What's new

DVD Review The Virginian: The Complete Seventh Season DVD Review (1 Viewer)

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Rest in peace James Drury. He made the iconic Western character of The Virginian his own.
Virginian 23.JPG

Virginian 10.JPG

Last edited:

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
With the recent passing of James Drury, I revisited a flashback episode where we see how the mysterious "Virginian" came to Wyoming territory and became judge Garth's foreman at the Shiloh...first being mistaken as a hired gun in the employ of a neighboring rancher Peterson (Leif Erickson, later of High Chaparral) who's locked in a full blown range war with judge Garth...the Virginian actually does find himself in the employ of the rival rancher, but as a cowhand and not a fast gun...he finds a bloody and volatile situation where Peterson's ranch foreman (Michael Forrest, best known as "Apollo" in Star Trek) is plotting to take over the ranch by murdering Peterson and marrying his daughter (the radiant Mariette Hartley)...

The Virginian S2E19, The Drifter (Jan. 29, 1964)...my screen caps from the Timeless DVDs...
Virginian 1.JPG

Virginian 2.JPG

Virginian 3.JPG

Virginian 4.JPG

Virginian 5.JPG

Virginian 16.JPG

Virginian 7.JPG

Virginian 8.JPG

Virginian 10.JPG

Virginian 11.JPG

Virginian 12.JPG

Virginian 14.JPG

Virginian 15.JPG

Virginian 17.JPG

Virginian 18.JPG

Virginian 19.JPG

Virginian 20.JPG

Virginian 21.JPG

Virginian 23.JPG

Virginian 24.JPG

Continued next post...

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
The Virginian S2E19, The Drifter (Jan.29, 1964) continued...the Virginian's origin story, at least back to the point where he found himself in the Wyoming territory during a bloody range war, ultimately ending up in the employ of judge Garth of the Shiloh Ranch...but not before he has yet another detour into tragedy and lost love...
Virginian 25.JPG

Virginian 26.JPG

Virginian 27.JPG

Virginian 30.JPG

Virginian 31.JPG

Virginian 32.JPG

Virginian 33.JPG

Virginian 34.JPG

Virginian 35.JPG

Virginian 40.JPG

Virginian 41.JPG

Virginian 42.JPG

Virginian 43.JPG

Virginian 44.JPG

Virginian 45.JPG

Virginian 47.JPG

Virginian 48.JPG

Having rescued a wounded Virginian from near death, Judge Garth at one point tells him: "you talked a lot in your delirium. Nothing that I'll ever repeat, not even to you"....

Last edited:

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
As you can see from those great screen captures from Flahsgear, The Virginian is now in High Definition. All 9 Seasons are available in HD on Starz. I've been watching some selected episodes, and enjoying this epic Western from long ago.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I realize it isn't proper to utilize the main forum for selling items, but I know I rarely ever go to the Media Classified section myself and several have mentioned earlier in this thread how difficult it is to find the elusive Season 7. I have a copy for sale at a reasonable price in the Media Section, if any are interested. I wouldn't have posted here accept to service the audience most interested. Mods feel free to remove with my apologies if you deem it improper.

Real Name
John
As you can see from those great screen captures from Flahsgear, The Virginian is now in High Definition. All 9 Seasons are available in HD on Starz. I've been watching some selected episodes, and enjoying this epic Western from long ago.

Searched for a general Virginian thread and couldn't find one, but this one will do.

I just got the S5 DVD and popped in the Angie Dickinson episode, "Ride To Delphi." I have a few other Virginian season sets, and they generally look miles better than any other Timeless DVDs I have, but this episode's picture quality is stellar. The image is sharp and the colors pop.

The date of your post about the show being in HD and the Amazon release date of the DVD I bought are pretty close. Seems unlikely, but is it possible the DVDs have been upgraded? FWIW, my set came in a clear case, not the old dark cases that pretty much every Timeless thing I've ever bought came in. On the other hand, the discs have the same label face as my other Virginian DVDs and they show a 2011 date. But the Angie episode looks crazy good, especially by Timeless standards.

Last edited:

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Searched for a general Virginian thread and couldn't find one, but this one will do.

I just got the S5 DVD and popped in the Angie Dickinson episode, "Ride To Delphi." I have a few other Virginian season sets, and they generally look miles better than any other Timeless DVDs I have, but this episode's picture quality is stellar. The image is sharp and the colors pop.

The date of your post about the show being in HD and the Amazon release date of the DVD I bought are pretty close. Seems unlikely, but is it possible the DVDs have been upgraded? FWIW, my set came in a clear case, not the old dark cases that pretty much every Timeless thing I've ever bought came in. On the other hand, the discs have the same label face as my other Virginian DVDs and they show a 2011 date. But the Angie episode looks crazy good, especially by Timeless standards.
First off, welcome to the forum John!

As Randall stated, his superb captures are from the Timeless Media DVD release. What is streaming in HD on Amazon blows the DVD release out of the water. Someone here that knows far more than me about all this feels the HD prints on Amazon originate from the same prints used for the Timeless release. I find that hard to believe. Nevertheless, since owning these I’ll never touch my Timeless DVD’s again. Here’s a few screen caps and a very short clip from the episode you referenced, S05E02 Ride to Delphi (Sep.21.1966.) I had to keep the clip to 1m 18s so that it wouldn’t exceed the 50MB HTF maximum limit.

The_Virginian_S05E02_RideToDelphi-1.jpg
The_Virginian_S05E02_RideToDelphi-2.jpg
The_Virginian_S05E02_RideToDelphi-3.jpg
The_Virginian_S05E02_RideToDelphi-4.jpg
The_Virginian_S05E02_RideToDelphi-5.jpg
The_Virginian_S05E02_RideToDelphi-6.jpg
The_Virginian_S05E02_RideToDelphi-7.jpg
The_Virginian_S05E02_RideToDelphi-8.jpg
The_Virginian_S05E02_RideToDelphi-9.jpg
The_Virginian_S05E02_RideToDelphi-10.jpg
The_Virginian_S05E02_RideToDelphi-11.jpg
The_Virginian_S05E02_RideToDelphi-12.jpg
The_Virginian_S05E02_RideToDelphi-13.jpg

Real Name
John

As Randall stated, his superb captures are from the Timeless Media DVD release. What is streaming in HD on Amazon blows the DVD release out of the water. Someone here that knows far more than me about all this feels the HD prints on Amazon originate from the same prints used for the Timeless release. I find that hard to believe. Nevertheless, since owning these I’ll never touch my Timeless DVD’s again. Here’s a few screen caps and a very short clip from the episode you referenced, S05E02 Ride to Delphi (Sep.21.1966.) I had to keep the clip to 1m 18s so that it wouldn’t exceed the 50MB HTF maximum limit.

Thanks, Neal. I lurked here a long time before finally registering. Signing up on an Internet forum at this late date seemed a lot like showing up for a New Year's Eve party the following January 2nd (haha), but I eventually did.

Anyway, while I'm certainly not claiming that DVD is as good as HD/Blu-ray, what I was seeing last night honestly didn't look that much different than your screencaps. I'll see how other episodes from this season fare.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel

As Randall stated, his superb captures are from the Timeless Media DVD release. What is streaming in HD on Amazon blows the DVD release out of the water. Someone here that knows far more than me about all this feels the HD prints on Amazon originate from the same prints used for the Timeless release. I find that hard to believe. Nevertheless, since owning these I’ll never touch my Timeless DVD’s again.
Absolutely stunning HD image quality...thanks for posting, Neal! The Timeless DVDs look quite nice, but nothing like as sharp as this. Sadly, this is yet another series which is not available on Amazon Prime Japan. Maybe one day. Till then, my DVD sets will have to suffice. They do look very good, as John says (and I'll echo Neal in welcoming you to "active participant" status on the forum, John!)

SuperClark

Second Unit
Real Name
Clark
You can watch Starz if you get a VPN.I downloaded The Virginian in HD as well as other classic western tv series.Never bought the dvds.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.