What's new

The Twilight Time News and Info Thread (1 Viewer)

BRAD1963

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BRAD
I guess it would depend on the price, Robert. If and when TT release it it will be around the $30 mark, so if the German release can be got for less than that, why not? Never seen the Do Not Disturb film, so that might be a pleasant bonus. Watching Caprice probably won't be compulsory!

My only concern about the German release is that the transfers are probably old scans. I do not think Fox has remastered these in 4K. Probably better to wait for a remaster.

BRAD1963

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BRAD
I, too, was hoping for this. But unless it's already been planned it looks like Fox is not actively licensing out until everything settles with the Disney sale. Doesn't bode well for Star! either.

I think TT still has Star!. But they are waiting for a 4K remaster.

Reactions: PMF

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Has there been any movement on You Were Never Lovelier?

The last response said there were ‘music rights’ (which I didn’t completely understand since the songs were written for the movie). Are they being cleared up?

Also, is Godspell an option?
I think you previously said no, but, if so, was that because the studio said no, or the source isn’t up to your standards , or you don’t want it?

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
Referring to Post 3060- Matt, I agree with you regarding Caprice. I think if it had been released even a year sooner it would've fared better with both critics and the public. It came a bit late in the international thriller intrigue-comedy genre. As a matter of fact, I was surprised how much I enjoyed it after all the bad reviews and word of mouth. There are laugh out loud funny situations in it.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
For some strange reason, I didn't buy any titles during that sale, but I just bought all four of your March releases, plus, I get a signed release of "Wuthering Heights".:D I have never seen the 1970 version of "Wuthering Heights" so I'm eager to compare it to the 1939 version.
Makes sense to me. Some titles demand the here and now - despite the presence of a sale.
BTW, which Bronte sister signed your copy?

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
If only TT could give us "Star!", as it would seem like the most organic and symbiotic follow-up to their offering of "Doctor Dolittle".

Both are 70mm!
Both are Fox!
And bookending both would be the closest we'll ever have to reuniting Rex Harrison with Julie Andrews!

Okay, so maybe that last point was a bit of a reach.
Well then, let me replace it with the hopeful possibility of FotoKem coming to the fore, again.
Do-do-do what'cha done, done, done before, baby.
Oh, yes, indeedy; FotoKem does brilliant work with that Todd-Ao process.

Last edited:

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Caprice has grown on me over the years. Do Not Disturb is kind of charmless though I love Doris and have always liked Rod Taylor.

Same with me. I enjoy Caprice now but can barely sit through Do Not Disturb, although it has a marvelous cast and a couple of fun moments here and there. Just painfully labored.

BRAD1963

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BRAD
I believe they said not long ago there would be one, I am very much interested in which one it will be!

Perhaps this?

The Stranger Wore a Gun is a 1953 Technicolor Western film directed by Andre DeToth, and starring Randolph Scott and Claire Trevor.[1] Based on the short story "Yankee Gold" by John W. Cunningham, the film is about a former spy who moves to Arizona to join a gold robbery, but reconsiders and decides to change his life. The film is one of the first 3-D western movies; it earned an estimated $1.6 million at the North American box office in 1953.[2] The supporting cast features Joan Weldon, George Macready, Alfonso Bedoya, Lee Marvin and Ernest Borgnine.

upload_2018-3-9_8-36-32.png

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
There is a German blu-ray release of Move Over Darling available in a region free collection with Caprice and Do Not Disturb. I bought mine at Amazon. They don't have it in stock currently. There may be other places to purchase it.
doris-day-premium-collection-blu-ray-caprice-move-over-darling-do-not-disturb.jpg

Looking up this set, I saw that in Germany Sony released a blu-ray of It Happened to Jane. But it's region locked. Sigh. I'd always hoped that would get a release here.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
That one is extremely underrated and one of my favorites. Any other Doris Day films on Blu-Ray overseas but not at home?

Edit: Doesn't seem to be any, at least on Amazon Germany.

Last edited:

johnmn

Grip
Real Name
John
If only TT could give us "Star!", as it would seem like the most organic and symbiotic follow-up to their offering of "Doctor Dolittle".

Both are 70mm!
Both are Fox!
And bookending both would be the closest we'll ever have to reuniting Rex Harrison with Julie Andrews!

Okay, so maybe that last point was a bit of a reach.
Well then, let me replace it with the hopeful possibility of FotoKem coming to the fore, again.
Do-do-do what'cha done, done, done before, baby.
Oh, yes, indeedy; FotoKem does brilliant work with that Todd-Ao process.

Yes, regarding Star! my understanding is that TT is waiting for the elements to be made Blu-ray-ready, and I gather the process is currently stalled (though TT is pushing). Seems odd, though, since Schawn Belston and Fotokem already have done the heavy lifting, as per this 2008 posting:

http://www.in70mm.com/news/2008/70mm_star/index.htm

Star! is # 1 on my most-wanted-Blu-ray list, so if anyone has any pull with Fox or TT, try to get this moving!!

Reactions: PMF

Gerry Todd

Auditioning
Real Name
Tammy
The Madness of King George

Would you possibly consider bringing this title to blu-ray?

It is packed with splendid visuals, a great soundtrack and Nigel Hawthorne.

The existing DVD is both rare and of marginal quality.

BTW thanks for Breaking Away. I really enjoyed it on blu-ray.
Just want to mention that I got the Madness of King George on Blu-ray last week and thoroughly enjoyed it. So timely with The Crown and Victoria playing on television. Tip of the hat to those who made it happen!

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
As for the upcoming The Birth of a Nation (1915) (The Kevin Brownlow / Photoplay Restoration; 2015) just wish they could get their hands on the Brownlow/Photoplay restorations of Greed, Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, The Student Prince, The Crowd and The Wind. Sadly these are owned by WB and they obviously don't give a rat's ass about them.

Last edited:

BRAD1963

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BRAD
As for the upcoming The Birth of a Nation (1915) (The Kevin Brownlow / Photoplay Restoration; 2015) just wish they could get their hands on the Brownlow/Photoplay restorations of Greed, Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, The Student Prince, The Crowd and The Wind. Sadly these are owned by WB and they obviously don't give a rat's ass about them.

Just because they are not on disc does not mean WB does not care about these films. They probably just do not see them as being marketable. But maybe Criterion has interest.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks