What's new

The Twilight Time News and Info Thread (1 Viewer)

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
Mill Creek says they do not have rights to Sony/Columbia Hammer Film "Cash on Demand";
Would be nice to get USA release from Twilight Time.

Twilight Time

Insider
Real Name
Twilight Time
Nick,

Is there a chance any of these titles are coming out via Twilight Time? I know you can't answer directly, but. some of us will be jumping on this UK box set.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07B62T...er-21&linkId=3e3da7f6f4f15f1d12051fe8f598f218
As of this time, although we do have the titles under license, Sony's asset management team have advised us the transfers don't meet their QC standards enforced in the U.S. Apparently the UK doesn't operate under such restrictions, but we do have to conform to those requirements under the guidelines of our license agreement here. This has affected our ability to release a number of other titles that are also out in other territories. We understand that many members will likely want to obtain this set, so they must do what they must, but we have no choice but to wait until such time in the future when better masters may be generated.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Thank you for the reply. Cash on Demand is such an excellent little film that I'm hoping for a USA release.

An excellent little film it is, with a great Peter Cushing performance. It makes great "alt-Christmas" viewing as well. I was staring at that new UK box set on a shelf a few days ago at my local video specialty store, thinking "extended version, $85, extended version, $85, extended version, $85".

tenia

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rémy
As of this time, although we do have the titles under license, Sony's asset management team have advised us the transfers don't meet their QC standards enforced in the U.S. Apparently the UK doesn't operate under such restrictions, but we do have to conform to those requirements under the guidelines of our license agreement here.

I'm very surprised by this statement since, for instance, both Indicator and TT have released The Stone Killer in 2017 (with only 3 months apart from each release), using the same pre-existing HD master, which certainly isn't as outdated as The Reckoning's or Castle Keep's ones, but is still very visibly dated (like many of the Bronson movies' current masters). I'm wondering why the standards for this one were the same in the UK and the US, seemingly, and thus wonder how a transfer must look to pass these standards / requirements / guidelines / agreement.

TT also chose to release the Woody Allen movies despite many of the pre-existing HD masters being vastly dated.

It thus looks to be a more complicated situation than just "UK standards are lower than US ones" and rather a case of labels trying to do their best with what's available at a given time and choosing to go ahead or not with material that isn't always optimal.

Editorial choices, really.

Last edited:

Twilight Time

Insider
Real Name
Twilight Time
I'm very surprised by this statement since, for instance, both Indicator and TT have released The Stone Killer in 2017 (with only 3 months apart from each release), using the same pre-existing HD master, which certainly isn't as outdated as The Reckoning's or Castle Keep's ones, but is still very visibly dated (like many of the Bronson movies' current masters). I'm wondering why the standards for this one were the same in the UK and the US, seemingly, and thus wonder how a transfer must look to pass these standards / requirements / guidelines / agreement.

TT also chose to release the Woody Allen movies despite many of the pre-existing HD masters being vastly dated.

It thus looks to be a more complicated situation than just "UK standards are lower than US ones" and rather a case of labels trying to do their best with what's available at a given time and choosing to go ahead or not with material that isn't always optimal.

Editorial choices, really.

Hi Remy - we know how much you love to run your anti-TT agenda - we appreciate your dedication to the practice. But as usual you are wrong, or deliberately misunderstanding our earlier post - it has nothing to do with "standards" - it has to do with restrictions that are in place here, versus the UK. Yes, we released THE STONE KILLER because Sony's asset management team decreed that master was good enough. Whereas, CASTLE KEEP for example is not. Hence, we have not released that title here. You incorrectly reference our Woody Allen releases by saying "many of the existing masters being vastly dated." Those are MGM/UA titles, which as everybody knows have the lowest transfer standards in the business. Our earlier post is about Sony titles ONLY. And the facts are the facts. Nothing to do with editorial choices. In the UK Powerhouse / Indicator has no restrictions on the transfer quality they choose to release ( that is a choice, actually.) But in the US, we are only allowed to proceed with Sony masters approved by the asset management team (no editorial choices there.)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Hi Remy - we know how much you love to run your anti-TT agenda - we appreciate your dedication to the practice. But as usual you are wrong, or deliberately misunderstanding our earlier post - it has nothing to do with "standards" - it has to do with restrictions that are in place here, versus the UK. Yes, we released THE STONE KILLER because Sony's asset management team decreed that master was good enough. Whereas, CASTLE KEEP for example is not. Hence, we have not released that title here. You incorrectly reference our Woody Allen releases by saying "many of the existing masters being vastly dated." Those are MGM/UA titles, which as everybody knows have the lowest transfer standards in the business. Our earlier post is about Sony titles ONLY. And the facts are the facts. Nothing to do with editorial choices. In the UK Powerhouse / Indicator has no restrictions on the transfer quality they choose to release ( that is a choice, actually.) But in the US, we are only allowed to proceed with Sony masters approved by the asset management team (no editorial choices there.)

A stylish and deadly riposte! :) Well done!

tenia

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rémy
Hi Remy - we know how much you love to run your anti-TT agenda - we appreciate your dedication to the practice.

Quite a dispensable ad hominem remark, but hey, what does one has to do to discredit the person instead of the argument the person explains ?

What you seem unwilling to understand is that there is no agenda, only my customer's view.
As I wrote many times, nothing deters me from championing and buying your releases when they're technically and editorially commendable. That's why I own 24 of them, and will probably add up to 13 of them in the near future (I definitely need to get Boxcar Bertha, The Quiet American and The Bullet Train, notably, plus most likely The Incident).

However, as a customer, I see stuff and read stuff and yes, can be wrong in some of my conclusions based on these. I'm happy, like in this one, to learn a new thing and stand corrected, because yes, I can learn. and prefer to be corrected than remain in the wrong.

Since you've released movies through Sony masters that look as dated as some released in the UK, you might understand how one might put these releases versus your statement and wonder how come.

I wrote about the WA movies because outside of the indeed mostly obsolete MGM masters, Husbands and Wives is Sony and also a dated master (like many of the Bronson movies, as written above, which are Sony and dated) (though I suppose one could argue the MGM masters are clearly worse).

I also happen to find The Stone Killer's master as dated technically speaking as Castle Keep (both being from DVD-era materials), hence my remark which isn't coming out of thin air.

This being written, again, I'm happy to learn more in details how your deal with Sony works and have my understanding corrected for the future !

Last edited:

Twilight Time

Insider
Real Name
Twilight Time
This being written, again, I'm happy to learn more in details how your deal with Sony works and have my understanding corrected for the future ![/QUOTE]

Well, that actually sounds like progress...I guess we'll know if your future posts have a different (tenor) "tenia," to them!

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Seems like Charly might belong to Disney now, and as they seem to have forgotten they made films that weren't cartoons before 1970, we probably won't see it anytime soon. That said, if it appeared I'd buy it like a shot!

Charly is indeed part of the ABC Pictures catalog owned by Disney. Several titles in this catalog have received BD (and new DVD) releases from Kino over the last year, so they would be the most likely to release Charly on BD/DVD.

tenia

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rémy
This being written, again, I'm happy to learn more in details how your deal with Sony works and have my understanding corrected for the future !

Well, that actually sounds like progress...I guess we'll know if your future posts have a different (tenor) "tenia," to them!

Honestly and sincerely, while I know how I can read sometimes, it's not my goal at all to be stubbornly wrong. We might disagree over things, and that's just how life can be sometimes, but I don't write things just for pleasure to shoot down people or their work. Never.

At worst, I can simply be a disappointed customer (or in some cases an ill-informed one), but never a mean one, and I certainly can recognize worthy releases when I see them.

However, I can also be right sometimes, despite being a foreign customer from France who doesn't work in the business. ;)

Last edited:

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Hi Nick/TT
Is there any chance at all you get license Warlords of Atlantis since it's with Sony ? It's the only one left from the Kevin Connor / John Dark "quadrilogy" that hasn't made it to home video in the USA :)
Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease ! :D
(There's also 1979's Arabian Adventure, making for a quintet, but I don't know who has the US rights to that one.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks