What's new

Pre-Order The Three Stooges Collection (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (15 Viewers)

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
No Three Stooges collection is complete without Joe Besser in HD. First it was Joe in The Abbott and Costello Show and now this. I will buy this collection in whatever form it comes and be extremely grateful!

The Three Stooges Episode #178 Space Ship Sappy (1957)-121.jpg
The Three Stooges Episode #178 Space Ship Sappy (1957)-128.jpg The Three Stooges Episode #178 Space Ship Sappy (1957)-130.jpg

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Also -- if you're not releasing all 190 shorts, why include the solo shorts? The solo shorts are an appendix to the COMPLETE set. It makes no sense.

Also, Stop! Look! And Laugh! should be there.

Bravo on Three Stooges Scrapbook (although they don't say if it's the whole thing or one or both of the re-edited shorts).

If all 190 shorts are included, this will be awesome. If not, they dropped the ball.
My opinion is that if Stop Look And Laugh, and all 190 shorts aren’t included here, we’ll probably never see them on Blu-ray.
But 100 of the best isn’t bad. Had they released everything, I would have given my DVD sets to a friend, but I’ll keep them now taking up precious shelf space!

Last edited:

Mark Y

Screenwriter
One other thing worth mentioning -- though I don't know if it will affect this set (I certainly hope not):

In the last couple of years many of the shorts shown on Me-TV (not all of them, thank goodness, at least not yet) have tampering done to the end titles.

Mostly on 1930s shorts, but recently I've seen a few from the early 1940s -- the original end title will be replaced with a circa 1947-48 end title (early Shemp era) with the theater mask. On the first ones they changed, the edit was very abrupt with a jump to a different piece of music. As they've gone forward, usually the music plays straight through with only the picture portion changed.

No reason for them to do this -- but I have observed that they are replacing an end title visual with Columbia Pictures' name on it, with an end title not mentioning Columbia. And many of them skip the opening Columbia logo too -- so maybe Sony wants to de-emphasize the Columbia name (though on the main title card it still says "Columbia Pictures presents the Three Stooges") for whatever reason? Otherwise this makes no sense whatsoever, and the end titles on all the shorts on DVD are original, this is only on current TV showings.

(This is also different from the edits done to 16mm TV prints in the late 1950s where the Screen Gems logo replaced the Columbia logo. This new tampering has only started in the last couple of years.)

Anyway, I hope they don't pull these shenanigans on the Blu-Ray set.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I have to say that I might cancel my order because I watched some shorts this weekend and they weren't as funny as I remembered them. I'm going to watch some more to make sure, but a person's sense of humor does changes with age.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
So has anyone with any Sony contacts reached out to them for clarification or more detailed info? It would be great if the 100 shorts thing was simply a typo.

I am assuming for now that the mention of "cartoons" probably refers to the few Columbia theatrical cartoons (featuring caricatures of the Stooges) which were included as extras in the Ultimate Collection, and not "The New 3 Stooges" series (which Sony doesn't own).

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I have to say that I might cancel my order because I watched some shorts this weekend and they weren't as funny as I remembered them. I'm going to watch some more to make sure, but a person's sense of humor does changes with age.
I don't like to rain on anyone's parade but I watched those Indicator shorts and found them a chore to get through. I could never watch 100 of them, let alone 190. I enjoyed watching The Three Stooges in the occasional film I saw theatrically at children's Saturday morning picture shows in the UK but I find them too repetitive now.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Going through the filmography (there's an excellent detailed book on everything they did), I think it would be easy to put together 100 essential Stooges shorts. I was able to pick at least 50 that I'd consider their best or most important. Probably heavier on Curly than Shemp, but now I'm thinking Sony might be onto something if they're making it a curated set just to make it more consistently entertaining.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
I don't like to rain on anyone's parade but I watched those Indicator shorts and found them a chore to get through. I could never watch 100 of them, let alone 190. I enjoyed watching The Three Stooges in the occasional film I saw theatrically at children's Saturday morning picture shows in the UK but I find them too repetitive now.
Do the shorts at least have the correct end titles on them?

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I guess the new trend on this thread is that the Stooges shorts are tedious and difficult to watch or get through. But the fact remains the Stooges still have a lot of fans, we love the films and we would love to get them all on Blu-ray.
If a mega set would be too much, give it a pass , and spend your entertainment money on something you will enjoy more.
There’s plenty of good stuff coming out!
Those of us who love the Stooges will enjoy this set even if we wished it were more comprehensive.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I guess the new trend on this thread is that the Stooges shorts are tedious and difficult to watch or get through. But the fact remains the Stooges still have a lot of fans, we lune the films and we would love to get them all on Blu-ray.
If a mega set would be too much, give it a pass , and spend your entertainment money on something you will enjoy more.
Those of us who love the Stooges will enjoy this set even if we wished it were more comprehensive.
There is no trend. People are just expressing their honest opinions. I’m not trying to persuade anyone else about these shorts but just thinking out loud about some of the ones I watched this weekend. I will watch some more to see if my opinion changes from being lukewarm about them.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
I guess the new trend on this thread is that the Stooges shorts are tedious and difficult to watch or get through. But the fact remains the Stooges still have a lot of fans, we love the films and we would love to get them all on Blu-ray.
Agreed! I love the Stooges! I have ever since I was a kid and it wasn't JUST Curly shorts. I remember being so excited when I first saw the Joe shorts and laughing hysterically. As an adult, watching the Stooges is a complete joy. If someone finds it tedious to get through the shorts, then don't watch them. 🤷‍♂️ What can I tell you. I'm not going to force myself to watch a bunch of boring films that I consider "tedious". If it's of no interest to me, that's the end of the story. I've always been a Stooge fan and love everything they did. That's just me. Been that way since I was a kid.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Agreed! I love the Stooges! I have ever since I was a kid and it wasn't JUST Curly shorts. I remember being so excited when I first saw the Joe shorts and laughing hysterically. As an adult, watching the Stooges is a complete joy. If someone finds it tedious to get through the shorts, then don't watch them. 🤷‍♂️ What can I tell you. I'm not going to force myself to watch a bunch of boring films that I consider "tedious". If it's of no interest to me, that's the end of the story. I've always been a Stooge fan and love everything they did. That's just me. Been that way since I was a kid.
We’re happy the Stooges still work for you.:)

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
While on the subject of this set, the price hasn’t budged at Amazon. Still $230.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ybmsmoke107
Recent bookmarks