What's new

The Tick on tonight... first impressions? (1 Viewer)

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
I havent seen it yet but im expecting alot of laughs from this show... lets hope it lives up to MY hype...
biggrin.gif

anybody else see it? What didja think? Live up to your expectations?
------------------
The So Family Home Theater!
http://www.multimania.com/sonick182/ht/index.html
Birthday: November 29 (Sagittarius)
Horoscope:
Sagittarius - You are very sexy and women are attracted to you.

Dan Szwarc

Stunt Coordinator
I expected more laughs, but the show is RIGHT ON compared to the cartoon!
I only wish they could use American Maid and Die Fladermous.
I wonder if we'll see the Sea Urchin?

Jason Quillen

Supporting Actor
After everything I'd read I expected more. I think I might have really laughed hard once or twice, the rest were just chuckles. I'll watch some more episodes hoping it gets better. At least it has a family guy lead in (which had me rolling on the floor tonight).
JQ

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Tuned in by chance and was glad I did.
I'd seen a handful of the animated series episodes and LOVED them - I really want a box set of the animated Tick series on DVD so I can see them all.
The new live action show has already done something the animated show couldn't - a make out session between American Maid (or whatever they renamed her) and Bat Manuel. And the set and costume design - and lighting design too - was spot on.
Still, it looks short lived. It reminded me a little bit of the Police Squad tv series (that later became the Naked Gun movies) with Leslie Neilson, in that both shows seem to be doomed yet really funny, bound to become cult favorites, and maybe spawn a film.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
"THAT IS THE BIGGEST TWIRLY BIRD I'VE EVER SEEN!"
biggrin.gif

One of the best shows of this TV season. I can't wait for future episodes and I'm glad the seies is on par with the animated series.
------------------
mynewsig.jpg

Link Removed / AIM: MrMatthew / ICQ: 96444542
"I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule."
[Edited last by Matthew Chmiel on November 08, 2001 at 10:54 PM]

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Am I the only one that read the comic?
I'm glad to see more of the comic humor put in, but I wish they'd left out Batmanuel and Capt. Liberty for a few shows
Jeff Kleist

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
ICK! The whole time I sat there watching it I was looking at the time and thinking to myself how boring it was... the only time I laughed (internally) was when the Apocalypse Cow attacked at the end and Batmanuel started talking about the fire shooting from its udders. Captain Liberty was pretty decent (especially her interaction in the diner with Batmanuel), but what have they done to the Tick?!?!?! Barely a trickle of the lovable dumb Tick (God Bless Towsend Coleman) from the cartoon was there (the apartment scene was close)... but mostly it was psycho dumb cut-off-from-reality Tick.
If this is what the comic book was like, I am thrilled a thousand times over that I didn't plop down the money for a set.
I can only hope next week's episode is better... otherwise I am so out of here.

Cal S

Stunt Coordinator
I thought it pretty funny.
I used to read the comic back when in first came out (1989?) and Ben Edlund still drew it and it was great. I think you can by them in a collected trade paperback, very well worth it.
It had been so long that I read them and something was bothering me as I watched the show and I couldn't figure it out and then it hit me. It should have been obvious. His mask (or lack of) as all wrong. In the comic he has a Batman type mask over his eyes and nose. I guess they wanted everyone to know they had Puddy (sp?) from Seinfeld.
------------------
covertad.gif

calslayton.com
[Edited last by Cal S on November 09, 2001 at 08:11 AM]

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Jeff, I used to read the comic
biggrin.gif

I didnt know this was on. Ill have to look for it next week.I LOVED the cartoon as well.
------------------
Visit My Pathetic WebPage
"....With that in mind,I humbly add my own prophecy of
what the dawn of the new millennium shall bring forth-
one thousand more years of the same old crap" Jose Chung

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
I have to agree with David and Michael. I was a huge fan of the animated series and a casual reader of the comic, but I thought the live action incarnation fell completely flat. I don't think I'll bother with a second episode.
------------------
My DVD list | My personal site

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
I enjoyed it, but I think it could be better. But then again, what do you expect from a pilot? I don't think it is fair to judge a new show from the pilot because so much time is spent introducing the characters and setting things up. I'm definitely going to give it a few more weeks before passing judgement.
And Cal, the reason they removed some of the facemask is that they wanted Patrick's facial expressions to come through better. They felt that was a strong attribute for him, and didn't want to lose it.

Leroy

Second Unit
C'mon, how could you not laugh at:
"Sticky pink devil!!"
"...fight fire, with Arthur!"
"..a secret message, from my TEETH."
[Edited last by Leroy on November 09, 2001 at 08:45 AM]

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I hope this series gets a chance to develop. I think Warburton needs to up the good natured enthusiasm level even a little bit more to nail the character, but I thought it was very amusing as is.
Barry Sonnenfeld seems to get what is funny about the comics and cartoon, so I am encouraged. Of course, Sonnenfeld's previous show, Maximum Bob came out for a short run, was well reviewed, got decent ratings, and then disappeared of the face of the earth, so who knows?
Regards,
------------------
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

Doug T

Auditioning
I am always grateful when the TV powers that be have the courage to offer us something different/unique/original (of course this is not "original", but in prime-time TV world, it is incredibly different).
I loved the animated show (whenever I managed to catch it), and while the pilot last night was not particularly great, there is a lot of obvious potential (as well as some genuine laughs). Whether or not it sticks around long enough to reach that potential is a different story. And I also question whether or not, even at its best, it would ever have a very big audience.
I read a review that acknowledges that the first two episodes are kinda weak, but assures that there are better shows coming. So give it a chance and at least appreciate it for trying something different.
- Doug

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I laughed out loud several times during this, but it's not perfect. It seemed a little too rushed, like they were trying to fit too much into half an hour. Pilots often do, though. And some things that worked in live action and the animated series didn't in live-action; The Tick's rooftop bounding leaps to mind.
I was surprised how much I liked Bat Manuel and Captain Liberty, though. Edlund certainly made the best of it when he couldn't use the characters created for the animated series; I may wind up liking them more than Die Fledermaus and American Maid.
I think the show's got a pretty good chance, if only because a Barry Sonnenfeld TV series lives or dies with Liz Vassey:
"Maximum Bob" - Vassey stars - brilliant
"Fantasy Island" - Vassey a guest star - Great some weeks, awful others
"Secret Agent Man" - No Vassey - Sucked on ice
"The Tick" - Vassey a co-star - So far, looks pretty good
Coincidence? I think not.

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
I had seen the pilot a few months ago, as well but was glad to see it "finished" with music and such. I thought it was a hoot, though not yet ROTFLMAO level, but still a fun diversion. Some great lines (as pointed about above) and the whole absurd level of things bodes well. I am glad they left the mask off Puddy. Cartoon masks can be as expressive as human faces, but in the real world, they are stiff and confining. Otherwise, the suit is great (as are all the costumes). I liked Bat Manuel, though not as much as Die Fleidermaus. Captain Liberty was okay, but again, not nearly as absurd as American Maid (I mean, a superhero that kicks ass in maid outfit! Yeehaa!). This is a show that I hope they let develop as opposed to let it die off when audiences don't get it right away (and believe me, as a lead-in to Temptation Island, they aren't leading into the typical core audience). I mean, I loved the first season of the Simpsons, but it was very weak compared to it's later years when the refined the writing and animation. Speaking of Groenig, this would have done better in the hours around Simspons, Futurama, etc. How they think lovers of "reality" TV are going to get into something like this confuses me...oh well. Best of luck to it!
Bat Manuel: "I saved them three times that night, if you know what I mean."
Tick (with vapid grin on his face): "No."
Phil

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Other good lines:
"Java devil, you are my bitch!"
(Speaking of the City) "I'll spread my buttery justice over her every nook and cranny."
And you gotta love The Tick's antennae!!
laugh.gif

Not perfect, but off to a good start.
------------------
Too many DVDs, too little time...
AFI 100 Challenge - 36 to go!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.