What's new

The Story of John Wayne's HONDO in 3-D (1 Viewer)

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack Theakston
In response to some misinformed articles being published, we have a web page up with "The Truth About Hondo". I thought I'd share it with you folks here, because I know there are a lot of cinephiles out there who have probably been following some of the recent articles about the film's revival lately. I hope it's not TOO much information for you general readers, but once we started, it was hard not to put up all that we had. Note that this is an interactive web page; click on the blue links for the various articles and advertisements mentioned.

http://www.3dfilmpf.org/info-hondo.html

HONDO had the one of the largest 3-D releases of any film in the 1950s. And it was shot in the dual camera method (and shown in the 2 projector, Polaroid method). One other note: As mentioned (and documented) in the article, HONDO was shot and meant to be shown as a wide screen film, at 1.85:1.

Please forward this link to any interested parties.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Jack,

Thank you for posting the link and for alerting us to this valuable website.

My thanks to you and Bob Furmanek for all the time and effort you invested into researching HONDO 3-D. Here I thought I was knowledgeable, but I'm learning from your scholarship.

Misinformation and misconceptions about stereoscopic cinema are compounded and perpetuated every day. Your history of HONDO 3-D is a positive step in disseminating correct and factual information.

Minionman70

Auditioning
Real Name
Martin Pulakowski
So funny, about ten years ago I started a 3-D glasses collection, and coming across the Hondo glasses, many sellers listed them as from 1953, though the artwork and design is clearly 80s-90s in font and style. See attached.

Just in comparison to my 13 ghosts glasses (from that era, or close enough) there is no way these Hondo glasses are 50s!

As a lark, I went on ebay to look for these again, after reading the fantastic articles linked here... and while MOST sellers admit they are 1991, there seems to be confusion as to why they were released. One says they were for a theatrical re-release, anthor said they came along with the VHS home video release, and yet ANOTHER said that these were sold retail for when Hondo played on television for charity!

At least we got the date right now....

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
I bought those glasse that your pictured from 7-11 for a dollar each in 1991 when HONDO aired as a special on television. It had been converted to the inferior anaglyph for broadcasting.

HONDO never had a home video in anaglyph, although many 3-D practitioners and fans, myself included, taped the anaglyph broadcast off the air to watch again with the glasses. The depth perception almost worked in the broadcast but it flattened into nothing on the playback.

If you live in the Los Angeles area you don't want to miss HONDO projected in authentic 3-D on November 13.

How about posting a picture of your 13 Ghosts glasses?

I've seen all of William Castle's 3-D films for Columbia, which have been restored, projected in state-of-the-art 3-D and brilliant Technicolor. He really mastered the stereoscopic language. I learned from these films that Castle was a first-rate entertainer long before he started making low budget b&w horror films with outlandish gimmicks to take the place of 3-D. I enjoy 13 Ghosts but I do wish his earlier 3-D films were available on DVD. People would find out just how accomplished William Castle was.

Ar3d

Auditioning
Real Name
Ared
Before it was made in film, it was a classic western novel by Louis L'Amour...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks