What's new

The Twilight Time News and Info Thread (3 Viewers)

JFFJ

Auditioning
Real Name
Gregory Shoemaker
Purchased Twilight Time's Blu-ray of Columbia's THE MAN FROM LARAMIE (love that 2.55:1 aspect ratio). Hoping that studio's release of DAMN THE DEFIANT, starring a cadre of wonderful British actors, including Alec Guinness, Dirk Bogarde, Anthony Quayle, and many other fine performers, will eventually see a blu-ray release. Please?

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Purchased Twilight Time's Blu-ray of Columbia's THE MAN FROM LARAMIE (love that 2.55:1 aspect ratio). Hoping that studio's release of DAMN THE DEFIANT, starring a cadre of wonderful British actors, including Alec Guinness, Dirk Bogarde, Anthony Quayle, and many other fine performers, will eventually see a blu-ray release. Please?
Next to The Egyptian, the Man From Laramie is my all time favorite TT release. Beautifully shot film and of course the wonderful James Stewart in one of his most interesting roles. You'll love the film and the presentation/transfer.

Dee Zee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom
Is The Man from Laramie out of print? Or does TT still offer this disc?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
...and also ordered Nicholas Nickleby (2002)....

Peg and I have been watching a lot of Dickens and Austen and films like Howard's End recently. Neither one of us know much of anything about Nickleby so I decided it was time to give it a try! :D

Have the kleenex handy. I haven't watched NN for a while but as I recall, though I loved it, it made me bawl.

Peg and I finally got to this title tonight.

It didn't make us bawl, Malcolm...but we both enjoyed it quite a lot. What fun--for both of us--to watch a classic Dickens tale unfold...only to have no idea what is about to happen. The countryside (and city) scenes were beautiful. And the cast was superb. What a performance from Christopher Plummer--dripping with evil! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Reactions: PMF

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Watched TT's release of Richard III a few days ago. Good movie of this disturbing play. Here's a quote from the essay by Kirgo in the booklet: "Given the holy original text, the lavish production design, and the large and distinguished cast, one might be forgiven for expecting that this Richard III would be large and epic (not to say bloated). In fact it is a lean, fast-moving, 104-minute thriller, jam-packed with juicy details...." I agree. Recommended. What a cast!

richard_iii_xxlg.jpg

Last edited:

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Also watched TT's release of Lilies in the Field. A charming and nicely made film from another era. As Kirgo writes in her essay, "By the film's end, we are totally 'with' Homer....This is thanks in no small part to the great Jerry Goldsmith's score, which somehow guides us through the narrative, serving almost as an additional, all-American character." Well said. Another recommended release.

Poster%20-%20Lilies%20of%20the%20Field%20(1963)_01.jpg

Reactions: PMF

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Finally, I watched TT's blu-ray of the fun and yet tense The Secret of Santa Vittoria, starring Anthony Quinn (as well as a real Italian town!). Another winner. As Kirgo says in her booklet essay: "Director Kramer, with screen writers Ben Maddow and William Rose adapting the best-selling novel by Robert Crichton, delivers a lovely, old-fashioned tale of courage under fire, marked by one sensational performance after another and shimmering with a splendor which is both emotional and visual."

the_secret_of_santa_vittoria-509711999-large.jpg

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
Finally, I watched TT's blu-ray of the fun and yet tense The Secret of Santa Vittoria, starring Anthony Quinn (as well as a real Italian town!). Another winner. As Kirgo says in her booklet essay: "Director Kramer, with screen writers Ben Maddow and William Rose adapting the best-selling novel by Robert Crichton, delivers a lovely, old-fashioned tale of courage under fire, marked by one sensational performance after another and shimmering with a splendor which is both emotional and visual."

the_secret_of_santa_vittoria-509711999-large.jpg

The Secret of Santa Vittoria:

Saw this one on UK TV in the late 70s - the last film I ever watched with my dear, departed uncle. It was a lovely experience and we laughed a lot watching it.

Hadn't heard of it since, and I had forgotten the film's title, but saw a DVD cover in a local department store a few years ago and immediately recognised from the cover art that it was the same film, so I snapped it up.

Recently also purchased the TT Blu, which to my eyes looks wonderful. The tapestry effect in the opening credits is something else and the cinematography of the Italian hillside locales makes this disc a treat for me.

The humour may not be to everyone's liking (I didn't laugh out loud rewatching it), but I find it to still be an uplifting film experience with equal doses of humour and suspense.

For those who already know the "Secret" of the title, my arithmetic leads me to think that the bottle transfer was realistic! Happy to hear of other views. [Is this aspect discussed in the commentary track? ...Was there a commentary track on this?]

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
[Is this aspect discussed in the commentary track? ...Was there a commentary track on this?]

You can always consult my review which, despite funky reformatting which happened during one of our server switches, can be found here.

Aside from The Egyptian, Zulu, and The Russia House, which were handled by other reviewers, I have reviewed every Twilight Time DVD and Blu-ray on the Fox and MGM side of the ledger.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
You can always consult my review which, despite funky reformatting which happened during one of our server switches, can be found here.

Aside from The Egyptian, Zulu, and The Russia House, which were handled by other reviewers, I have reviewed every Twilight Time DVD and Blu-ray on the Fox and MGM side of the ledger.

Matt, please rest assured that I did consult your review of this film before I upgraded from my DVD to the TT Blu. I notice I was remiss in not 'like'ing your well-written and balanced write-up, as like it I most certainly did. I have rectified this omission after re-reading it just now.

My questions about the commentary track that you quoted were a reflection of laziness on my part. All I needed to do was to walk over to my library and pop the disc into the player to check for the existence of a commentary track; instead I lazily added those questions for others to comment on, if anyone was so inclined.

I won't presume to speak for others, but for my part I find your (and Richard's) official reviews to be very valuable, and I refer to these as well as RAH's reviews in weighing up whether to buy / upgrade discs. What I particularly appreciate about your reviews is the in-depth coverage of the stories and characters as well as your technical appraisal. I find that is especially helpful for blind buys.

Of course, when the same titles reappear in posts on other threads such as this, and I wish to comment on the post, I tend to address it right there and then as I did here with Ben's post, rather than going back to the official reviews. I hope that is not breaching any HTF etiquette, nor being misinterpreted as a slight or a snub, as that is absolutely not where I'm coming from. I hold your reviews in high estimation.

I do also greatly appreciate the non-official posts and reviews by fellow members here. Seeing how others relate to movies from a purely fan perspective is, to me, a very valuable resource.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Matt, please rest assured that I did consult your review of this film before I upgraded from my DVD to the TT Blu. I notice I was remiss in not 'like'ing your well-written and balanced write-up, as like it I most certainly did. I have rectified this omission after re-reading it just now.

My questions about the commentary track that you quoted were a reflection of laziness on my part. All I needed to do was to walk over to my library and pop the disc into the player to check for the existence of a commentary track; instead I lazily added those questions for others to comment on, if anyone was so inclined.

I won't presume to speak for others, but for my part I find your (and Richard's) official reviews to be very valuable, and I refer to these as well as RAH's reviews in weighing up whether to buy / upgrade discs. What I particularly appreciate about your reviews is the in-depth coverage of the stories and characters as well as your technical appraisal. I find that is especially helpful for blind buys.

Of course, when the same titles reappear in posts on other threads such as this, and I wish to comment on the post, I tend to address it right there and then as I did here with Ben's post, rather than going back to the official reviews. I hope that is not breaching any HTF etiquette, nor being misinterpreted as a slight or a snub, as that is absolutely not where I'm coming from. I hold your reviews in high estimation.
Thank you for the kind words, and I hope you know I wasn't criticizing but merely stating that my reviews contain a rundown of all the bonus materials on the primary disc in the set, and anyone interested can simply pull up the review to see what bonus material is contained on any particular release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks