What's new

The Terminal 11/23 in a 1- and 2-disc editions! (1 Viewer)

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
I wonder if this release will have the alternate ending which is known to exist? It may not as Spielberg is known to not include deleted scenes on some of his DVDs and there was controversy over the ending as some accounts said it was shot at the last minute over poor test screenings.

It looks like the trend towards charging an excessive amount for a two-disc set could continue (in the tradition of Master and Commander and the Texas Chainsaw remake) if $29.95 is the price for the single disc.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
I long for the day when studios release 2 editions of the same movie on DVD, and instead of setting a higher SRP for the 2 disc edition, they'll set a lower SRP for the single disc edition. It might even help sales, particularly on a day when most people will be spending their hard-earned money on big releases like Harry Potter 3 and Seinfeld. :)

Ah, what can I say? I'm naive.

Chris

Travis W.

Second Unit
I like this move better than releasing the single disc, selling tons of it, then announcing a special edition. The only thing that could potentially suck is that the 2 disc will be more money than it was before when 2 disc releases were the norm (for awhile anyway).

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Also, Good luck finding the 2-dics version for rental. I really do not like this practice. If they are going to offer a cheaper alternative, then it should be cheaper as opposed to releasing a 1-disc version at a regular price and the 2-disc at a premium price. Warners is doing it right with the THX-1138 release. There will be a one disc and a two disc version. The one disc version will indeed be cheap while the two disc version will be at a relatavely, regular price.

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
Actually, it wasn't so much of an alternate ending as the original ending, though I did read that Spielberg may have shot two endings at the same time, the unused and the used one. I guess it wouldn't be too much of a spoiler, as it wasn't used, but I'll put it in invisotext anyway:

Spoiler:In the unused ending, the characters played by Tom Hanks and Catherine Zeta-Jones get together romantically . In the theatrical ending, they don't.

Frankly, I kind of prefer the original ending as it better fits the romantic and fanciful tone of the movie. I think this was one case where a filmaker felt pressured to use the less happy ending.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
Finally! DTS and Dolby combined. Can't wait for the reviews.

The parts of the track handled by Dolby were very good indeed but when the DTS parts kicked in the track really opened up and became more enveloping, full and airy.

DTS portion:star: :star: :star: :star:
DD portion:star: :star: :star:

:D

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Something is wrong! The picture of the LE dvd case states it's a 3-disc release while the Amazon link says it's a 2-disc one.

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
I'm just wondering why DreamWorks has decided to release a bare-bones disc for $30 retail and you are forced to get the CD soundtrack just to get extras on a second disc, all for $40 retail? Well, I do think $10 is worth extras and a CD, but $30 just for the movie (even with a discount, it's quite high)? I'm getting this information from the scans for the rear covers of both editions at DVD Empire. The single disc version does not have any extras listed.

After everyone complained that Paramount was doing the exact same thing with their bare-bones titles (e.g., Planes, Trains and Automobiles comes to mind), they are finally releasing their bare-bones titles for $15 retail (e.g., Foul Play comes to mind).

And after Catch Me if You Can was released as a 2-disc edition...?

:confused:

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
It's under $25 at Amazon after STL. Nice deal for 2 DVDs and a CD (which I don't really have use for, even though I liked the score).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks