What's new

The Wire, Season 2 (1 Viewer)

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
Last night's episode was a doozy:D is killed by (it looks like) Stringer, without Avon's OK
Niko is getting deeper into bed with the Greek. Ziggy is still a moron.

McNulty seems to be giving up - resigning to life on the boat. If he's done with the girl's case he was working, I wonder how/if they'll get him in with the rest of the gang.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I'm not so sure about Avon's role.

In the conversation between Stringer and Avon, which was included in the initial recap, Avon asks Stringer to confirm that he (Avon) has done everything he could for D. They're looking at each very intently. Both of them know that, if D has struck out on his own and rejected their "protection", he's a liability who can't be trusted.

I guess it depends on how you interpret Avon's final comment about D having to find "his own way".

M.

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
Michael,

I'm looking a bit at next week's preview:Where Stringer's man says something to the effect that it was just business but Avon didn't give his blessing. I think this is also why Stringer went out of town to get it done - so Avon couldn't trace it back.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Avon needs deniability in D's murder, because he has to be able to deal with D's mother (his sister). That would be reason enough for Stringer to go out of town for the arrangements. I think we'll never really know whether Avon approved; it's no accident that his exchange with Stringer is so ambiguous. The one thing he does not say is, "Don't do anything" -- which is significant, because Avon knows better than anyone how Stringer would evaluate the risk that D now poses to them.

M.

McNulty seems to be giving up - resigning to life on the boat. If he's done with the girl's case he was working, I wonder how/if they'll get him in with the rest of the gang.
I think after last night's events, McNulty is going to hear about what happened and become pretty interested in things again...

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
I don't think Avon gave the OK to D's murder, I think Stringer is going out on his own. I think the conversation with Bell and Avon was just an Uncle asking if he has done right by his Nephew.

Freeman and the female cop are doing some serious police work, that must be the biggest pain in the @ss to look through all of those years of containers on file.

Omar on the stand was great, how he put on that tie was classic. Omar throwing that jab at the defense attorney was another great move, made the courtroom laugh. Also, it doesn't look like Omar saw the murder, but he knew enough about it though, just a little payback.

Nick is getting in real deep right now, that will be his demise. The dock control man is smart to stay out of the drug business, but Nick and Ziggy(freaking fool) will get theirs soon enough.

Matt Pasant

Second Unit
Episode 19: All Prolouge

"It doesn't matter that some fool say he different" - D'Angelo

Being out of town on work precluded me from posting soon.

Big doings going on in West Baltimore.

First off, Omar Little on the stand was perhaps the best thing on the show. Him showing up with his tie on was great. Never mind the fact that he did not "witness" the crime.

Proposition Joe and the Isreali being friends is no good. This must mean that the greeks are Barksdales main competitors right now and moving along of muscle. Especially how easily they resolved the Cheese conflict. Add to the fact that Nick is going to be pushing drugs and you have Barksdale, Greeks, and Nick all intertwined.

Thoughts on D's killing. I have a few takes and I have no clue as to which one will pan out if any:

1. A few weeks ago, When String and Avon met they discussed D' Angelo and if they did everything they could for him. Avon said he was "fair, maybe to too fair".. So they decided that they needed to take some real estate and put it in his name. Could that be a plot of land in a cemetary? I mean if D was going to be in prision for 20 years I am sure a piece of land in his name would not make him content... But that might have been a cryptic way to say, ok.. we need to kill him

next:
If you paid close attention, the guy who killed D was overhearing his conversation while he was speaking with his mother. He paid particular interest when the ho shots were mentioned. Now the guy who met him outside the library after he killed D was the same guy who mentioned the book was torn. Could this hit just been a matter of circumstance and String and Avon had nothing to do with it. But they killed D because he knew about the hot shots and said nothing? Or they were loyal to the security guard?

The third possibility is that Strong acted alone.

D'Angelo reading Great Gatsby was no mistake. If you remember in the book, Jay Gatsby is killed because the mechanic believes Gatsby was responsible for his wifes death, when in fact he was not driving the car. So there could be some similarity there.

So the cops have now linked the checkers to the strippers and how they let things slide through, and have established a pattern as well. Next week it looks like they hit the ground running.

Sobotka got his warning about the timly donations and the contributions from national. Dont be too suprised if they come back to haunt him. With the chemicals for the drugs to be processed coming through his docks, he is as responsible as anyone now.

-- Matt

Bill_D

Supporting Actor
Does anyone know the artist and name of the song for the outro music for this show?

RobertW

Supporting Actor
i haven't really posted anything cause there's not much i can add. but i just wanted to say that omar on the stand was absolutely hilarious, especially the way he put it to the lawyer.

also hilarious was mcnulty playing with the mannequin in the real estate office. we got to see a playful, fun side to him that we hadn't seen yet.

i'd like to think that d isn't dead; it seemed he quit struggling fairly quickly, perhaps playing possum? but i can't see that kind of a cop-out from this show. i was completely shocked that kima survived in season one. i can't see them doing it again with d'angelo.

and yeah, i think stringer's acting alone on this one. partly cause he knows it's the best thing to do, and that avon wouldn't consider it because d was family. and partly cause now he's got free reign with d's woman. perhaps we have a struggle between he and avon for control of the gang in the future.

it was mentioned in an earlier episode that proposition joe was one of the only ones who still had good product. obviously, the greeks are his supplier.

and damn, don't kima look fine with her hair down and all dressed up to go out. :D

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
I was watching the first two episode of Season 2 last night with my mom and noticed that Stringer is the one that is always worried about D not being able to carry the weight. When Bell and Avon are talking by the fence, you can see String asking if D can take it, not only scene but you can tell Stringer is worried.

Avon would never have D killed just for the fact that they are family, Avon would let D'Angelo out of the game if D truly wanted to be out. Now if D snitched or did something bad like that than yes, but D is just pissed and is withdrawing for the crew. Plus, Avon would wait till the last possible moment to kill his Nephew, he would of waited until D'Angelo's mother talked with him.

McNutty and the mannequin was a funny scene.

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
Matt, your take on the "real estate under his name" comment makes a lot of sense.

My first thought on that scene was that the intention was not to kill D but to send him to the infermary, scare him real good so that he realizes that he needs his uncle Avon's protection.

We'll see what happens next episode.

BTW, let's break this up into a new thread per episode. It's done with The Sopranos and some other shows like 24, why not with this one? This is starting to get too long and it's gonna be a pain to go back and read all those pages.

Admins? Any comments on the idea?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I'm proposing that we do all series threads like this one, including 24, Sopranos and Six Feet Under. It's worked well for the Buffy and Angel threads, and I think it's the only way to manage the discussion appropriately. Look at what just happend with 6FU: Someone who's just now catching up on season 3 had to track down and post in at least half a dozen separate threads.

M.

Tommy Ceez

Second Unit
I havnt read the spoiulers but heres my take on D's strangeling. The guy who did him heared D say to his mom that Avon was behind the hot doses. The guy gets revenge on Avon by offing his relative who is 'out of the family fold'...just a thought

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks