention it why should they? Right? They try to suck you for every penny they can.

They werent about to listen to us anyway.

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter
I got concerned when I read that you'd agreed ahead of time about 'what to tell the customs people.'

Why couldn't you have said, up front, "my buddy is thinking of buying this, for X amount, but wants to hear how it sounds first." I'm thinking the response would have been 'Ok, we'll have to charge tax and duty, but if you still have the unit, let us record the serial number, we'll reimburse you on the way back.' Boom done.

Honestly, I'd have been thinking 'yeah, you're humping this giant subwoofer all the way to a different country just for a demo. Bullshit.' But then, I'm a cynical bastard.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member

I would have to concur with this. I don't think bad experiences crossing the border (which may or may not be warranted) equates being hated. I have had both good and bad dealings with US Customs, but that doesn't mean I think all Americans hate me.

As for the made is US issue, there is required paperwork when importing goods, it doesn't matter if there are stickers everywhere. You need a certificate of origin, which can be filed after importation to refund any duties collected erroniously. Without that piece of paper, customs will charge duty. This was put in place just this year, they were more forgiving before. I also agree with BobV about why you were given a hard time. By your own admission you conspired on the story to be told to customs, presumably to import the item without paying taxes and got nailed. This was suspicious and you were penalized. They could have also seized your vehicle and thrown you in jail for smuggling.

Serge Breton

Supporting Actor
oh boy,

here we go. Shayne i understand your thinking here but i have to jump in here...funds were exchanged and Alex (and I) told them that clearly. We were not trying to "fool" anyone here, period. As mentionned earlier, we spoke about setting up the sub at my house and do some tinkering all at the same time. This was planned from the beginning and Alex conveyed that to the agent.

Fine if customs assumed there was foul play but we were honest and explained everything to them (over and over again) saying the same story as if they were trying to get me to say something contradictory, etc.

The point is that they made a serious error, after we explained ourselves and the fact that i was there right away and ready to pay taxes owed....you would think that customs would say to themselves, ok it is possible that we made a mistake here ourselves so let's give these guys a break, they are not the bad guys nor are they criminals so let's just charge what is owed, offer an apology and life goes on.

NO! Instead they make our lives misereable! At the end the lady kept blabbering on and on after i payed the penalty and i finally said "lady, no disrespect but i have had enough and i do not want to hear any more from you, goodbye". I was at the end of my wits and you wonder why some people get road rage....

The look of discouragement on Alex's face said it all at the time. We are owed an apology.

Serge Breton

Supporting Actor
and one more thing, Canadians like americans. We are like brothers and sisters in many ways.

Regarding the protest, i feel bad that your friend got attacked but his could happen anywhere. When opposing sides collide whether in Canada, the US or anywhere these things will inevideably happen.

As i stated earlier, i would move to the US if i could. I stated reasons earlier and the experience this past week only strengthens my sentiments. Being mistreated in my own country and falsely accusing a fellow HTF member is unacceptable. Like i said before, it's things like this that make me ashamed of being Canadian, there is no other way to put it. Some of the laws passed in recent months also disgust me, I think many of you know which laws i am referring to. Yes everybody has rights but morality, church, etc, etc has been thrown out the window. Let the people speak and vote these laws in, not the governement.

Blah, blah i know. You guys get me going but it's true.

JamieD

Supporting Actor

Not all of us like all of them. That blanket statement is a bit much. Many Canadians can't stand each other. I am a "brother" to no nation.

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter
Serge,

Be that as it may, the sense I got from the story told by Alex on the first page of this thread is that there was some waffling about what was told to Customs, that a story had been, for lack of a better term, cooked up, and so on.

Was their conduct unprofessional and intolerable? Absolutely. Was their actions; i.e. confiscating the sub and charging the fines, unwarrented? I don't think so. Should it all be resolvable? Absolutely.

Contact a local television station, and pitch the whole thing to their 'SoAndSo Fights For The Little Guy' section.

Let me clarify again; I'm not trying to accuse either of you of shady doings or cheating the gubbermint or anything. I am, however, saying that I can see why, based on Alex's tale, Customs would get suspicious.

Serge Breton

Supporting Actor
Shayne,

resolvable, i hope so. We did talk about what would be mentionned to customs, and that is that Alex was bringing the sub to my house. Nothing wrong with that, there was nothing wrong premeditated. If there was anything premeditated, i could have asked him to declare a lower value like many do when crossing the border. I did not do that. This would be wrong...

My biggest thing is that i had no vehicle to pick up this sucker, had i had one i would have done things differently not considering what happened last week.

Out of all this the scenario now is that due to the size of the PB2+ i am very limited as to where the sub can be placed in my room. Both rear corners yield an undesireable frequency response with big nulls around 30hz, 65hz and a null at 80hz as well. The 80hz null can be eliminated by blending in with the mains but basically i can't put the sub where i would like to. I knew there was some bass absent when demoing my favorite dvds. In the matrix, during the Neo/Morpheous match-up when Morpheous comes down on his foot after flying through the air there is little bass, the helicopter scene with the machine gun, very little bass and the depth charge scene in U-571 the same thing. The nodes are affecting these frequencies and i will need to see if bass response improves when i place the sub along the side walls towards the front. All my tests were done with ETF-5 and the results confirm my findings. It's an excellent sub no doubt but in my room it may not be a good match. My old 20-39CS sounded way better...After all the trouble and the expense i may opt for something else but not without some extensive testing first. I believe i can find a good placement but there are few places where the sub can be placed in my small/medium sized room. Sigh....

Tom Meyer

Second Unit
sounds like the customs racket is generally very inflexible everywhere. Last fall I bought a small jewelry box for about $40 and shipped it via FedEx to a friend who lived in Italy. The trouble started when the mailroom uy in my office mistakently trasmitted a value of $1000+ to FedEx, whereupon my friend was asked to pony up 120 euros in VAT in order for it to be delivered. Even after finding the mistake in the software, showing them the receipt and generally begging them to give me a break, once the customs people in Italy had processed it, they said you're basically screwed. Luckily my company paid the $$ as it was their fault to begin with.

But basically, the moral of the story is that it's been my experience that finding rational people working in customs or many other branches of government/public sector are rather slim.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks