What's new

The Vikings coming on Blu-ray from Kino 03-08-16! (1 Viewer)

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Persianimmortal said:
I think there's little doubt that Kino will just release what they get, and I also doubt it will be a new restoration. That said, I watched the existing HD version on Netflix Mexico tonight and it looked OK to me. A little oversharpened and thus a bit harshly grained, and a few white flecks throughout, with some minor color pulsing and jitter in a couple of scenes. But overall very watchable, with nice detail and good colors. Should look good on Blu.

This is probably the version I saw, too - it was a bit oversharpened but still looking decent.

Allansfirebird

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sean
Ever since getting into the respective careers of Jack Cardiff and Eddie Fowlie, this film has become one of my favorite widescreen epics. Such a beautifully-shot film cries out for the blu-ray treatment, and I'm excited for Kino's presentation!

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
john a hunter said:
Probably NO.

The film was not a roadshow and went straight into a very successful general release.

By 1958 multi track mag 35 mm prints were getting rare.

The music was never released in stereo even if it had been recorded that way.

So unfortunately not but at least we have Jack Cardiff's glorious large format photography.

Maybe yes unless this was re-processed for stereo.

s-l1600.jpg

john a hunter

Screenwriter
RolandL said:
Maybe yes unless this was re-processed for stereo.

s-l1600.jpg
It sure was. You should be able to hear all the reverb added for fake stereo.

I had that lp. Seduced by " horizon spanning Technirama " as the sleeve proclaimed. Didn't do much for the sound though. :D

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
john a hunter said:
Probably NO.

The film was not a roadshow and went straight into a very successful general release.

By 1958 multi track mag 35 mm prints were getting rare.

The music was never released in stereo even if it had been recorded that way.

So unfortunately not but at least we have Jack Cardiff's glorious large format photography.
Do not have any first hand information and when I saw THE VIKINGS upon first run many years ago it was clearly in mono. That said I've read over the years that THE VIKINGS was indeed a stereo film and the tracks are lost.

john a hunter

Screenwriter
Paul Rossen said:
Do not have any first hand information and when I saw THE VIKINGS upon first run many years ago it was clearly in mono. That said I've read over the years that THE VIKINGS was indeed a stereo film and the tracks are lost.
Do you recall, the source, Paul?

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Paul Rossen said:
Read it years ago. This forum is a possibility.

I think it was Joe Caps who said it was originally stereo (& the same with The Big Country), maybe on here, certainly on the filmscoremonthly board. It's a moot point now, as it's mono & has been for many decades. It's a fantastic score by Nascimbene, & I only wish the various audio releases over the years sounded better.

Ah, those shots (a few minutes in) of the Viking ship sailing across the fjord, Jack Cardiff's great photography backed by that music, pure cinema.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
Billy Batson said:
I think it was Joe Caps who said it was originally stereo (& the same with The Big Country), maybe on here, certainly on the filmscoremonthly board. It's a moot point now, as it's mono & has been for many decades. It's a fantastic score by Nascimbene, & I only wish the various audio releases over the years sounded better.

Ah, those shots (a few minutes in) of the Viking ship sailing across the fjord, Jack Cardiff's great photography backed by that music, pure cinema.
Numerous sources have stated that The Big Country was indeed originally produced and shown in stereo. Too bad it's not available today in that format.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
willyTass said:
Please be a new scan
What MGM has is probably just good enough to get by without causing embarrassment to them or Kino which means there will be no new scan of the OCN. It will be the same as with Legend of the Lost and Solomon and Sheba, both MGM properties and both look OK but not great.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
OliverK said:
What MGM has is probably just good enough to get by without causing embarrassement to them or Kino which means there will be no new scan of the OCN. It will be the same as with Legend of the Lost and Solomon and Sheba, both MGM propertys and both look OK but not great.

Yup, my thoughts exactly (but I wish they'd do a clean up for Blu-ray, sparkle & various marks really do show up more in HD). I'm not multi-region so I'll be waiting for a European release, which I think will happen some time next year, I'll have plenty of time to read the reviews while I'm waiting.

john a hunter

Screenwriter
Billy Batson said:

Still seems odd that if it was recorded in stereo at least the lps of this sound track and Big Country are mono. That is a pain for Vikings fun score but downright criminal for Moross' stunning Big Country score. Regarded by many as a masterpiece.

Also surprising there was no 70mm reissue of Vikings in the 60's if stereo tracks were available.

In any event as Billy states, it's moot.

Mono we will get.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
john a hunter said:
Still seems odd that if it was recorded in stereo at least the lps of this sound track and Big Country are mono. That is a pain for Vikings fun score but downright criminal for Moross' stunning Big Country score. Regarded by many as a masterpiece.
Also surprising there was no 70mm reissue of Vikings in the 60's if stereo tracks were available.
In any event as Billy states, it's moot.
Mono we will get.
To my knowledge there was no 60ies 70mm reissue of any Technirama movie that was not originally shown in 70mm. Too bad as many 70mm prints of movies promoted as being shot in Super Technirama 70 looked very good going back to Solomon and Sheba from 1959.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
john a hunter said:
Great cover. Was it stereo or rechanneled mono like the other(later?) release?

Na, fake stereo. Never any real stereo album release, if a stereo master ever existed it's probably long gone by now.

john a hunter

Screenwriter
If it was original stereo, which I doubt, why bother to turn it into fake "electronic" stereo later?
Doesn't make any sense.
Shame though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks