What's new

The Steve Simon Home Theater Experience (1 Viewer)

GaryMil

Stunt Coordinator
A couple of days ago I sent Steve an email requesting an audition of the Outlaw 950 and the SVS subs. Steve called my home and graciously invited me for a demo. Well, needless to say I and a neighbor rushed over to his home which turned out to be no more then 3 miles away.

Steve lives in a beautiful home decorated and landscaped very nicely.

Anwyway, he led us downstairs and we got to see the famous Steve Simon home theater. And there it was, sitting in the cabinet under his Mitsubishi HDTV, the Outlaw 950 preamp.

Anyway, the Outlaw is powered by a number of Parasound amps, and the twin SVS subs are powered by a Samson amp. His speakers were Paradigm Studio 100s for mains and an assortment of Studio's for the other six.

The first Demo was the Star Wars 1 DVD. Amazing picture quality and the sound was extroadinary. Crystal clear dialogue, excellent seperation, and those SVS subs, sheesh.

Anyway he treated us to a little Matrix(Lobby scene of course) and some Gladiator. I have seen these DVD's on my home theater(which ain't half bad), numerous times but I heard things on Steves that I never detected before. I have to say this is one hell of a home theater and it appears that the 950 has quite a bit to do with it.

By the way I detected some hiss when I placed my ear approximately 1-2" from the huge studio mains, but that was about it, so as far as the hissing thing is concerned, the unit that Steve has isn't affected by it.

Anyway, the first thing I did when I got home was to re-evaluate my setup. I played the exact same chapters and they do sound good, but not nearly as good as Steves setup. It looks like the upgrade bug is about to bite again.

Steve, let me know when you are free. I would love to have you over for a demo. For the record I have B&W CDM7 se for the mains, CDMC Center, Rock solids rear, Sherbourn 5/1500a amp and a Denon 2801 acting as a preamp.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks