What's new

The Upside (2019) (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I can't comment on the film until Tuesday since I've delayed my viewing of it to accommodate another film, but I will say that its #1 opening and overperformance is certainly a happy ending for the project after its release was significantly delayed by The Weinstein Company's implosion.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I can't comment on the film until Tuesday since I've delayed my viewing of it to accommodate another film, but I will say that its #1 opening and overperformance is certainly a happy ending for the project after its release was significantly delayed by The Weinstein Company's implosion.
This is one where I'd be very interested in an "unrated" cut on Blu-Ray, because they'd essentially finished post-production on this targeting an R rating when the Weinstein Company imploded. When STX Entertainment took over distribution, it mandated a PG-13 rating which necessitated going back into the editing room.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
I had initially planned on skipping this one after reading the awful reviews. Instead, I checked out a DVD copy of The Intouchables from the local library. What a delightful film.

Now, I'm so curious to see what they've done with this remake that I'll probably go see it this week.

The Intouchables was Rated R, but only for about 30-40 uses of the f word. I wonder if it was just language that was cleaned up for the PG-13 rating of the new one.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Yeah, I didn't think The Intouchables needed to be R either. I love that film but the language is not particularly necessary to its storytelling; they could have easily made the same movie without as much language as it had. I'm not surprised that they've elected to make this one PG-13 and I doubt it seriously harmed the film in any way.

Of course, I'll know more on Tuesday.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
I'll throw my two cents in as I just got back from seeing The Upside. As I said previously, I saw The Intouchables for the first time last night. It was nice having the original film so fresh in my mind for comparison's sake.

The first hour of the remake didn't work for me at all. They made the characters far more mean and unlikable than the original film did. I could totally buy into Omar Sy charming his way into the job. Not so with Kevin Hart. The scenes which set up the entire premise were shorter and felt rushed, whereas they gave those scenes breathing room in The Intouchables. There were a few other key scenes later in the film that were shortened as well, and therefore less effective.

The second half gets a little better and there are a few scenes where Kevin Hart has some good lines. However, they made quite a few changes to the original story that were for the worse. I think the remake would have been much better if they had just stuck to the original story with the original characters.

After seeing both, I'm convinced that the reason for the big discrepancy between the critics and audiences scores is because most critics have seen the original film. I'm sure most of the audiences polled had not. What's also interesting to me is that the trailer for The Upside was edited together in such a way that it has much of the delightful charm of The Intouchables. The movie itself doesn't succeed at this, with the exception of a couple of scenes.

The Intouchables A
The Upside C-

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I I saw The Intouchables for the first time last night. It was nice having the original film so fresh in my mind for comparison's sake.

I own The Intouchables and have seen it several times, though not lately. I decided that, for me, it makes sense to go into the remake without rewatching the original first, so as to allow the remake to be its own film. I'm glad you saw the original first, and seeing them close together in your circumstance makes sense, but I don't want to be any more biased toward the original than I already am. It feels like if I were to watch the original film tonight, I would be setting up the remake to disappoint me, whereas having some distance from it may help. We'll see tomorrow.

Incidentally, the movie I chose to see yesterday instead of The Upside is sticking around at my arthouse for another week, but only once daily at 10:15pm, which is too late for me. Because i have been invested in this remake for several years, it feels weird that I didn't get to it on opening weekend, but it's a good thing I chose to see the other one, since I wouldn't have been able to do it next weekend.

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I just purchased The Intouchables from iTunes for $4.99. Looking forward to watching it.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
what What WHAT!!:D
I have never had such an agonizingly slow experience in a theater before or since. Nothing about the movie worked. It wasn't tense, it wasn't scary, the big reveals were telegraphed way in advance. It wasn't even so-bad-it's-good. It was just bad.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I have never had such an agonizingly slow experience in a theater before or since. Nothing about the movie worked. It wasn't tense, it wasn't scary, the big reveals were telegraphed way in advance. It wasn't even so-bad-it's-good. It was just bad.
What movie are we talking about?

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Hereditary.

Suffice to say I disagree with all of Adams points.

Thanks for clearing that up since I was confused too. I know we should stick with The Upside but I'll throw in my 2 cents on Hereditary, where I mainly agree with Adam. Imho Hereditary was a slow-moving mess of a movie—although the good performances for me at times made it compelling, although compelling in kind of the way that watching a slow-moving train wreck is compelling. Truly a weird film.

Anyway, back to The Upside. I haven't seen the original, and so don't have that point of comparison.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
I decided that, for me, it makes sense to go into the remake without rewatching the original first, so as to allow the remake to be its own film. I'm glad you saw the original first, and seeing them close together in your circumstance makes sense, but I don't want to be any more biased toward the original than I already am. It feels like if I were to watch the original film tonight, I would be setting up the remake to disappoint me, whereas having some distance from it may help. We'll see tomorrow.
I think you're correct. Had I seen them years apart, the differences wouldn't have quite as glaring and I might have appreciated the remake slightly more. I'll be curious as to what you think of it after you see it.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I didn’t even know that The Upside was a remake. Thanks @Jake Lipson for bringing it to my attention. Watched the trailer. Looked great. $4.99. Bingo!:)

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
You are welcome @Tino. I'm guessing most people don't know it's a remake, since the original only grossed $10 million in the United State (although it was a huge hit internationally.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks